Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2020, 22:50   #226
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: U.S. to close..

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
It Hilarious because it just shows what a joke and manipulation the whole thing is - When no whiff of power is around then as you stated he made a great case for the Barrington Declaration, yet as soon as he's in a position of power he does a total 180 on his earlier views and plays the game - more than likely the puppet master told him to flip - Better to laugh than cry about it.
It seems the good Dr O changed his mind way back in August when he co-wrote with Neel Kashkari (Minneapolis Federal Reserve President), which argued for more restrictive lockdowns across the nation in a New York Times op-ed.

Sorry I can't find the article ATM but as it isn't likely to cause you to think differently, I won't keep looking
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-11-2020, 22:55   #227
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's it. Please God let it be so . . .
What are we going to argue over discuss if CV19 fades away - is it back to anchors and guns etc?????

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 12-11-2020, 22:57   #228

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
You really don't know what you're talking about, yet seem some combination of unaware or unashamed to continue making proclamations about science and such.

The healthcare setting are ordinarily assumed to be critically high risk environments, such that, specifically in that environment, N95s are minimally acceptable.

A community setting simply does not have the same concentration of contagion present. Accordingly, lower levels of protection, all else equal, is reasonable. Regardless, historical experience/common sense, and contemporary anecdotal evidence, finds cloth masks to convey "marginal benefit that counts" if this makes things easier for you to understand.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e2.htm
Absence of Apparent Transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from Two Stylists After Exposure at a Hair Salon with a Universal Face Covering Policy — Springfield, Missouri, May 2020
Weekly
/ July 17, 2020 / 69(28);930-932

...A total of 139 clients were directly serviced by stylists A and B from the time they developed symptoms until they took leave from work...During all interactions with clients at salon A, stylist A wore a double-layered cotton face covering, and stylist B wore a double-layered cotton face covering or a surgical mask...After public health contact tracings and 2 weeks of follow-up, no COVID-19 symptoms were identified among the 139 exposed clients or their secondary contacts...Among the 104 interviewed clients, 102 (98.1%) reported wearing face coverings for their entire appointment...Six close contacts of stylists A and B outside of salon A were identified: four of stylist A and two of stylist B. All four of stylist A’s contacts later developed symptoms and had positive PCR test results for SARS-CoV-2. These contacts were stylist A’s cohabitating husband and her daughter, son-in-law, and their roommate, all of whom lived together in another household. None of stylist B’s contacts became symptomatic...
...in countries that did not recommend face masks and respirators, the per-capita coronavirus-related mortality increased each week by 54.3% after the index case, compared with 8.0% in those countries with masking policies...
------------------------------------------
But none of this is what you said, hinted to, or suggested.

Neither of you appears to know anything about the state of the science, or indeed about how the scientific method works. You might want allocate proportionately more time to reading.

State of the science: More and more actual studies are showing, or at least hinting, that masking helps reduce trasnmission. The question is not settled, but most reasonable people who have been keeping up with the science are thinking that masking is probably a good thing. A good survey from the National Institutes of Health here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/. As of August, NIH has been saying, based on a survey of 19 different proper clinical trials, that medical masks are not effective in a clinical setting, and cloth ones even less so, but that community masking of well people is nevertheless beneficial.

Scientific method: One hairdressing salon is an ANECDOTE. Scientifically meaningless noise.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 12-11-2020, 23:02   #229

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
What are we going to argue over discuss if CV19 fades away - is it back to anchors and guns etc?????

What a joy that would be. "First world problems", as they say

I am so tired of this horrible pandemic. It seems like one long nightmare. I have know two, and probably four people who have died so far, and I know one person who attempted suicide because his business was bankrupted by lockdown. I know countless other people who are unemployed or on the verge of bankruptcy, countless still others who have had their family and romantic lives shredded, and it just goes on and on. Honestly -- please just let it be over.

Light at the end of the tunnel:

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2...n-the-pandemic

https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...ine-is-immense
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 12-11-2020, 23:14   #230

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

OK. If when just hold hands, wearing masks of course, in a circle and sing KUMBAYA it will go away.
Old 12-11-2020, 23:18   #231

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
OK. If when just hold hands, wearing masks of course, in a circle and sing KUMBAYA it will go away.
Hand-holding is definitely a bad idea. As is singing -- singing is a major vector of transmission. As is gathering in groups in circles. So you might not want to do that, KMac.

But wearing masks -- while this will not stop the pandemic, there is good reason to believe, even if it's not totally proven by science yet, that wearing masks will take a good bite out of the R0 number.

I sure as hell wear mine. Although I am almost certainly immune (positive antibody test a few weeks ago, although I was sick 11 months ago), and therefore can neither infect nor get infected by anyone. I do it as an example to others, and to make others feel comfortable.
Walt Whitman
Old 12-11-2020, 23:19   #232

Quote:
You really don't know what you're talking about, yet seem some combination of unaware or unashamed to continue making proclamations about science and such.
No, I'm just not simplistically grabbing at straws. In Maryland you can't go anywhere without a mask and Covid is far worse now than it's ever been. You do the math. I know a politician told you masks would solve it but he's VERY confused.
Old 12-11-2020, 23:23   #233

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
No, I'm just not simplistically grabbing at straws. In Maryland you can't go anywhere without a mask and Covid is far worse now than it's ever been. You do the math. I know a politician told you masks would solve it but he's VERY confused.

Quote:

Pot, meet kettle.
Walt Whitman
Old 12-11-2020, 23:31   #234

Covid may be the salvation of mankind if it gets several orders of magnitude worse. Global warming experts claim the earth can only support 1.5 to 2 billion people and there are 7.5 billion. I know, it's not lethal enough yet to get the job done but who knows, a few mutations here and there and it might be.
Old 12-11-2020, 23:46   #235

Quote:
Pot, meet kettle.
Quote:

I sure as hell wear mine. Although I am almost certainly immune (positive antibody test a few weeks ago, although I was sick 11 months ago), and therefore can neither infect nor get infected by anyone. I do it as an example to others, and to make others feel comfortable.

How did you get Covid wearing a mask?

Po, meet kettle.
Old 13-11-2020, 00:21   #236

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:

But wearing masks -- while this will not stop the pandemic, there is good reason to believe, even if it's not totally proven by science yet, that wearing masks will take a good bite out of the R0 number.

Said it once (or twice) and i'll say it again
Much of South East Asia.
Been wearing masks for ever, second nature

Vietnam again as an example,
Borders China
100 million population
1200 cases - 35 deaths

Do masks work??????
Old 13-11-2020, 00:38   #237

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How did you get Covid wearing a mask?

As I said, a mask is not any guaranty against getting it, and might not even do all that much good.

However, in any case, I did not have a mask with me on that flight full of Chinese people from Saigon to Singapore, which had just come from Wuhan, in early January, nor did any of the dozens of coughing Chinese people in the plane with me.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-11-2020, 00:41   #238

Wuhan back in October. The whole country had a normal national day golden week holiday with packed trains and flights.

What China did seemed to have worked.
Old 13-11-2020, 00:43   #239

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post

Wuhan back in October. The whole country had a normal national day golden week holiday with packed trains and flights.

What China did seemed to have worked.

I for one am happy for them. Hope that's what we will be looking like in half a year or so.
Walt Whitman
Old 13-11-2020, 01:56   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Don’t get why some imply we haven’t been working together. Despite the hyperbole about it being a “s..it show”, we have effectively united.

As to what marinas may be forced to do henceforth, it would be a frivolous transparent gesture to close them given its winter and many are alrjeady effectively abandoned. All that’s left to see is how eager some are to appear to be engaged regardless of any substantive action.
We most definitely have not been working together, one side has successfully politicized the only measures we have to defeat this virus. The results speak for themselves as we are at an all-time infection rate