Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2020, 10:15   #181

Boat: C&C Landfall 38
Re: US / Canada border restrictions predictions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Closer to topic...

https://globalnews.ca/news/7292656/w...rus-exemption/

It's an interesting question. I certainly think they should be allowed out pf Point Roberts so they can shop etc in Canada, but am sceptical about them hitting the main part of the US and then travelling back on any sort of regular basis.

They cite the exemption for Alaska which was probably the wrong thing to do if they were looking to give assurances. And just how many exceptions can be made before it becomes the de facto rule...

Still, I've been to Point Roberts...it would start to feel awfully claustrophobic after a while.
They can go from Point Roberts to anywhere in the US, the trip just has to start by boat, after all it is in US waters....
Old 25-08-2020, 10:30   #182

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. Money always talks, and there are always the rules and laws for the poor, and another set for the wealthy. This can be seen in the unequal way this pandemic has struck our countries. The mortality has fallen far harder on those without money -- as it always does.
Yes, and it's truly astounding how much net worth affects the average lifespan. About 15 years I think.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:43   #183

Quote:
This was my first time back since the fire. It's amazing the size of it, but wondering through some areas it was apparent it wasn't a really hot fire. So the soil wasn't overly damaged. This means things are coming back fast.

The town was saved through the massive fire efforts of the firefighters. Still looks pretty much the same, except for the new visitors' centre which is going up. Gonna be pretty snazzy once it's done.
Wow, surprised they haven't cut down all the burned trees within in falling distance of the trail, 30+ meters to each side. They are hugely dangerous as to striking persons. When there are standing dead trees in the forest, the firefighters stay far clear from and / or will not attempt to deploy into them as they tumble when wind blown. Those areas just are allowed to reburn.

We lost two forest fighters, in two separate instances, a couple of summers back here in Montana by having been struck by falling timber. Lodgepole trees require intense fire to reestablish their seeds. The seeds do not escape from their cones without heat. The serotinous cones give lodgepole pine a special advantage for spreading seeds for the next generation. These cones are closed tight with resin that melts during a fire and releases seeds that have been stored for years. The forest will be thick with small trees in short order. Natural process, just takes a long time before one has a beautiful forest landscape again.

Many areas in Glacier National Park have burned in recent years. Including the entire north side of Lake McDonald at the west entrance to the park and much along St. Mary's Lake on the east entrance.

Never camp or linger near a burned or standing dead tree.
Old 25-08-2020, 10:55   #184

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Wow, surprised they haven't cut down all the burned trees within in falling distance of the trail, 30+ meters to each side. They are hugely dangerous as to striking persons. When there are standing dead trees in the forest, the firefighters stay far clear from and / or will not attempt to deploy into them as they tumble when wind blown. Those areas just are allowed to reburn.

Yes, definitely going to be dangerous for years to come. As you can see, we were strolling along trails that had burned trees right at the edge. I don't know if they plan to remove any. Parks Canada has a policy of leaving things to Nature as much as possible, but as these trees deteriorate over the coming years they may have to cut them back, or close trails.
Old 25-08-2020, 11:24   #185

Holy Moley! thirteen pages of responses to a request for a predicted opening date for the US/Cananda border.

This looks pretty straight-forward: when a respectable vaccine is released for public access, the border will reopen, on evidence of a recent vaccination.
That is likely to be Feb-April 2021
Old 25-08-2020, 17:15   #186

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Posters from other counties attacking fellow Canadian posters about Canadian topics they have no knowledge of. For that matter a topic most have no real first hand knowledge of. Ever been on welfare? Live with an addict? Tell a family member or close friend you won’t enable them anymore? Have to beg or ask family members for food or use their shower/laundry? If you have done one of these chances are you’ve done most. If you haven’t you really shouldn’t have an opinion on social programs IMO.
Where was it that Uncle Bob was attacking Canadians. I think he was just saying in a very nice way , you are a miserable pr**k, and he is right, also you were way off topic, and now your saying people from other countries shouldn’t have an opinion.
Old 25-08-2020, 18:02   #187
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. Money always talks, and there are always the rules and laws for the poor, and another set for the wealthy. This can be seen in the unequal way this pandemic has struck our countries. The mortality has fallen far harder on those without money -- as it always does.
Dunno if you saw this on another thread or not but you might like to read El P's link

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The power of publicity..har har...

https://www.theage.com.au/national/h...25-p55p5v.html

Australia's very own Zataras... on steroids....
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-08-2020, 18:07   #188

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Dunno if you saw this on another thread or not but you might like to read El P's link
Hey Wotname... Are you trying to lighten my cynical spirit .

It is nice to see the rich being forced to play by the rules -- but we know this is the exception, not the rule .
Old 25-08-2020, 18:12   #189
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hey Wotname... Are you trying to lighten my cynical spirit .

It is nice to see the rich being forced to play by the rules -- but we know this is the exception, not the rule .

My cynical spirit tells me there is an election soon in the state in question and votes to be gained by applying the rules evenly and to be seen doing so...

Still we chalk up the wins when we can!!!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 25-08-2020, 20:15   #190
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Where was it that Uncle Bob was attacking Canadians. I think he was just saying in a very nice way , you are a miserable pr**k, and he is right, also you were way off topic, and now your saying people from other countries shouldn’t have an opinion.
Why is he a prick for having an opinion? Why does an Aussie care what a Canadian thinks about Canadian social assistance? It was way off topic but relevant to the discussion that was being had. It is a topic I feel strongly about and have first hand knowledge of from both sides. Not to take this any further but we’re you aware they’re rolling out opioid vending machines this week? They use a scanner and vein patterned on the users wrist and hand to identify and dispense drugs...like that’s not going to go sideways. That’s just the tip of the iceberg and it is best left for somewhere else so I’ll leave it at that.
Old 25-08-2020, 21:47   #191

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Why is he a prick for having an opinion? Why does an Aussie care what a Canadian thinks about Canadian social assistance? It was way off topic but relevant to the discussion that was being had. It is a topic I feel strongly about and have first hand knowledge of from both sides. Not to take this any further but we’re you aware they’re rolling out opioid vending machines this week? They use a scanner and vein patterned on the users wrist and hand to identify and dispense drugs...like that’s not going to go sideways. That’s just the tip of the iceberg and it is best left for somewhere else so I’ll leave it at that.
We kiwis and Aussie’s do care what is happening both in Canada and the US, your pretty damn important to the rest of the world. So you can bet your arse we going to have an opinion when we see what we perceive as bad advice. Reading all the posts here, it seems that most Canadians in my opinion are to be commended on there strong stance, go Canada, I won’t comment on the US, it’s all fake news, so I’ve heard. Hell its hard to stay on topic eh.
Old 26-08-2020, 11:47   #192

Have any Canadian sailors spotted a boat south of the border they really wanted? I’m just wondering about the prospect of making a virtual purchase and shipping a boat home. Something off the Great Lakes or Atlantic Northwest.

If you have, how was the experience? We’re you able to find a broker who was trustworthy?

Would rather buy here but with the border closed Ontario brokers are without competition. If you get my drift. Just compare a fresh water boat in Michigan to the equivalent in Ontario. Do the conversion and you’ll see what I mean.
Old 26-08-2020, 18:01   #193

Boat: C&C

Wow- I can't believe how many of my fellow blinded deaf Canadians are pounding their chests about how well Canada is doing with this scamdemic compared to the US. Do the math fellow Canucks! Today's total is the US had 5.9 million infections and 182000 deaths, that equals 3.1 % death rate. World wide 24 million infections and 822,000 deaths equals 3.4% death rate. Oh Canada eh! only 126000 infections you say and only 9094 deaths, well my fellow Canucks that's a 7.2% death rate and you guys are pounding your chests!?!?!? Are we an inferior weak species? Or is it our great fantastic free health care that's taking care of us so well!?!?!? We're more than double the rate of deaths! Smoke that one!!! Yet we sit here all comfy and criticize the Yanks for spending too much on their armed forces-really!!! It's those forces that are protecting are ars's up here so we can make cars and goods then sell them to the US along with lumber, minerals, oil and gas that has given this nation a nice bunch of well off middle incomer's that can punch away on their [US] Apple and [US] Microsoft little gadgets and think we're better than them!!! Even bringing the British Columbia opiod crisis into this discussion and making fun of it when in The Globe and Smail today it was a fact that there have been approx 6,000 opiod related deaths in BC over the last 3 years and only 203 Covid deaths so far!?!?!? Yet were all hiding in fear -really!!! of a bug [ virus or whatever ] that can't jump on you, isn't blowing around freely in the wind or hanging onto bushes or in the copious amounts of fresh water we drink and take for granted!!! If the US wasn't next door to us since WW2 ended, we'd all most likely be shovelling tar sands for the Chinese or Russians right now, Indigenous people and visible minorities included!!! Actually those 2 groups would probably be carrying swamp water to us so we didn't dehydrate!!! My boat is stuck down south right now and I'm not happy either, do I want the border opened right now and be possibly flooded with young infected Covid people? [maybe the females? just dreaming!] No, but if it happened, I could stay well clear of them, or at least learn how to properly wash my hands and everything I touch. I'm old and probably wouldn't make it threw any ordeal with Covid, but life has to carry on and the young people have to keep going and I don't blame them. I partied my ass off when I was younger and still do to some extent, especially when we're sailing around The Bahamas. Boy I miss that and sure hope we can "do it again, and sail down to Abaco"as the Barefoot Man says!!! Cheers and stay safe!!!
Old 26-08-2020, 18:59   #194
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Wow- I can't believe how many of my fellow blinded deaf Canadians are pounding their chests about how well Canada is doing with this scamdemic compared to the US. Do the math fellow Canucks! Today's total is the US had 5.9 million infections and 182000 deaths, that equals 3.1 % death rate. World wide 24 million infections and 822,000 deaths equals 3.4% death rate. Oh Canada eh! only 126000 infections you say and only 9094 deaths, well my fellow Canucks that's a 7.2% death rate and you guys are pounding your chests!?!?!? Are we an inferior weak species? Or is it our great fantastic free health care that's taking care of us so well!?!?!? We're more than double the rate of deaths! Smoke that one!!! Yet we sit here all comfy and criticize the Yanks for spending too much on their armed forces-really!!! It's those forces that are protecting are ars's up here so we can make cars and goods then sell them to the US along with lumber, minerals, oil and gas that has given this nation a nice bunch of well off middle incomer's that can punch away on their [US] Apple and [US] Microsoft little gadgets and think we're better than them!!! Even bringing the British Columbia opiod crisis into this discussion and making fun of it when in The Globe and Smail today it was a fact that there have been approx 6,000 opiod related deaths in BC over the last 3 years and only 203 Covid deaths so far!?!?!? Yet were all hiding in fear -really!!! of a bug [ virus or whatever ] that can't jump on you, isn't blowing around freely in the wind or hanging onto bushes or in the copious amounts of fresh water we drink and take for granted!!! If the US wasn't next door to us since WW2 ended, we'd all most likely be shovelling tar sands for the Chinese or Russians right now, Indigenous people and visible minorities included!!! Actually those 2 groups would probably be carrying swamp water to us so we didn't dehydrate!!! My boat is stuck down south right now and I'm not happy either, do I want the border opened right now and be possibly flooded with young infected Covid people? [maybe the females? just dreaming!] No, but if it happened, I could stay well clear of them, or at least learn how to properly wash my hands and everything I touch. I'm old and probably wouldn't make it threw any ordeal with Covid, but life has to carry on and the young people have to keep going and I don't blame them. I partied my ass off when I was younger and still do to some extent, especially when we're sailing around The Bahamas. Boy I miss that and sure hope we can "do it again, and sail down to Abaco"as the Barefoot Man says!!! Cheers and stay safe!!!
Read a report on the relationship between chronic disease management and covid deaths; basically the advanced healthcare systems of developed countries has increased the number of people coping with chronic diseases and making a greater portion of the population vulnerable to covid (among other things). This comes back to personal responsibility, but I’m certain everyone has known or heard someone comment along the lines of ‘why don’t you quit smoking/drinking/drugs?’ ‘Ah when I get cancer/ liver disease/OD they’ll be able to cure/grow me a new one/revive me.’ But when reality comes due it’s the ‘healthcare’ system that fails them.
Old 26-08-2020, 20:03   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
Wow- I can't believe how many of my fellow blinded deaf Canadians are pounding their chests about how well Canada is doing with this scamdemic compared to the US. Do the math fellow Canucks!
Pencil poised...

Quote:
Today's total is the US had 5.9 million infections and 182000 deaths, that equals 3.1 % death rate.... Oh Canada eh! only 126000 infections you say and only 9094 deaths, well my fellow Canucks that's a 7.2% death rate
The higher death rate in your calculations reflects the sad fact that COVID-19 got into many rest homes before proper controls were in place.

There's not much pleasure in doing these comparisons, or understanding either. For the record, the US with 9 times as many people as Canada, has had 20 times the COVID deaths to date. So what? it's been a combination of factors, but luck is a big one; the US with its many airports and volume of international travel, got infected faster than Canada did. That's probably the biggest.

Tags
Canada