Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2021, 06:48   #1021
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Feel free to be my guest and go and fok your hat.
(Anyone who as read Newby's 'Last Grain Race ' will know that is acceptable language - its Swedish)
You might be very surprised at what's, sometimes, not deemed acceptable language, on this forum.
For instance: "Bless your heart" was recently deemed “coarse and vulgar language”, as “translated” [to 'F-U'], by a Moderator.

Old 23-09-2021, 14:00   #1022

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Der Beek View Post
/Off topic

Ah yes, that's when his fellow English (colonials) blew their wig over a 3% tea tax (Tea is very important to the English) and went into an armed revolution.

Over Tea.

/Back to topic
But then again the French started a much more serious, stormed the jails, extensive parting of the intellect from the digestion, riot over cake from which they've never really recovered.
Old 23-09-2021, 14:07   #1023

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I went to school in the USA. Although taught about the "Boston Tea Party" in high school (yrs. 9 thru 12); it was taught as an act of civil disobedience, in response to "taxation without representation." Very different from what happened in France, in a time of famine, as well as political unrest. Also, the French were French, whereas the Colonies were mainly emigrant landholders, who were using English "criminals" as indentured servants (yes, we were a penal colony, too), and religious sectarians who left England voluntarily to start up their religions without government interference, which is why church and state are supposed to be separate in the US. How this all works out is yet to be determined, imo.

Ann
Old 23-09-2021, 14:19   #1024

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Speak of drift!

Old 23-09-2021, 15:28   #1025
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Its ratbags of assorted complexion

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/v...22-p58tsq.html
Nobody down here gives a monkey's banana about these people - in fact just the opposite
Cupla hundred fokwits in the midst of a population of about 6 million

That's what the media has portrayed - I have a very good friend in Melbourne who has a construction company and he and his staff were all there - The police tactics were one of provocation as is shutting down a whole industry, where many of its employees live week to week and are reliant on their salary to simply live and buy food.

I think you'll also find that a LOT more people in this country do CARE about such people and the real fokwits are the ones supporting such Draconian measures by the state governor, but I suppose you think Rubber bullets, Rubber Grenades, batons and pepper spray is OK, did you see the video of a 70 year old woman that was shoved to the ground by police and then pepper sprayed - Is that really OK? This along with the media blackout that was involved, they even had facebook onside with no live streaming so no one really could see what was happening at the time - Welcome to China in Australia.
Old 23-09-2021, 16:08   #1026

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
That's what the media has portrayed - I have a very good friend in Melbourne who has a construction company and he and his staff were all there - The police tactics were one of provocation as is shutting down a whole industry, where many of its employees live week to week and are reliant on their salary to simply live and buy food.

I think you'll also find that a LOT more people in this country do CARE about such people and the real fokwits are the ones supporting such Draconian measures by the state governor, but I suppose you think Rubber bullets, Rubber Grenades, batons and pepper spray is OK, did you see the video of a 70 year old woman that was shoved to the ground by police and then pepper sprayed - Is that really OK? This along with the media blackout that was involved, they even had facebook onside with no live streaming so no one really could see what was happening at the time - Welcome to China in Australia.
I support your view entirely and even the police commander has retracted from making the statement that it was 99% neo nazis as it cleaqrly was not. The current police measures in Victoria are outright frightening and way over the top and the fact that DD wants to extend the emergeny laws again to keep victorians locked up has to end. This can not go on in australia , we buy nuc subs to defend our way of life against china , who defends us from internal communist takeover in victoria.

Victoria needs help urgently.
Old 23-09-2021, 16:16   #1027
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

Do you know the actual issue(s) your friend and his staff were protesting about?

It is hard to tell from the various media reports.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 23-09-2021, 16:25   #1028

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
An individual (or a group, for that matter) cannot 'be' an illegal; they can commit an illegal act which is punishable (or correctable) by law.

Words have meanings and consequences, and are often used to take advantage of both the gullible and the disadvantaged.

Using the term 'illegal' in such context is inflammatory, usually racist and displays an often malicious intent and ignorance that is both appalling and repulsive.

The use, or misuse, of the term by governments carries it's own set of problems, as it encourages the almost redundant assumption of guilt, especially by those, accurately or not, who've learned to associate such fearmongering with blanket guilt. Again, if a government decides that someone is 'illegal' because they've nowhere else to live, what use is that government?

And the (re)adoption of that attitude leaves us where? I'd say right back to 1990's Rawanda, or 1930's Central Europe, or 19th century Australia, or the 'Americas' circa the 16th through the 19th centuries, or any number of similar eras down through 'human' history...
I disagree with your interpretation of illegal , may be your view is that we ALL are children of this World and we can move around freely wherever we want but in reality that has never been the case and will never be the case. Your are born in a country and you are a citizen of that country , you can live there. If you dont want to live there or you feel you can make more money and have a better life in another country , well you can not just walk in as it is deemed illegal.

What about all those people in Texas right now under the bridges? Have they illegally or legally entered the US? Would you like the US to just accept them and let them in?
Old 23-09-2021, 16:49   #1029

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
While I am not exactly sure of your question, I think it fair to say that Aussies mostly think all politicians of any party are about trust worthy as used car salesmen. We rarely vote an opposing party in, we mostly vote a sitting party out when their lying becomes untenable.

Covid hasn't changed this.
I think that's a little hard on used car salesmen.
Old 23-09-2021, 17:59   #1030
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Do you know the actual issue(s) your friend and his staff were protesting about?

It is hard to tell from the various media reports.

Well its now also about the fact that have shut them down from work, but it was about enforcing all construction workers to be double jabbed.
Old 23-09-2021, 18:03   #1031
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
An individual (or a group, for that matter) cannot 'be' an illegal; they can commit an illegal act which is punishable (or correctable) by law.

Words have meanings and consequences, and are often used to take advantage of both the gullible and the disadvantaged.

Using the term 'illegal' in such context is inflammatory, usually racist and displays an often malicious intent and ignorance that is both appalling and repulsive.

The use, or misuse, of the term by governments carries it's own set of problems, as it encourages the almost redundant assumption of guilt, especially by those, accurately or not, who've learned to associate such fearmongering with blanket guilt. Again, if a government decides that someone is 'illegal' because they've nowhere else to live, what use is that government?

And the (re)adoption of that attitude leaves us where? I'd say right back to 1990's Rawanda, or 1930's Central Europe, or 19th century Australia, or the 'Americas' circa the 16th through the 19th centuries, or any number of similar eras down through 'human' history...
The label Racist is so easily thrown at people I sometimes wonder if the people who throw it know what it actually means...
*Racist... A person who is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.*
Now in the UK we have 'Illegal Immigrants' from every race and ethnicity.. White, Brown, Black and Yellow.. an Illegal Immigrant is someone who enters a country by means not legal..
Legal = applying for a visa and only coming when one is granted..
Not legal is jumping in a dinghy, breaking into an HGV trailer in Calais, trying to walk in via the Channel Tunnel.. or as is often the case overstaying their visa and trying to work in the underground cash in hand workforce.. this is also illegal.. its called Tax Avoidance.
Enough with the Uber Liberal word play and fake humanity, in all likelihood your just another NIMBY in a gated community.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 23-09-2021, 18:11   #1032
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Reality of Living in Australia and Covid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You might be very surprised at what's, sometimes, not deemed acceptable language, on this forum.
For instance: "Bless your heart" was recently deemed “coarse and vulgar language”, as “translated” [to 'F-U'], by a Moderator.
I think that was more down to the real intent of the expression being identified.. one can only push the line so far.. no matter who one is.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 23-09-2021, 18:17   #1033

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Well its now also about the fact that have shut them down from work, but it was about enforcing all construction workers to be double jabbed.
Not really.

Construction workers were allowed to keep working when many people people could not.

Because they are members of the union.

The bulk of them would not wear masks as required

They would not take their crib breaks outside.

Construction sites were found to be seeding a large percentage of Covid outbreaks in Melbourne.

But they would not comply with any requirements because they are members of the union.

They were then told to get vaccinated.

So they attacked their union rooms - because they are members of the union.

Having lost patience the government shut down the construction industry.

So the workers cracked a sad - because they could - cos they are members of the union.
Old 23-09-2021, 21:03   #1034

Quote:
Not really.

Construction workers were allowed to keep working when many people people could not.

The bulk of them would not wear masks as required

They would not take their crib breaks outside.

Construction sites were found to be seeding a large percentage of Covid outbreaks in Melbourne.

But they would not comply with any requirements because they are members of the union.

They were then told to get vaccinated.

So they attacked their union rooms - because they are members of the union.

Having lost patience the government shut down the construction industry.

So the workers cracked a sad - because they could - cos they are members of the union.
DD has lost patience with everyone in victoria , let's hope the victorians will llose their patience with him at the next election. Or do we blame China if he does get re elected?
Old 24-09-2021, 01:41   #1035
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Meanwhile in other news, Aus hit 50% fully vaccinated today (over 16) and a record daily tally of 347,746 doses administered. Maybe DH was correct in predicating we would get a wriggle on.
https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP?ref_s...ation-50pct%2F
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence

Tags
Australia