Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 00:26   #1276

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: U.S. to close..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yihang View Post
If you get a visa and go into quarantine.

Talk about thread drift. I have a 10 year visa to China. Will a test shorten the quarantine?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 01-12-2020, 00:41   #1277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Talk about thread drift. I have a 10 year visa to China. Will a test shorten the quarantine?
https://www.china-airlines.com/nz/en...on-Information

Looks like you need to take a test anyway then go into the mandatory 14 day centralized quarantine.

This has been how China has controlled this whole thing from the beginning. Basically all transports routes have checks with mandatory contact tracing apps checked. Totally 1984 but hey it works.

I left my passport at home once and had to go through a highway check, the police basically pulled up all my records on their phone after taking a photo of me. Everything goes through facial recognition.

He actually said ' you see we see everything'.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:51   #1278

I've been flying to Asia and China a lot. I currently refuse to layover in China for a variety of reasons, but that's another story.

Our new reality, trying to stay on topic.....

IF required, testing prior to departure from the US is not a big deal....testing upon arrival could be a big deal depending on the country. We currently are subjected to an easy mid nasal swab and a 15 minute wait for the results.

I have no idea if the US will ever require a Covid test upon arrival. However, what MAY happen soon is that one will have to provide proof of VACCINATION to travel. I know some airlines are currently discussing this. I think that will be a good thing if implemented.

As many know, quarantine and isolation rules are a PIA. Proof of vaccination should eliminate all those hassles. HOWEVER, a person needs TWO shots to be considered vaccinated. So there will be that....just yesterday a famous doctor said "One shot does NOTHING"

Staying tuned.....
Old 01-12-2020, 08:09   #1279

Quote:
https://www.china-airlines.com/nz/en...on-Information

Looks like you need to take a test anyway then go into the mandatory 14 day centralized quarantine.

This has been how China has controlled this whole thing from the beginning. Basically all transports routes have checks with mandatory contact tracing apps checked. Totally 1984 but hey it works.

I left my passport at home once and had to go through a highway check, the police basically pulled up all my records on their phone after taking a photo of me. Everything goes through facial recognition.

He actually said ' you see we see everything'.

If it worked how did the virus spread from wuhan to the rest of the world?

As for the rest of that, cringe factor 100
and also why ever since I was a teen I wanted nothing to do with that place.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:49   #1280

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
If it worked how did the virus spread from wuhan to the rest of the world?

As for the rest of that, cringe factor 100
and also why ever since I was a teen I wanted nothing to do with that place.

Pretty easy. A woman I know has a best friend who is a flight attendant and while on a flight from China in February a woman with her three kids was bragging how she managed to evade authorities in Wuhan and get to another province that was not locked down and catch a flight out. When they landed in California, she saw the woman and her kids walk right through customs, no questions asked. If she managed it others probably did too. By the way the flight attendant was sick with the "flu" for two weeks after she got back, but there was no testing for covid in the US available at that time.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:48   #1281
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

The Chinese didn’t control (or even recognise) the outbreak from the very beginning.
However, they soon (by late January) took control, but it was too late, for the rest of us. The virus was loose, on the world.

Wuhan was placed under a strict lockdown that lasted 76 days. Public transport was suspended. Soon afterwards, similar measures were implemented in every city in Hubei province. Across the country, 14 000 health checkpoints were established at public transport hubs. School re-openings after the winter vacation were delayed and population movements were severely curtailed. Dozens of cities implemented family outdoor restrictions, which typically meant that only one member of each household was permitted to leave the home every couple of days to collect necessary supplies. Within weeks, China had managed to test 9 million people for SARS-CoV-2 in Wuhan. It set up an effective national system of contact tracing. By contrast, the UK's capacity for contact tracing was overwhelmed soon after the pandemic struck the country.

At least 175,000 people left Wuhan just on January 1/20. The departures from Wuhan accelerated over the next three weeks. About 7 million people left in January, before travel was restricted.
By the time Chinese officials acknowledged the risk of human-to-human transmission on Jan. 21, local outbreaks were already seeded in Beijing, Shanghai and other major cities.
On January 30, the authorities locked down Wuhan, and many cities followed in the next few weeks. Travel across China nearly stopped.

As the outbreak moved across China in early January, international travel continued as normal. Thousands of people flew out of Wuhan to cities around the world.
For instance, Over 900 people went to New York every month on average, over 2,200 to Sydney, and over 15,000 people went to Bangkok, the most popular destination. That’s where the first known overseas case appeared in mid-January, a 61-year-old woman who traveled from Wuhan to Bangkok despite having a fever, headache and a sore throat.

By January 30, WHO reported 82 cases reported, in 18 countries outside China.
Other early cases turned up in Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul and Hong Kong. The U.S. confirmed its first case near Seattle.
About 85 percent of infected travelers went undetected, researchers believe. But they were still contagious.
It was too late. Outbreaks were already growing in over 30, cities across 26 countries, most seeded by travelers from Wuhan.
US travel restrictions, from China, took effect Feb. 2, and it exempted U.S. citizens, green card holders, and certain other people. It temporarily barred entry by foreign nationals who had traveled in China within the previous 14 days, with exceptions for the immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. Americans returning from China were allowed back after screening at select ports of entry and for 14 days afterward.

Old 01-12-2020, 13:19   #1282
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The Chinese didn’t control (or even recognise) the outbreak from the very beginning ...
How China mishandled early days of COVID
Documents leaked from Hubei province, the origin of the COVID-19 outbreak, reveal a series of missteps by local and central Chinese government agencies, reports CNN. The agency in charge of disease response, the China Center for Disease Control and Prevention, was underfunded and mired in bureaucracy. Numbers of cases and deaths were lowballed when presented to the public. Tests were inaccurate, diagnosis was slow and early cases might have been counted as flu. “It was clear they did make mistakes — and not just mistakes that happen when you're dealing with a novel virus — also bureaucratic and politically-motivated errors in how they handled it,” said global-health expert Yanzhong Huang. “These had global consequences…. [But] It would probably not have stopped this developing into a pandemic.”
More from CNN https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/30/a...ntl/index.html

Old 01-12-2020, 20:36   #1283

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
How China mishandled early days of COVID
Documents leaked from Hubei province, the origin of the COVID-19 outbreak, reveal a series of missteps by local and central Chinese government agencies, reports CNN. The agency in charge of disease response, the China Center for Disease Control and Prevention, was underfunded and mired in bureaucracy. Numbers of cases and deaths were lowballed when presented to the public. Tests were inaccurate, diagnosis was slow and early cases might have been counted as flu. “It was clear they did make mistakes — and not just mistakes that happen when you're dealing with a novel virus — also bureaucratic and politically-motivated errors in how they handled it,” said global-health expert Yanzhong Huang. “These had global consequences…. [But] It would probably not have stopped this developing into a pandemic.”
More from CNN https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/30/a...ntl/index.html

Sorry folks, should have worded it better. I meant how it was controlled once the federal response was initiated. No doubt it was a cluster**** in the beginning.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:01   #1284
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Sorry folks, should have worded it better. I meant how it was controlled once the federal response was initiated. No doubt it was a cluster**** in the beginning.

I am not even that sure that Wuhan was the source of the original outbreak!

These guys have data on antibodies for Covid in Italy back to September 19, so it has been around longer than officially stated and certainly before September 19.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...OVfTLGwvhMHR_c

Also I could never understand why Australia in the early days did not get smashed (see Gords flight figures above for Sydney) as Australia has a Massive Chinese Student as well as resident population over the whole country as well as Aussies holidaying in the Same SE Asian spots as the Chinese - I was out in Japan Skiing over Christmas and January and it was full of Chinese and Aussies - My daughter was working out there and she told me that something sounding very like covid went through the resort like wildfire over a 6-8 week period not until early Feb though - pretty much everyone working and living there had it, although being a ski resort most of them were pretty young and true to Japanese style no one was tested.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:48   #1285

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I am not even that sure that Wuhan was the source of the original outbreak!

These guys have data on antibodies for Covid in Italy back to September 19, so it has been around longer than officially stated and certainly before September 19.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/...OVfTLGwvhMHR_c

Also I could never understand why Australia in the early days did not get smashed (see Gords flight figures above for Sydney) as Australia has a Massive Chinese Student as well as resident population over the whole country as well as Aussies holidaying in the Same SE Asian spots as the Chinese - I was out in Japan Skiing over Christmas and January and it was full of Chinese and Aussies - My daughter was working out there and she told me that something sounding very like covid went through the resort like wildfire over a 6-8 week period not until early Feb though - pretty much everyone working and living there had it, although being a ski resort most of them were pretty young and true to Japanese style no one was tested.
Yeh, well you can bring that up, ill be called a commie instigator if I did that. I guess we will know the truth eventually.

I'm pretty sure Australia banned flights coming in before the semester started. It's still very expensive to fly to Australia right now with the reduced flights.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:32   #1286

Right!
It obviously didn’t come from Wuhan, just a few minute walk from a state run virus lab that was working on corona viruses, same lab that had papers written about it warning that something like this might happen, the same state that wouldn’t allow independent investigators in before they cleansed the place. It’s just coincidence, now pick that can up citizen! Lol
Old 02-12-2020, 11:44   #1287

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Actually, it may not have come from Wuhan at all.

They just traced it back to December 2019 here in the USA. They found it all over the country in blood that was donated back then.

This is well before the Wuhan outbreak.

So it’s very much a mystery as to its origin.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:15   #1288

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
China has "controlled" covid-19 by no longer telling the world what's going on.

Not for second does the rest of the world believe that cases have dropped the way china is "reporting"
Old 02-12-2020, 13:01   #1289
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
China has "controlled" covid-19 by no longer telling the world what's going on.

Not for second does the rest of the world believe that cases have dropped the way china is "reporting"
FYI Yihang is in China. And as far as I can tell is not a part of the new world order.
Old 02-12-2020, 13:09   #1290

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Wow...

I guess the name of this site should be changed to Conspiracy Forum.