Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2020, 07:03   #931

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: U.S. too close..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well, some ARE thinking along those lines... and you can't deny the contributions being made voluntarily by Bill Gates and others.
CF doesn’t have the emoji of the guy rolling on the floor laughing.
Old 24-11-2020, 07:03   #932
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

This article includes an interesting take on the public surprise & reaction to the President's refusal to concede, and his insistence on frivolous election fraud investigations & lawsuits.

“Why it is wrong to draw parallels between Trump and Mugabe” ~ by Caleb Okereke
Such comparisons may appear harmless on the surface, but they have problematic real world consequences.

“... This is problematic for multiple reasons. First of all, it is an argument built on the false assumption that American democracy is not vulnerable to authoritarian interventions and power grabs like “lesser” democracies elsewhere in the world, and especially in Africa. It is an argument born out of America’s belief in its own moral superiority and its political class’s inherent racial biases ...”
The author concludes:
“... There is no perfect democracy either in Africa or the West. But if American media, politicians and pundits continue to act as if authoritarianism, tyranny and disrespect for democracy are concepts that are exclusive to Africa, or “banana republics” elsewhere in the world, they can never truly resolve the democratic crisis their country is currently experiencing.”

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2...mp-and-mugabe/

Old 24-11-2020, 07:12   #933

Quote:
Yes, there is. Even in this day and age, a paper backup is still advisable.

A pure electronic voting system is currently WAY more opaque and prone to fraud. It could be better, but the path to acceptance is too onerous (and partisan. You think the GOP would embrace a free downloadable voting app? Ha ha)
Lake Effect.

Read what you wrote above very carefully.

Unless I’ve been completely misreading you, you are now saying that the GOP will not support a voting system that is prone to fraud, and (because “partisan,”) the D’s do support it.

That’s a flip flop from your earlier position on voting fraud.

Are you seeing the light?
Old 24-11-2020, 07:57   #934

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
As far as electronic voting being partisan...that's just an attempt to be contrary. Politics is by definition partisan. Always has been and that applies to just about every issue that comes before the govt.
You set up an independent voting administration to manage and insulate the election process against partisan meddling. Maybe the FEC could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
Unless I’ve been completely misreading you, you are now saying that the GOP will not support a voting system that is prone to fraud, and (because “partisan,”) the D’s do support it.

That’s a flip flop from your earlier position on voting fraud.

Are you seeing the light?
You're misreading me but only a little. Which party seems to not want voting to be easy and convenient?

I do think that electronic voting systems CAN be made to be trustworthy, but I don't know if that's possible or would be trusted yet in the US. Plus with every state doing something different...
Old 24-11-2020, 08:12   #935
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
... Unless I’ve been completely misreading you, you are now saying that the GOP will not support a voting system that is prone to fraud, and (because “partisan,”) the D’s do support it...
I think you do misunderstand LE.
I believe he's saying the GOP oppose an "easier" voting systems, which would increase"turnout" to their disadvantage.
More voters = less Republicans.

Edit, in light of:
Quote:
... You're misreading me but only a little. Which party seems to not want voting to be easy and convenient?...
Answer: GOP
The President, and other Republicans, have repeatedly clearly linked high turnout to Republicans losing elections.

Old 24-11-2020, 08:30   #936

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjb View Post
Uncle joe will save us and the world?
Ofcourse! It’ll be sunshine and unicorns now that he won the bid for senate, uh I mean for that thing, you know. C’mon man!

Lol

It will be interesting to see how whom ever is calling the shots decides to do things, because even the far left know it ain’t Joe

Looking at both of their histories, I suspect the prison, military and insurance industries, as well as China, will be happy.

Hopefully with a vaccine for the scared people, government will stop using the virus as a excuse for every violation of our rights. Just like how after we killed bin laden we got rid of all those draconian crazy “terrorism” laws....
Old 24-11-2020, 08:37   #937

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Ofcourse! It’ll be sunshine and unicorns now that [Uncle Joe] won the bid for senate, uh I mean for that thing, you know.

I think that many, both inside and outside of the US, are simply relieved with the outcome of !Trump (logical notation for not-Trump). No sunshine, unicorns, or much of anything else required. Speaks volumes, don't it...
Old 24-11-2020, 09:34   #938
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

It will all be fine,business as usual now the adults will be running the show,although some prophets might be re-reading that bit in the bible about humility..............

Old 24-11-2020, 09:53   #939

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

Only the Gov, they will get paid, the people who or did own businesses, they will end up on the street, like san fan, like uncle joe said, it will be an dark winter, sit back and watch the. Misery that is coming.
Old 24-11-2020, 10:00   #940

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Atoll,

Sad to think people actually listen and believe that dribble.
Old 24-11-2020, 10:32   #941

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I think you do misunderstand LE.
I believe he's saying the GOP oppose an "easier" voting systems, which would increase"turnout" to their disadvantage.
More voters = less Republicans.

Edit, in light of:

Answer: GOP
The President, and other Republicans, have repeatedly clearly linked high turnout to Republicans losing elections.
It isn’t as simple as you’re saying. LE said R’s wouldn’t support a system prone to misuse, ie electronic voting.

You’re both being disingenuous if you and LE’s position is that people who oppose electronic voting are trying to make voting difficult.
Old 24-11-2020, 10:35   #942

Boat: Irwin. 28 ft
Send a message via AIM to pdjb

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Atoll,

Sad to think people actually listen and believe that dribble.
We the people don't count anymore.?
Old 24-11-2020, 10:54   #943

Quote:
It isn’t as simple as you’re saying. LE said R’s wouldn’t support a system prone to misuse, ie electronic voting.

You’re both being disingenuous if you and LE’s position is that people who oppose electronic voting are trying to make voting difficult.
Of course, that's not what I said. I expect you actually know this, but maybe I was mistaken to assume that you were doing more than just trolling. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 24-11-2020, 10:57   #944
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect
... A pure electronic voting system is currently WAY more opaque and prone to fraud. It could be better, but the path to acceptance is too onerous (and partisan. You think the GOP would embrace a free downloadable voting app? Ha ha)
Quote:
...You're misreading me but only a little. Which party seems to not want voting to be easy and convenient?
I do think that electronic voting systems CAN be made to be trustworthy, but I don't know if that's possible or would be trusted yet in the US. Plus with every state doing something different...
I suppose, we see want we want to, or are capable of see(ing).
For instance, I'm as biased as the next person, but I'm also literate.

Old 24-11-2020, 11:15   #945

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I suppose, we see want we want to, or are capable of see(ing).
For instance, I'm as biased as the next person, but I'm also literate.
I think you are possibly literate but partisan and disingenuous.

Can you see in LE’s statement that the partisan issue he is having is between a system that is prone to fraud and one that is not.

Have you posted this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=-s9PkuiIw2Q