Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2021, 04:22   #991

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Most interesting. Only a short time in office. Most impressive, El Ping!!
I'm trying hard not to give away the answer to your intriguing question, El Ping.

It leads to another question, quite relevant to CF. Only problem is I do not know the answer to it:

How many Australian prime minister were fathered by the senior officer of a ship (counting captain, master, chief officer etc as 'senior officers')?
Old 22-09-2021, 05:18   #992

Boat: Island Packet 40

Just watching a TV show has an explanation of how the so called "vacine passport" is going to look and it's starting to look a bit like the Social credit" system in China.
Old 22-09-2021, 05:50   #993

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Just watching a TV show has an explanation of how the so called "vacine passport" is going to look and it's starting to look a bit like the Social credit" system in China.
Not surprising, modern tech and all
Nought to do with China, they just did it better and before others.
The west are now the copiers.
I'm guessing all those rat lickers will be second thinking their decision if that happens.
(Oh No, maybe I shouldn't have been such a twat on social media and in front of all those street, shopfront cameras)
Old 22-09-2021, 06:13   #994
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Your homework questions are: How many ex-state premiers have made a transition to federal parliament in Aus? How many have become PM?
Dunno how many and too lazy to research it but surely the best giggle was the 'Joh for PM' caper.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-09-2021, 07:20   #995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dunno how many and too lazy to research it but surely the best giggle was the 'Joh for PM' caper.
That about sums it up, Wotname! A joke perpetrated on the electorate by a clown. Don't you worry about that.

For the record, about 30 former state premiers made the transition to federal parliament (either the Senate or the House of Representatives). If we work on the assumption that not many CF members were around before WW2, we might also note that only 6 premiers have made the transition since 1945.

Only two former state premiers became prime ministers: Joe Lyons from Tasmania (and the only Tasmanian to be PM to date; Prime Minister No. 10, in office from 1932 until his death in 1939); and George Reid (from NSW; PM No. 4, in office 1904-1905. Reid has the distinction of being a premier of a colony, i.e. before federation in 1901, then being a PM; and finally being a member of the UK House of Commons).

So if history is any guide, Gladys Berejiklian has a very low chance of making the transition from state premier to federal parliament and even lower chance of becoming PM.

The answer to El Pinguino's follow-up question is: one Chilean born person became PM. That person is generally called John Christian Watson or Chris Watson in Australia, born as Johan Cristian Planck on 9 April 1867 in Valpariso, Chile. His father, also Johan Cristian Planck, was born in Chile of German ancestry. Chris Watson was PM no. 3, in office for only a few months in 1904 (and followed by Geo Reid).

JCP senior is described as Chief Officer of the brig La Joven Julia in one source, but another source suggests he was perhaps a ship's carpenter. JCP arrived in NZ on the Julia on 24 December 1865 and one month later married a 16-year old lass, Martha Minchin. Martha travelled with JCP on the Julia to Guam (departed NZ on 2 Feb) and thence to Valpariso. The personal history of JPC senior is unclear (no date of death or divorce?). Martha showed up with JPC junior in NZ, described herself as a widow, and in 1868 married George Thomas Watson.

If challenged at the time, I reckon Chris Watson would have failed the test of Section 44(i) of the Australian constitution about nationality.

All sources suggest that Chris Watson encouraged or misled people to believe that his biological father was George Watson and that he held NZ nationality (which would still have disallowed him on the Section 44(i) test).

Of course, Chris Watson was not the only member of the Australian federal parliament to have been in the position of failing the Section 44(i) test should anyone have made a challenge. Perhaps the most famous such MP is King O'Malley, Minister for Home Affairs under PM Andrew Fisher and again under PM Billy Hughes.

For the benefit of international CF members: although Australian history is usually covered in schools in Aus, few school systems have a dedicated Civics class. Ignorance of the Australian constitution and the standard procedures of the Australian political system is the rule, not the exception among the electorate (and remember, with few exceptions all Aus over 18 are obliged to register on the electoral roll and, again with a few exceptions, to make some gesture towards casting a ballot at federal elections).

You might even form the opinion that Aus politicians prefer an ignorant electorate, all the better to fool them. If you were bold you might even say that Aus is a democracy in form, but not in essence.

So an opportunity exists for El Ping, should he again make it to Chile, or any enterprising member of the Chilean diplomatic corps, to do some research to discover the nature of employment of John Cristian Planck and the details of his demise.

Of course, the recent revelation that the Aus govt directed its spy agency to set up an office in Santiago during the rule of President Salvador Allende, ready to do dirty work interfering in an elected government at the beck and call of the US, may not warm Chilean hearts towards Australia. Those Australians who believe that the US interfered in Australian politics and an Aus federal election do not hold a warm place for the US in their hearts.

https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliam..._Guides/AustPM
https://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/wat...ian-chris-9003
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Watson
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Reid
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Lyons
Old 22-09-2021, 07:24   #996
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Not surprising, modern tech and all
Nought to do with China, they just did it better and before others.
The west are now the copiers.
I'm guessing all those rat lickers will be second thinking their decision if that happens.
(Oh No, maybe I shouldn't have been such a twat on social media and in front of all those street, shopfront cameras)
The EU legislation supporting the vaccine database is temporary and will lapse at year end.
Old 22-09-2021, 15:40   #997

You blokes are obviously the products of a perverted education system.

Old Joh produced something like 29 balanced budgets in a row whilst driving the greatest increase in economic activity and infrastructure building of any state in Australia in our national history. He also refused to allow poker machines because he thought they were the "opiate of the masses" and in spite of the lefts claims that he ran a "police state" did not allow police to use rubber bullets against demonstrators or arrest grandma or pregnant women and handcuff them in front of their thereby terrorized children. He did refuse to issue demonstration permits for city streets during the working week however which lead to a demonization campaign against him by the ABC.

If you want to discuss a history which occurred during the cold war, balance requires one to consider the previous human rights history of the leadership of the west's protagonists and their propensity to only ever have a single proper democratic election to gain power and then corrupting the system to retain power.

Dangerous Dan has not had a parliamentary sitting since he passed his emergency legislation and will misuse it stall as long as possible to avoid any proper scrutiny. His grounding of all news helicopters so that the media could not show the full extent of the demonstration is another first in Australia. Let is hope that the federal government does not have to put armed troops on the street to prevent DDs politicized police force from harming the populace.
Old 22-09-2021, 15:51   #998

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:

Old Joh produced something like 29 balanced budgets in a row whilst driving the greatest increase in economic activity and infrastructure building of any state in Australia in our national history. He also refused to allow poker machines because he thought they were the "opiate of the masses" and in spite of the lefts claims that he ran a "police state" did not allow police to use rubber bullets against demonstrators or arrest grandma or pregnant women and handcuff them in front of their thereby terrorized children. He did refuse to issue demonstration permits for city streets during the working week however which lead to a demonization campaign against him by the ABC.

If you want to discuss a history which occurred during the cold war, balance requires one to consider the previous human rights history of the leadership of the west's protagonists and their propensity to only ever have a single proper democratic election to gain power and then corrupting the system to retain power.

Dangerous Dan has not had a parliamentary sitting since he passed his emergency legislation and will misuse it stall as long as possible to avoid any proper scrutiny. His grounding of all news helicopters so that the media could not show the full extent of the demonstration is another first in Australia. Let is hope that the federal government does not have to put armed troops on the street to prevent DDs politicized police force from harming the populace.
The scones! You failed to mention the scones!!

The 'no fly zone' over Melbourne is to stop the demonstrators-in-charge from using live feeds to monitor what is going on - unless of course one reads the Murdoch press.
Old 22-09-2021, 16:09   #999

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I see in the NYT this morning it says that Moderna is vastly superior to Phizer.

So what now? Are the over 60s now going to go ' the full baboon in the mealie patch' , drop their Phizer, and start demanding Moderna?

Sooks.

75 to 80 group has now cracked the 95% vaxxed mark
Old 22-09-2021, 16:18   #1000

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:

The problem is that Victoria now has Stockholm syndrom.
Old 22-09-2021, 16:22   #1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I see in the NYT this morning it says that Moderna is vastly superior to Phizer.

So what now? Are the over 60s now going to go ' the full baboon in the mealie patch' , drop their Phizer, and start demanding Moderna?

Sooks.

75 to 80 group has now cracked the 95% vaxxed mark
New and better things will always come on the market. Do you change your boat everytime a better one comes out??

You pls. need to get the very original point , Freedom of choice , that is all that is asked for.

I got my Pfizer and i will get my second Pfizer soon. As it looks , all the vaccines will loose their strength in time so boosters will be yearly so may be if a better booster comes out in time and it is not Pfizer and the medical opinion ,not political opinion, says it is compatible with my Pfizer i might choose that booster in time.
Old 22-09-2021, 16:25   #1002

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/h...-vaccines.html

Is the difference purely that each dose of Moderna has more mRNA content than a dose of BioNTech/Pfizer?
Old 22-09-2021, 16:30   #1003

Quote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/22/h...-vaccines.html

Is the difference purely that each dose of Moderna has more mRNA content than a dose of BioNTech/Pfizer?
need to pay to read.
Old 22-09-2021, 17:04   #1004
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

I guess DD must have been taking a few lessons from the Joh script then.

Let's see - what were some of Joh's greatest achievements afters holding the helm of the good ship Queensland for some 18 years and keeping her on a steady course. Possibly the best police force money could buy!

Commissioner of the Queensland Police Service (Terence Murray Lewis) who was convicted and jailed for corruption and forgery as a result of the Fitzgerald Inquiry. He was stripped of his knighthood.

Joh himself was in the dock for perjury. Now he did dodge that one but only after a deadlocked jury resulting in a mistrial. But it gets better - later on we find the jury foreman, Luke Shaw, was a member of the Young Nationals ( Joh was a National), was identified with the "Friends of Joh" movement and had misrepresented the state of deliberations to the judge.

Joh himself resigned as Premier after an unsuccessful attempt to have the Governor of Queensland sack all of his ministers after they had deposed him as party leader.

Of course the above are only titbits from The Fitzgerald Inquiry, the full story is a fascinating tale of corruption right across Queensland with several minsters doing time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitzge...togenerated1-4
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-09-2021, 17:05   #1005

Quote:
The 'no fly zone' over Melbourne is to stop the demonstrators-in-charge from using live feeds to monitor what is going on - unless of course one reads the Murdoch press.
BS, All they had to do is explain why and instruct the news organizations to only release the footage to free to air. With the time lag it's then useless to the demonstrators.

DD does not want the public to know how large the demonstrations are.

The news blackout by the police has now been challenged in the Federal Court and it will be interesting to see how that comes out.

Tags
Australia