Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2020, 13:10   #1216

Re: U.S. to close..

Bill of rights sure keep a lot of lawyers rich. Not surprising since 32 of the 55 people that wrote the constitution were lawyers.
Old 28-11-2020, 13:14   #1217
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
....Narky....
Expanding my vocabulary
Old 28-11-2020, 13:17   #1218

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Bill of rights sure keep a lot of lawyers rich. Not surprising since 32 of the 55 people that wrote the constitution were lawyers.

That's a bit like saying 32 out of 55 building designs are made by architects. Who else but lawyers do you want writing constitutions? Constitutions are legal documents.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 28-11-2020, 13:23   #1219

U.S. to close..

Just fanning the US is run by lawyers rhetoric. Since we’re all just fanning here.
Old 28-11-2020, 13:31   #1220
cruiser

Quote:
No I didn't provide the answer, but I did provide the link which includes the methodology used to determine ranking.
Centro Medico ABC in D.F. (Mexico City). I must be a bogan, didn't see the link mate.
Old 28-11-2020, 13:32   #1221
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
Just fanning the US is run by lawyers rhetoric. Since we’re all just fanning here.
Put another log on the fire.
Old 28-11-2020, 13:46   #1222

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post

What’s your opinion on the USs bill of rights?
Quote:
Not a bad star ship - Excelsior class

https://memory-beta.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Bill_of_Rights
Old 28-11-2020, 15:13   #1223

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

So is Massachusetts...and its cold there!

Years ago I was crewing in a big regatta in Marblehead. Each night's festivities were sponsored by a different yacht club. I asked a friend of mine if he was a member at any of them. His response was "they dont accept my kind" ... he was Jewish.
Old 28-11-2020, 15:36   #1224

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
So is Massachusetts...and its cold there!

Years ago I was crewing in a big regatta in Marblehead. Each night's festivities were sponsored by a different yacht club. I asked a friend of mine if he was a member at any of them. His response was "they dont accept my kind" ... he was Jewish.
I think that’s anti Semitic.

But the joke is that everything today is racist and you can find evidence on the internet.
Old 28-11-2020, 15:45   #1225

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Stop letting truth get in the way of others delusion.
As Gord likes to say "indeed"

Even if you are insured, most affordable policies through employers are anywhere from $3k-$10k deductions. So $3k-$10k + 20% of coverage = $$$ a lot. So our current system not only jeopardizes the poor and uninsured, it jeopardizes the middle class and upper middle class as well. And I'll mention that due to current policy it encourages people to be employed through large buisness and corporations as opposed to becoming entrepreneurs. Gaining health insurance as a small business or single entity entrepreneur is twice as expensive. While statistics I've seen is that small buisness growth is essential. But yeah. And for your your reading entertainment;

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/06/25/735385283/hospitals-earn-little-from-suing-for-unpaid-bills-for-patients-it-can-be-ruinous

https://khn.org/news/uva-health-system-sues-patients-virginia-courts-garnishment-liens-bankruptcy/

https://fredericksburg.com/news/local/mwh-suspends-policy-of-suing-patients-following-ama-study/article_526d34d5-e374-545f-8568-0c66ba0734e5.html

https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/08/hospitals-sue-unpaid-bills-can-ruinous-patients/
Old 28-11-2020, 16:40   #1226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
As Gord likes to say "indeed"

Even if you are insured, most affordable policies through employers are anywhere from $3k-$10k deductions. So $3k-$10k + 20% of coverage = $$$ a lot. So our current system not only jeopardizes the poor and uninsured, it jeopardizes the middle class and upper middle class as well. And I'll mention that due to current policy it encourages people to be employed through large buisness and corporations as opposed to becoming entrepreneurs. Gaining health insurance as a small business or single entity entrepreneur is twice as expensive. While statistics I've seen is that small buisness growth is essential. But yeah. And for your your reading entertainment;

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...can-be-ruinous

https://khn.org/news/uva-health-syst...ns-bankruptcy/

https://fredericksburg.com/news/loca...6ba0734e5.html

https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/08...nous-patients/
I dare say we are all just products of our experiences.

My experiences are that both my wife and I have both had "free" healthcare, her in canadia and me in australia.
We live in the US and would never, ever choose either of the free systems over what we have now.
That being said, we are not the type of folks that feel we deserve anything from anybody....health care incuded. I dont mind paying for health care, doubled in price thanks to obumma.....and still I would prefer paying than free.
When working in canadia my wife used to pay 60 cents on the dollar taxes....but yeah....the health care was free.....yay.

I dont believe many folks who have experienced both systems over a long period would choose the "free" systems.....unless they are the type of folks who feel they deserve to be given to whilst sitting about watching others do the work.

I am sure that there are many that disagree, but i really dont care. I have worked, paid taxes, run business, owned land and vehicles in multiple countries.
Retired at 40 because of the opportunities here, keep busy for the fun of it now.
My experience is that there aint no place on the planet with the opportunity and quality health care and freedoms that are here in the US.

Be sad to see it end and there's no where left to go.

But thats just the way of things, humanity at work. Yay.

Oh, and I dont even mind funding safety nets for the helpless.....its funding the hopeless that leaves me less than enthused.

Indeed
Old 28-11-2020, 17:56   #1227

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: U.S. too close..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Indeed, just like many other diseases. Unlike most diseases, Covid-19 is highly contagious, even from completely healthy individuals. This is why public health measures aimed at starving the disease, or at least lowing its spread rate, is really the only tool we have at our current disposal.

I'm not sure who you're talking about. I don't think anyone on this thread has said such things, but maybe I missed the quote. What has been said -- based on actual research and science, not just conjecture -- is that we can control the disease by lowering the transmission rate. Physical distancing, limited cohorts, good hygiene practices, and mask wearing (when physical distancing is not viable) are simple ways to lower the rate of transmission.

As for masks, these too have now been well studied. Wearing a t-shirt over your face does little to block transmission, but wearing a high thread count cotton weave mask certainly does. These masks are readily available now, and can easily be made at home. And they have been shown to be highly effective.

That's a fine theory. I've not seen any experiment that tests this hypothesis. Too many variables I suspect. But it demonstrates why the mask wearing is lower down the priority list of useful practices: physical distancing being the number one factor.

True. If it was simple, I'd have had a good season cruising Newfoundland this past summer, instead of motorcycling across Canada.
I lean towards the "government messes up most things that it interferes with" camp. I wonder if government regulations keeping you away from your boat but allowing you to ride your motorcycle on a tour caused more or less risk to you and the surrounding population .....

I'm also one who is concerned about government "creep". Way to many of the regulations imposed by the executive branches have been obvious power grabs. Witness Michigan's governor who put detailed and foolish restrictions into effect. She then extended them beyond the legal limit and when the legislature pointed out that she was acting in an illegal manor she said the she was going to continue to ignore the law. The governor of South Dakota is my hero. She led her state in the best sense of Leadership.

Great thread! Thanks to everyone for working a civility.
Old 28-11-2020, 18:01   #1228

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

[QUOTE=

You are walking on thin ice because I am pretty sure that I have a lot of hate in my heart for racists. If you are one, you will need to find another forum and pray that you and I never cross paths.[/QUOTE]

And I just thanked everyone for being polite!! Please! no threats!
Old 28-11-2020, 18:27   #1229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
I dare say we are all just products of our experiences.

My experiences are that both my wife and I have both had "free" healthcare, her in canadia and me in australia.
We live in the US and would never, ever choose either of the free systems over what we have now.
That being said, we are not the type of folks that feel we deserve anything from anybody....health care incuded. I dont mind paying for health care, doubled in price thanks to obumma.....and still I would prefer paying than free.
When working in canadia my wife used to pay 60 cents on the dollar taxes....but yeah....the health care was free.....yay.

I dont believe many folks who have experienced both systems over a long period would choose the "free" systems.....unless they are the type of folks who feel they deserve to be given to whilst sitting about watching others do the work.

I am sure that there are many that disagree, but i really dont care. I have worked, paid taxes, run business, owned land and vehicles in multiple countries.
Retired at 40 because of the opportunities here, keep busy for the fun of it now.
My experience is that there aint no place on the planet with the opportunity and quality health care and freedoms that are here in the US.

Be sad to see it end and there's no where left to go.

But thats just the way of things, humanity at work. Yay.

Oh, and I dont even mind funding safety nets for the helpless.....its funding the hopeless that leaves me less than enthused.

Indeed

Well said
Old 28-11-2020, 18:34   #1230
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
And I just thanked everyone for being polite!! Please! no threats!
Taken out of context. The words hate and racist were being questioned. Expressing my hypothetical feelings towards someone (if they happened to be a racist)