Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 15:01   #211

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII
Re: US / Canada border restrictions predictions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, much like Canada, or Australia, or other federal countries. Of course Oz only has six states and three territories. Canada has 10 provinces and three territories. Whereas the USA has 50 states and, what, five territories?
I am probably wrong but I was under the impression it was 7 territories, never fear though, there are a few members here that seem to live to tell me I'm wrong. If the number isn't 7, we should know very soon
Old 28-08-2020, 15:08   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
Simply put, the world tends to see the U.S. as a single country (which it is, fair point) but the actual government is far more complicated. ... Maybe the *president/leader* of your country can order a lockdown, but the president of the U.S. does not have that authority
There's power - what a leader can or cannot control legally - but power is only a small component of leadership, and not even a mandatory one. From one of countless Google hits for "leadership":
Leaders help themselves and others to do the right things. They set direction, build an inspiring vision, and create something new. Leadership is about mapping out where you need to go to "win" as a team or an organization
A good leader can accomplish much without power.
Quote:
Being this is the first time in the history of the country such an event has taken place, it's interesting if nothing else.
Others have pointed out that we all should have been better-prepared from our most recent brushes with near-pandemics like SARS. Anyway... no, we haven't seen anything of this magnitude. And we're still "in" it, and will be for a while.
Old 28-08-2020, 15:18   #213

Quote:
Simply put, the world tends to see the U.S. as a single country (which it is, fair point) but the actual government is far more complicated. Each state and territory has its own unique government, operating with and independent of the federal government at the same time. To make it even more chaotic, interstate relationships vary from state to state. Maybe the *president/leader* of your country can order a lockdown, but the president of the U.S. does not have that authority (falls to 57 governors who obviously don't agree with each other on the matter)
Being this is the first time in the history of the country such an event has taken place, it's interesting if nothing else.
Indeed, the motto of the United States of America is: E pluribus unum. Out of many, one.

Yet the correct expression for statements regarding the union is written as: The United State of America are . . .; and not the United States of America is . . .

A truly complicated and still imperfect republic.

By way of example, I am a Montañan, formerly a Californian, a Nebraskan, and a Kansan. Yet, some will call me an American, but that is inclusive of everyone residing in the "New World". Hence there are Canadian Americans, Mexican Americans, Panamanian Americans, Puerto Rican Americans, Chilean Americans, Brazilian Americans, etc. As to us Yanks, well I guess we are "US Americans".

Or as some Aussie's may call us: seppo.

Image of the Americas below; population 1.002 Billion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Americas.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	222158  
Old 28-08-2020, 15:25   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
There's power - what a leader can or cannot control legally - but power is only a small component of leadership, and not even a mandatory one. From one of countless Google hits for "leadership":
Leaders help themselves and others to do the right things. They set direction, build an inspiring vision, and create something new. Leadership is about mapping out where you need to go to "win" as a team or an organization
A good leader can accomplish much without power.

Others have pointed out that we all should have been better-prepared from our most recent brushes with near-pandemics like SARS. Anyway... no, we haven't seen anything of this magnitude. And we're still "in" it, and will be for a while.
The U.S. Federal government (Trump's team) released guidelines in the very beginning. Alabama governor (along with many others) said NO WE WILL NOT SHUT DOWN. I will never forget her speech that day.
End of story. Call it or twist it any way you choose. The final call falls to the state and that is that. Trying to blame the president is just an attack on the person. MANY Trump supporting governors said NO to closing their states when he requested a 14 day lockdown. Most only relented when their own people demanded it and only closed long enough to make a show. Nobody actually locked down
Old 28-08-2020, 15:29   #215

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
Simply put, the world tends to see the U.S. as a single country (which it is, fair point) but the actual government is far more complicated. Each state and territory has its own unique government, operating with and independent of the federal government at the same time. To make it even more chaotic, interstate relationships vary from state to state. Maybe the *president/leader* of your country can order a lockdown, but the president of the U.S. does not have that authority (falls to 57 governors who obviously don't agree with each other on the matter)
Maybe that’s the problem, you would think when a pandemic is called, the federal gov should have overriding power and set the rules, so every state has the same measures in place. Although in the case of the US, that probably wouldn’t have gone very well, you know, having bleach in your coffee etc..etc.. . Maybe, just maybe, like in NZ your leader takes the advice of the medical director, after all, that’s why there is a medical director, because politicians are way out of there depth. Could you imagine mr trump listening, instead of mouthing
Old 28-08-2020, 15:31   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fella View Post
Maybe that’s the problem, you would think when a pandemic is called, the federal gov should have overriding power and set the rules, so every state has the same measures in place. Although in the case of the US, that probably wouldn’t have gone very well, you know, having bleach in your coffee etc..etc.. . Maybe, just maybe, like in NZ your leader takes the advice of the medical director, after all, that’s why there is a medical director, because politicians are way out of there depth. Could you imagine mr trump listening, instead of mouthing
Could you imagine having a conversation without attacking my President?
Old 28-08-2020, 15:34   #217

Quote:
The U.S. Federal government (Trump's team) released guidelines in the very beginning. Alabama governor (along with many others) said NO WE WILL NOT SHUT DOWN. I will never forget her speech that day.
End of story. Call it or twist it any way you choose. The final call falls to the state and that is that. Trying to blame the president is just an attack on the person. MANY Trump supporting governors said NO to closing their states when he requested a 14 day lockdown. Most only relented when their own people demanded it and only closed long enough to make a show. Nobody actually locked down
They are free to do whatever their heart desires. They just can't expect us to want the border reopen until things are under control south of the border. And that is what this thread was about.
Old 28-08-2020, 15:41   #218

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I am probably wrong but I was under the impression it was 7 territories, never fear though, there are a few members here that seem to live to tell me I'm wrong. If the number isn't 7, we should know very soon

No doubt one of us will be told .
Old 28-08-2020, 15:43   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
They are free to do whatever their heart desires. They just can't expect us to want the border reopen until things are under control south of the border. And that is what this thread was about.
Agree 100%, was just pointing out blame placed on the president was in error.
Old 28-08-2020, 15:46   #220

Boat: Buccaneer 16ft

Quote:
No !!!!!
Old 28-08-2020, 15:50   #221

Just read the actual Pew study. Interesting research. A couple of other findings strike me as interesting:

#1. In Europe, those who have favorable opinions of right-wing populist parties are more likely than those with unfavorable views to say division has grown since the coronavirus outbreak began.

#2. Feelings of national disunity are tied to feelings of distrust as well. In many countries, those who say that, in general, most people cannot be trusted are more likely to say their country is now more divided than those who say most people can be trusted. In 11 of 14 countries surveyed, this gap exceeds 10 percentage points.
Old 28-08-2020, 15:59   #222

Quote:
Quote:
Let me tell you a story. My province, Ontario, has a leader - Premier Doug Ford - cut from the conservative populist cloth, and considered divisive for his "combativeness, partisanship and populist rhetoric". Guess who he got compared to, lots. That's not my sort of politician, and I didn't vote for him.

Enter the pandemic. And he rose to the occasion. The man dropped his partisan stance and went to work for every person in Ontario. He impressed just about everyone. He impressed me.

Leadership. When it's most needed.

Read the link, and think about it.
Old 28-08-2020, 19:23   #223
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
I accept what you have posted is correct and the final call falls to the state. What is confusing though is why then did POTUS keep on commenting and making suggestions if it wasn't in his bailiwick. If he wanted to influence the debate (which is fair enough), then it is only reasonable that others will critique his comments.

He can't have it both ways, it is either his call or it is not but if he enters the kitchen, he has to stand the heat regardless.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-08-2020, 19:30   #224
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
No doubt one of us will be told .
Gentlemen, only posting this because you are interested...

Six States and ten territories (three internal and seven external)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States...s_of_Australia

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 28-08-2020, 20:45   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Gentlemen, only posting this because you are interested...

Six States and ten territories (three internal and seven external)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/States...s_of_Australia

Well there you go .

Tags
Canada