Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 21:13   #226

Re: US / Canada border restrictions predictions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Ho-hum - it's just a strong Flu type illness - except: no it is not!

Flu Deaths per yr, most recent CDC data: 24000 - 62000 deaths
Covid-19 deaths last six months 185900 deaths - call it a yearly rate of
371000 deaths
Old 29-08-2020, 06:32   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by betwys1 View Post
Ho-hum - it's just a strong Flu type illness - except: no it is not!

Flu Deaths per yr, most recent CDC data: 24000 - 62000 deaths
Covid-19 deaths last six months 185900 deaths - call it a yearly rate of
371000 deaths
You realize his link is from a serious anti-vax organization right?

It's impossible to have a serious and rational discussion with people who don't accept basic scientific facts. Why bother?

Put them all on ignore and move on.
Old 29-08-2020, 06:53   #228

Boat: Allied Princess 36 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
I accept what you have posted is correct and the final call falls to the state. What is confusing though is why then did POTUS keep on commenting and making suggestions if it wasn't in his bailiwick. If he wanted to influence the debate (which is fair enough), then it is only reasonable that others will critique his comments.

He can't have it both ways, it is either his call or it is not but if he enters the kitchen, he has to stand the heat regardless.
I agree, 100%. But to place blame on him for decisions made by governors i can't agree with.
Old 29-08-2020, 07:06   #229

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I agree, 100%. But to place blame on him for decisions made by governors i can't agree with.
There's plenty of blame to be shared around in most countries. Canada's response is far from stellar. The number of deaths in many of our seniors' homes is a national shame. In fact, that's where over 70% of our mortality is concentrated (last time I looked). It's an absolute condemnation of how we treat our elderly here in this rich, and supposedly compassionate, nation.

The stark contrast in the USA, and to a slightly lesser extent the UK, vs almost every other democratic nation, is how the pandemic has been politicized. This is inferred in the Pew data I posted.

This is why Canadians are so reluctant to open our southern border with the USA (to bring this back on topic). I believe it is less about the actual infection rates, and more about the political insanity that turns a viral infection into a political weapon.
Old 29-08-2020, 07:37   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I believe [the Canada/US border restriction] is less about the actual infection rates, and more about the political insanity that turns a viral infection into a political weapon.

Mmmm, no. It's about the virus. Ideas and attitudes can cross borders easily.
Old 29-08-2020, 07:47   #231

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Mmmm, no. It's about the virus. Ideas and attitudes can cross borders easily.
Oh I dunno. We've done a decent job of keeping our nut-bar numbers low up here, despite the rampant craziness of down south. Not that we don't have anti-science folks up here as well, but thankfully our numbers are small(er).

I've said from the get-go that a key factor in how nations perform in this pandemic will likely be related to the trust levels in each society. And this is borne out once again in this Pew study:

Quote:
Feelings of national disunity are tied to feelings of distrust as well. In many countries, those who say that, in general, most people cannot be trusted are more likely to say their country is now more divided than those who say most people can be trusted.
ADD: See, wannacat proves my above point.
Old 29-08-2020, 07:51   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBinSTPete View Post
[ TheMainStreamMedia claim Americans ] had almost 45,000 cases. Canada with 1/10th the US population had 336. There is no appetite to open the border until [ Americans ] gets its numbers down [snip]
Everyday, I see individuals driving alone, vehicle windows rolled up tight with no passengers, dutifully following orders from TheGovernmentAgents, wearing their mandated mask (aka 'face-mask').

Are the hypochondriacs running the asylum?

How soon until TheGovernmentAgents mandate the quarantine trains, mandating a six-foot anti-social distancing indicated by the mandated 'stand here' decals on the floor in each boxcar, to the quarantine camps?

How many hypochondriacs would proudly virtue-signal rush to be the first to board?

Fortunately, after the boxcars unload their eager cargo at the pits near the quarantine camps, the faithful will be told 'your services are no longer needed'... except as agriculture supplements.
Old 29-08-2020, 07:51   #233

Quote:
Oh I dunno. We've done a decent job of keeping our nut-bar numbers low up here, despite the rampant craziness of down south. Not that we don't have anti-science folks up here as well, but thankfully our numbers are small(er).

I've said from the get-go that a key factor in how nations perform in this pandemic will likely be related to the trust levels in each society. And this is borne out once again in this Pew study:

ADD: See, wannacat proves my above point.
There was a "huge" anti-mask rally in Ottawa earlier this week. The number was in the 10s. That kind of warmed my heart.

Old 29-08-2020, 17:11   #234
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Adeline View Post
I agree, 100% as well.

It seems like many have forgotten (or never knew) the difference between critique and blame or more likely, they aren't interested in the former and love that latter.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-08-2020, 17:16   #235

Quote:
...... Canada's response is far from stellar. The number of deaths in many of our seniors' homes is a national shame. In fact, that's where over 70% of our mortality is concentrated (last time I looked). It's an absolute condemnation of how we treat our elderly here in this rich, and supposedly compassionate, nation............
Once again it seems that Australia is in lock step with Canada - we treat our elderly here with a complete and utter disregard to any level of humanity. Not everywhere of course but at enough institutions to be noticed and it always boils down to funding and oversight.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 29-08-2020, 17:18   #236

Quote:
....... Ideas and attitudes can cross borders easily.
Golly, I hope not....
Old 29-08-2020, 19:08   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Golly, I hope not....

...said a bloke a half a world away
Old 29-08-2020, 19:10   #238

Quote:
...said a bloke a half a world away
Well the virus did it
Old 31-08-2020, 13:48   #239

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Great you guys stay home, we don’t need you in Florida this winter. Less traffic, less competition for services and restaurant tables, keep your noses in the air and freeze, it’ll keep your Covid numbers down.
Old 31-08-2020, 15:23   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by timb7734 View Post
Great you guys stay home, we don’t need you in Florida this winter. Less traffic, less competition for services and restaurant tables, keep your noses in the air and freeze, it’ll keep your Covid numbers down.
You may want to share your views with the folks who live along the border currently. Seems many want the border open so the frequent Canadian day trippers can return.

Cheers.

Tags
Canada