Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 23:46   #1171

Re: U.S. to close..

Mexican enjoy the same NAFTA work visas as Canadians. It's super easy for Mexicans to get legal employment in the US as long as they are in the following industries. Lot easier than what Australians need to go through.

Accountant
Architect
Computer Systems Analyst
Economist
Engineer
Forester
Graphic Designer
Hotel Manager
Industrial Designer
Interior Designer
Land Surveyor
Landscape Architect
Lawyer
Librarian
Management Consultant
Mathematician
Range Manager
Research Assistant
Scientific Technician
Social Worker
Technical Publications Writer
Urban Planner
Vocational Counselor
Dentist
Dietitian
Medical Laboratory Technologist
Nutritionist
Occupational Therapist
Pharmacist
Physician
Physiotherapist
Psychologist
Recreational Therapist
Registered Nurse
Veterinarian
Agriculturist
Animal Breeder/Scientist
Agriculturist
Astronomer
Biochemist
Biologist
Chemist
Dairy Scientist
Entomologist
Epidemiologist
Geneticist
Geochemist
Geologist
Geophysicist
Horticulturist
Meteorologist
Pharmacologist
Physicist
Plant Breeder
Poultry Scientist
Soil Scientist
Zoologist
College Professor
Seminary Professor
University Professor
Old 27-11-2020, 23:46   #1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
The truth is that most of the Mexicans coming illegally work for awhile, then go back. The really desperate ones are from the Central America countries fleeing from problems that the US helped to create. It is hard to find many American workers who are even capable or willing to work 10-12 hour days in the conditions that these guys happily work in. Nowadays it is harder to sneak in so they end up staying longer. Compared to them our manual labor force are a bunch of whining crybabies. The notion of lazy Mexicans is just not true. Guatemalans pay around $8000. to coyotes to get them to a US city where they usually already have jobs lined up. They are going to come anyway, the US should just charge admission to be able to come and work. If living in the US is so great, then why do most of these people voluntarily go back? If living in Mexico is bad, why are there around 1,000,000 US expatriates living there?
Many stay, the ones who go back often have family that can’t sneak over, too old, too young, etc

Expats go down there because it’s cheap, kinda like Thailand, if you’re retired and don’t have enough money to live nicely in the US, Mexico or Thailand is a good option. Like I said, if I mismanaged my retirement, not that I have the mentality to do retirement, Thailand or Mexico would be a good fall back.

And Americans can’t put in a 10hr day? [laughs in fire fighter, ems, military, steel worker, farmer, etc]

I’d wager most of the people who like to whine about how America is so horrible are the ones who can’t put in a work day doing real work, it’s often the kid who like to bash America who never had a callus or owns a proper set of worn in work boots.
Old 28-11-2020, 00:06   #1173

Anyone thinking of retirement should look at this. Thailand is not that cheap. Malaysia is the place to be in Asia and most speak English. Eastern/Central Europe is also really affordable at least for now, although my polish friends tell me they don't like Asians.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...s_rankings.jsp
Old 28-11-2020, 00:48   #1174
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Anyone thinking of retirement should look at this. Thailand is not that cheap. Malaysia is the place to be in Asia and most speak English. Eastern/Central Europe is also really affordable at least for now, although my polish friends tell me they don't like Asians.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...s_rankings.jsp

I have lived in both Thailand and Malaysia (albeit 20 years ago) and found them both pretty similar - Rent, Medical treatment and food - Things have obviously changed.

What I did notice was that Thailand had more of a Western influence or possibly just more expats and if you dined out in such places the cost was around 10 times that of a local Thai place and the Western Supermarkets (Tescos) were equal to what you would pay in the UK. If you live like the locals it was incredibly cheap at the time.
Old 28-11-2020, 01:23   #1175
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post

And Americans can’t put in a 10hr day? [laughs in fire fighter, ems, military, steel worker, farmer, etc]

I’d wager most of the people who like to whine about how America is so horrible are the ones who can’t put in a work day doing real work, it’s often the kid who like to bash America who never had a callus or owns a proper set of worn in work boots.
Not so much, not in the hot sun, not these days. There are lots of Americans that can and do work very hard for low wages but we are mostly becoming weak and lazy and won't do it. Not for farmer's wages.

I am a carpenter and can work you under the table (in case you are referring to me). I was raised on a tobacco farm so I guess I know what hard work is about.

I was looking at some of your other posts. You seemed to say that the Russians were not our the allies in WWII. They did most of the dirty work in the fight against the Germans, Italians, and Japanese. We tried to take the credit because we dropped the bomb(s). At that point the war was pretty much already over. (Just to set the record straight) We have been installing dictators in third world countries and waging war ever since. We are the problem.

Like you, I get a lot of disagreement with my views on this forum. I do agree with you on a couple of points (gotta keep an eye on our rights and minimize government powers). But everyone is in a trance. That battle is almost lost. Might as well go hide out in a cave (in Mexico).
Old 28-11-2020, 02:17   #1176

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
I wouldn’t even take my dog to a vet there.
All that displays is your prejudice and fear, hatred and lack of knowledge

If that hospital rates better than the US then guess what.........it rate's better than the US
Old 28-11-2020, 02:39   #1177

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I have lived in both Thailand and Malaysia (albeit 20 years ago) and found them both pretty similar - Rent, Medical treatment and food - Things have obviously changed.

What I did notice was that Thailand had more of a Western influence or possibly just more expats and if you dined out in such places the cost was around 10 times that of a local Thai place and the Western Supermarkets (Tescos) were equal to what you would pay in the UK. If you live like the locals it was incredibly cheap at the time.
Actual working expats or tourists?

We always rented apartments, preferably pool vilas in upper middle class Thai, Malay, Viet areas.
Get all the niceties that you want for a fraction of the cost
Would go weeks without seeing a white face yet they were only a short scooter ride away if you felt the need..........which we very rarely did.
Did not go all that way to hang out with westerners in Irish, Aussie, Sports bars or have Italian, Starbucks and McDonald's
Old 28-11-2020, 03:12   #1178

Quote:
Mexican enjoy the same NAFTA work visas as Canadians. It's super easy for Mexicans to get legal employment in the US as long as they are in the following industries. Lot easier than what Australians need to go through.

[snip]

Yeah well, I think that list is pretty arbitrary and (with all due respect) I don't think you know what you are talking about. And I speak from experience. My stepfather is here in the U.S. illegally. (I was going to write "technically", but a fact is a fact.) Anyway, he's a good man. He has contributed a lot to his community, and to this country ... and to my family. But legally extending his stay here before he married my mother wasn't an easy option ... or a cheap one. And now that they're married ... it still isn't.

The U.S. needs immigration reform. The only problem is: how? With a population coming from a country with what appears to be a corrupt government, into a country with what appears to be a corrupt government ...

You tell me.
Old 28-11-2020, 03:40   #1179

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
Yeah well, I think that list is pretty arbitrary and (with all due respect) I don't think you know what you are talking about. And I speak from experience. My stepfather is here in the U.S. illegally. (I was going to write "technically", but a fact is a fact.) Anyway, he's a good man. He has contributed a lot to his community, and to this country ... and to my family. But legally extending his stay here before he married my mother wasn't an easy option ... or a cheap one. And now that they're married ... it still isn't.

The U.S. needs immigration reform. The only problem is: how? With a population coming from a country with what appears to be a corrupt government, into a country with what appears to be a corrupt government ...

You tell me.
[With all due respect, I Don't know what are are referring to when you say I don't know what im talking about]

I had several Mexican colleagues who were on the TN visa while I was working in SF. Some were straight out of school. As long as you can land a job the visa is not a problem. With TN visa the company doesn't need to sponsor you and there is no Quota.

For my E3 visa (im Australian) the company had to file an application with the government then prove they looked locally for a qualified candidate before my visa can be approved. Granted these things are largely paper shuffling and it's rare anyone is not approved.

That was my personal first hand experience.

PS. Of course getting a job is another things. But employing someone on a TN visa is not hard.
Old 28-11-2020, 04:42   #1180

Quote:
[With all due respect, I Don't know what are are referring to when you say I don't know what im talking about]
Quote:
It's super easy for Mexicans to get legal employment in the US as long as they are in the following industries.

This is what I was referring to. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I thought your comment overlooked those immigrants who were not part of any business training program - but were instead unskilled workers who came to the U.S. to find good jobs ... and did so.
Old 28-11-2020, 04:51   #1181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
This is what I was referring to. Perhaps I was mistaken, but I thought your comment overlooked those immigrants who were not part of any business training program - but were instead unskilled workers who came to the U.S. to find good jobs ... and did so.
No, I did not include them. Was just saying it is not too hard for someone with some skills in the industries listed, which I have to say is quite extensive to get a job legally in the US.

In comparison I had colleagues from India and China who went to MIT and Harvard not get the H1b visa because it's a lottery with just 80k or so places for the whole world. So in comparison it is a lot easier for mexicans/canadians.

Australians get 3000 E3 visas all to ourselves. Although apparently only 1000 or so apply every year. You need to get a job first, which is the hard part.

PS. Ok, ok I get it. thread drift, but we're all learning something about working in the US on a visa at least.
Old 28-11-2020, 04:59   #1182

Apologies, I need to shut up again.

I should remember that sometimes the worst time to post is when it hits close to home.

Cheers.
Old 28-11-2020, 06:50   #1183

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
snip...
You seemed to say that the Russians were not our the allies in WWII. They did most of the dirty work in the fight against the Germans, Italians, and Japanese. We tried to take the credit because we dropped the bomb(s). At that point the war was pretty much already over. (Just to set the record straight) We have been installing dictators in third world countries and waging war ever since. We are the problem.
...snip
To set records straight

The Russians didn't fight Italians except the some 10 divisions (totally ~220 000 men) send to Eastern front, until -43 when most of the troops were drawn back to Italy (after heavy losses totalling ~80 000 KIA or PW's who died in Russian camps).
Russians declared war on Japan August -45, not much of dirty work but to gain "spoils of war" before it's over. Manchuria, Sahalin and other islands..
Old 28-11-2020, 07:24   #1184

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
. . .I was looking at some of your other posts. You seemed to say that the Russians were not our the allies in WWII. They did most of the dirty work in the fight against the Germans, Italians, and Japanese. We tried to take the credit because we dropped the bomb(s). At that point the war was pretty much already over. (Just to set the record straight) We have been installing dictators in third world countries and waging war ever since. We are the problem.. .
Wow, a man who actually knows some history beyond the propaganda we got in grade school. I'm impressed.

Just one small correction -- the Soviets didn't actually do any dirty work at all against the Japanese. They only declared war on Japan on 8 August 1945, two days after the Hiroshima bombing, and the only purpose was to give them an excuse to grab the Kurill Islands. So it actually was us who did the "dirty work" there, with help from Australians, Brits, Phillipinos, and of course -- the Chinese, who suffered the most.

But in Europe, you're absolutely right. More than 90% of German casualties were incurred on the Eastern Front. D-Day, which some Americans believe to be the pivotal event of the war, actually occurred on June 6, 1944, just 11 months before the end of the war, and at least a year and a half after the real turning point of the war (Stalingrad was pretty much over in January 1943). So by the time of D-Day, the Wehrmacht had already been thrown out of Russia and were in full retreat, and a few weeks later Army Group Center was wiped off the face of the earth by the Soviet Army in Operation Bagration. When we did D-Day, there was already no doubt whatsoever about the outcome of the war; we were just ensuring that we got our share of the spoils (a noble purpose, actually -- as a result we kept half of Germany free, and maybe the rest of Western Europe). Also, although our forces on the ground had very little influence on the outcome of the war, Lend-Lease on the contrary did have a big impact, plus the bombing campaign (which killed 100's of thousands of German civilians) kept huge resources tied up (more than 20% of all German artillery tubes and a big part of their fighter force) which made it somewhat easier for the Soviets to maintain their superiority in artillery over the Wehrmacht.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 28-11-2020, 08:28   #1185

whatathread, whatathread. I'm canceling History Channel from our cable package.