Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2022, 13:48   #121
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: They Lived In a Pandemic Bubble Now Covid Has Arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgeworth View Post
Sometimes you just have to say what everybody’s thinking.

I would love to but it would get me kicked off the forum, but you get the gist.
Old 14-02-2022, 13:49   #122

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
Polio, Smallpox, Tetanus, Diptheria, Measles, and a lot of other former killers are no longer a threat because of vaccines.
Interesting that you mention those particular diseases. Notice the difference between them and the SARS CoV2?
Old 14-02-2022, 14:11   #123

[QUOTE=El Pinguino;3574506]I see Tonga is still lagging behind - 61% of total population compared with 89% in what can be considered a fully vaccinated country
[url]https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations[/url
It's almost like they are struggling with inadequate infrastructure and funding in an already poor third world country which has had its main income decimated and then got hit by an eruption and Tsunami. It's notable that they still have higher vaccination rates than Alabama which has none of those problems, just limitless inexhaustible stupidity
Old 14-02-2022, 14:40   #124

People advocating vax by force or compulsion or other threats remind me of the old meme "Will kill for peace!" Kinda sad if you think about. But here we are in 2022 and Orwell's future is here to stay.
Old 14-02-2022, 14:42   #125

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Truly one of the most horrible things I’ve ever read. Bet you’ve never been to Tongatapu either. Off to the Ignore List with you.

Faka manga manga!
To be fair, this significantly edited clip removes the full context.

(Nevertheless, I do disagree with the lack of sympathy: anyone seriously ill from COVID-19, vaccinated or unvaccinated, deserves sympathy.)
Old 14-02-2022, 14:49   #126

Boat: Westerly Sealord

[QUOTE=kiwin;3574526]
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I see Tonga is still lagging behind - 61% of total population compared with 89% in what can be considered a fully vaccinated country
[url]https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations[/url
It's almost like they are struggling with inadequate infrastructure and funding in an already poor third world country which has had its main income decimated and then got hit by an eruption and Tsunami. It's notable that they still have higher vaccination rates than Alabama which has none of those problems, just limitless inexhaustible stupidity
I don't think it is a poor country - I've never seen a hungry looking Tongan - and I think its infrastructure is reasonable. Nor do I think that access to vaccines has been a problem.

Why the low rate? Complacency when you have no cases in your country?
Religious and anti-vax groups operating in the country?
Dunno - but after a slow start Pasifika vaxx rates in NZ are much the same as Pakeha. That uptake had a lot to do with high - for NZ - death and hospitalisation rates in their community and their community leaders telling them to just get it done.
Old 14-02-2022, 14:51   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
People advocating vax by force or compulsion or other threats remind me of the old meme "Will kill for peace!" Kinda sad if you think about. But here we are in 2022 and Orwell's future is here to stay.
There is no force or compulsion to get vaxxed in Tonga.
Be a good chap - take it elsewhere.
Old 14-02-2022, 15:02   #128

I see - as stated by Gord earlier - 98% of **eligible** Tongans are vaxxed.

Is that over 18s or over 80's? Probably why although they have rising cases no deaths reported thus far.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022...-surges-to-98/
Old 14-02-2022, 15:09   #129

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

It just got to Cook Islands as well. Presumably Raro.
Old 14-02-2022, 15:42   #130

"I don't think it is a poor country - I've never seen a hungry looking Tongan - and I think its infrastructure is reasonable"

Tongan GDP/capita is $5000/year. Before Covid collapsed the tourism industry. I don't think it's infrastructure is reasonable. I think it just doesn't have any infrastructure.
Old 14-02-2022, 16:29   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwin View Post
"I don't think it is a poor country - I've never seen a hungry looking Tongan - and I think its infrastructure is reasonable"

Tongan GDP/capita is $5000/year. Before Covid collapsed the tourism industry. I don't think it's infrastructure is reasonable. I think it just doesn't have any infrastructure.
Everything is relative. I think Somali and South Sudan are poor. In Australia you are poor if you don't have a widescreen TV.

Meanwhile NZ has so far donated 47,000 doses of vaccine to Tonga
https://auckland.scoop.co.nz/2022/02...nga-and-samoa/
Old 14-02-2022, 18:35   #132

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
The only folks compelling vaccination are employers who put it on the line: "No Jab, no Job" - exercising their freedom to ensure the health and productivity of their work force. And the employees are free to choose, of course.

We fought off Orwell's Big Brother who tried, and failed to anoint himself Dictator in the attempted Coup after the last election. Remember?

But the curse of hospitals overrun by the ongoing epidemic of the un-vaccinated remains, restricting the freedom of those who desperately need access to hospital care, life-saving organ replacement and other surgeries.
Old 14-02-2022, 19:01   #133

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post

You are wrong, very wrong. I'll re-post this recent snapshot of CA cases sorted by vax. status, which is typical of the past year.
Those graphs do not show that I am wrong. I think you misinterpreted my statement which is fair because it was poorly worded.

I am claiming only that the virus will spread throughout the population regardless of if people are vaccinated or not. Everyone will be exposed if the vaccination rate is 0%, 100%, or anywhere in between.
Old 14-02-2022, 20:23   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
The only folks compelling vaccination are employers who put it on the line: "No Jab, no Job" - exercising their freedom to ensure the health and productivity of their work force. And the employees are free to choose, of course.

We fought off Orwell's Big Brother who tried, and failed to anoint himself Dictator in the attempted Coup after the last election. Remember?

But the curse of hospitals overrun by the ongoing epidemic of the un-vaccinated remains, restricting the freedom of those who desperately need access to hospital care, life-saving organ replacement and other surgeries.
Trump=Big Brother? What planet do you live on?

https://www.wsj.com/video/series/opi...2-72823D154A82
Old 14-02-2022, 20:39   #135

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by seandepagnier View Post
Those graphs do not show that I am wrong. I think you misinterpreted my statement which is fair because it was poorly worded.

I am claiming only that the virus will spread throughout the population regardless of if people are vaccinated or not. Everyone will be exposed if the vaccination rate is 0%, 100%, or anywhere in between.

Well yes, maybe exposed, but not converting to positive PCR and/or clinical illness at anywhere near the same rate as the un-vax'd.