Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2020, 20:08   #1981

Re: U.S. to close..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Polio has also made a comeback, thanks to the vaccine.
Vaccine derived polio because some nitwits decided to bring back the oral polio vaccines.
Let me suppose a phrase "grossly exaggerated so far out of proportion to be considered ludicrous by average people."

So currently there are ~20 million people alive today with polio. Used to infect hundreds of thousands of new people per year.

So, in the last 10 years...in total...how many people have gotten polio from the vaccination, or, from someone who was vaccinated but spread live virus to someone else?

While we're at it, what % reduction in polio would you say is required to make the polio vaccine effective in your book? And what # of people would you consider realistically acceptable to become infected with an eradication plan?
Old 20-12-2020, 20:42   #1982
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Let me suppose a phrase "grossly exaggerated so far out of proportion to be considered ludicrous by average people."

So currently there are ~20 million people alive today with polio. Used to infect hundreds of thousands of new people per year.

So, in the last 10 years...in total...how many people have gotten polio from the vaccination, or, from someone who was vaccinated but spread live virus to someone else?

While we're at it, what % reduction in polio would you say is required to make the polio vaccine effective in your book? And what # of people would you consider realistically acceptable to become infected with an eradication plan?
"Twenty-three countries, most of them in Africa, are now battling vaccine-derived outbreaks, and the vaccine virus is paralyzing more children than the wild type. The problem is rapidly getting worse, in part because children born after the switch no longer have gut immunity—which is key in polio—to type 2. So far this year, more than 600 vaccine-derived cases have been recorded, five times as many as by this point in 2019."
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...get-back-track
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019...radicated-2019
Old 20-12-2020, 20:51   #1983

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

My parents had me vaccinated for polio as soon as it was available, and I'm glad they did. I also have a flu shot every year, and have avoided respiratory diseases for 10 years as a result.

I will take the Covid vaccine as soon as I can.
I think the anti vax and anti mask types are working hard to improve the gene pool and eliminate overpopulation.
Old 20-12-2020, 21:41   #1984

Quote:
Polio has also made a comeback, thanks to the vaccine.
Vaccine derived polio because some nitwits decided to bring back the oral polio vaccines.
Quote:
"Twenty-three countries, most of them in Africa, are now battling vaccine-derived outbreaks, and the vaccine virus is paralyzing more children than the wild type. The problem is rapidly getting worse, in part because children born after the switch no longer have gut immunity—which is key in polio—to type 2. So far this year, more than 600 vaccine-derived cases have been recorded, five times as many as by this point in 2019."
I you actually read the articles and called the people running the program nitwits, I suggest finding someone in person who can help you read them again.
Old 21-12-2020, 00:43   #1985
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:

Polio Now – GPEI

Shows in wild Vaccine derived and and Non Vaccine Wild Cases
Old 21-12-2020, 01:59   #1986
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
You don't seem to understand that doctor's don't need permission from the FDA to give whatever treatment they want to give? Insurance might balk, but ivermectin isn't expensive, so it wouldn't prevent someone from getting it if the doctor will prescribe it. I'm not anti-ivermectin. It is perhaps pointless to keep harping on it in the same forum, maybe better suited for outside a hospital or clinic (if they're not using it already).
From the USFDA/Health Canada perspective, once the FDA approves a drug, healthcare providers generally may prescribe the drug for an unapproved use, when they judge that it is medically appropriate, for their patient.
You may be asking yourself why your healthcare provider would want to prescribe a drug, to treat a disease or medical condition that the drug is not approved for. One reason is that there might not be an approved drug, to treat your disease or medical condition. Another is that you may have tried all approved treatments without seeing any benefits. In situations like these, you and your healthcare provider may talk about using an approved drug for an unapproved use, to treat your disease or medical condition.
Off-label use may or may not be supported by strong scientific evidence.
A manufacturer cannot promote any off-label uses of their products, as The FDA/Health Canada has only verified and authorized the drug, for the indication applied for. It may not be economically feasible, for a manufacturer to seek additional approvals.

Old 21-12-2020, 02:22   #1987

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Surprised you think that matters since <1% of the children infected with polio suffer paralysis - isn't that a statistic like the death rate of covid that is bantered around here?
Old 21-12-2020, 04:20   #1988
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Surprised you think that matters since <1% of the children infected with polio suffer paralysis - isn't that a statistic like the death rate of covid that is bantered around here?
Polio (poliomyelitis) mainly affects children under 5 years of age.
1 in 200 infections leads to irreversible paralysis. Among those paralysed, 5% to 10% die when their breathing muscles become immobilized.
WHOhttps://www.who.int/news-room/fact-s.../poliomyelitis

Most people who get infected with poliovirus (about 72 out of 100) will not have any visible symptoms.
About 1 out of 4 people with poliovirus infection will have flu-like symptoms that may include:
Sore throat
Fever
Tiredness
Nausea
Headache
Stomach pain
These symptoms usually last 2 to 5 days, then go away on their own.
A smaller proportion of people with poliovirus infection will develop other, more serious symptoms that affect the brain and spinal cord:
Paresthesia (feeling of pins and needles in the legs)
Meningitis (infection of the covering of the spinal cord and/or brain) occurs in about 1 out of 25 people with poliovirus infection
Paralysis (can’t move parts of the body) or weakness in the arms, legs, or both, occurs in about 1 out of 200 people with poliovirus infection
Paralysis is the most severe symptom associated with polio, because it can lead to permanent disability and death. Between 2 and 10 out of 100 people who have paralysis from poliovirus infection die, because the virus affects the muscles that help them breathe.
Even children who seem to fully recover can develop new muscle pain, weakness, or paralysis as adults, 15 to 40 years later. This is called post-polio syndrome.
Note that “poliomyelitis” (or “polio” for short) is defined as the paralytic disease. So only people with the paralytic infection are considered to have the disease.
CDC https://www.cdc.gov/polio/what-is-polio/index.htm

Old 21-12-2020, 12:54   #1989

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
My parents had me vaccinated for polio as soon as it was available, and I'm glad they did. I also have a flu shot every year, and have avoided respiratory diseases for 10 years as a result.

I will take the Covid vaccine as soon as I can.
I think the anti vax and anti mask types are working hard to improve the gene pool and eliminate overpopulation.

+1
Old 25-12-2020, 14:09   #1990

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

This thread has been closed.

If someone wants to, they can start a new thread relative to intra-state travel by sailboat or power vessel, and whatever restrictions apply in which locations.

JPA Cate, for the mod team.