Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 10:22   #256

Boat: campion 32 motorsail. 25 beachcomber ketch
Re: US / Canada border restrictions predictions...

sorry folks cant help myself; yr2030 go tell the families of your 6% DEAD statistic that they have been scammed. whiskey tango foxtrot.......
Old 02-09-2020, 10:28   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by svhydra View Post
sorry folks cant help myself; yr2030 go tell the families of your 6% DEAD statistic that they have been scammed. whiskey tango foxtrot.......

Yeah, I guess as long as it's not his family, he's OK with that.

Kinda like this teacher in Florida who thinks DeSantis is crazy, which he is:

A few weeks ago, I saw on Facebook that a social studies teacher at my former high school in Sarasota, Florida, had died from COVID-19. His name was Robert Shackelford, or “Shack” for short. He was 61 years old. One of his colleagues, my former economics and government teacher Christy Karwatt, shared the news: “He taught countless children to love history and he will be missed.”
Last week, I decided to reach out to Karwatt. I had seen through social media the impact Shackelford’s death had on her and many of my former classmates, and I wondered how it would influence the reopening plans of Sarasota High, my alma mater.
While state policy demands all Florida schools reopen for in-person learning or risk losing funding (a policy currently in the middle of a fast-moving legal battle), Karwatt, who I remember as one of my most devoted teachers, told me she will not be returning when the school reopens on August 31. That’s in large part because of Shackleford’s death. “Had that not happened,” she said, she might have been open to going back. They were the same age when he passed, and she says going back is “not worth the risk right now.” Instead, she plans to take a temporary medical leave of absence, delaying the start of her 27th year of teaching at the school.
Ideally, Karwatt said, she’d teach remotely until there was a vaccine or COVID-19 cases in Sarasota’s kids dropped below 3 percent of tested individuals. (As of August 25, it’s about 10 percent.) But that may not be an option, even if Gov. Ron DeSantis’ order is overturned by the courts; reopening plans would still be up to local officials. In mid-July, the Sarasota school board, which is an overwhelmingly white and heavily Republican county, approved a “five-day, brick and mortar instructional plan” that allows students to choose between distance learning and going to school, while teachers are required to be physically present.
Karwatt says many of her peers have stayed silent out of fear of retaliation from the district, but she has been particularly outspoken, participating in protests with other teachers and speaking with national outlets, including CNN and USA Today. When I caught up with Karwatt (whom I struggle to call anything but Ms. Karwatt) via Zoom, we talked about what safety measures Sarasota High is requiring, how she thinks politics have influenced parents’ decisions to send their kids back, what she would say to DeSantis if given the opportunity, and the last heartbreaking text from Shack.
Well if I just mask up and be really careful, I can go back into the classroom. But he and I are exactly the same age. We were talking about retiring at the same time—and he was healthy, 6’4” perfect shape—so I thought, I just can’t take any risk and go back into the classroom.
But to me, this wasn’t a political issue at all. To me, this is a health issue. I know some people say that Democrats are making it a political issue. I feel the Republicans are. But I feel that politics should have no place in making these decisions. Science and medicine should be making the decisions as to whether we should go to school or not.
If you could send a message to Ron DeSantis, to speak directly to him, what would you say?
I would say that politics, the economy, his cozying up to Donald Trump is not worth the sickness and maybe the death that his decisions are going to cause. I get so tired of hearing them say, “Well, the death rate is this low.” And doctors are concerned about kids having long-term health problems [after COVID-19]. We don’t know. So if we don’t know, I think I’d rather be cautious instead of gambling with kids’ lives. I would tell him that I think, if people get sick and die, it’s his responsibility if he’s sending them back to school. I hope you can’t sleep at night because of it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 02-09-2020, 10:51   #258

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

With the number of Covid cases in BC starting to spike with the border closed, it's hard to believe the border will open any time soon even though it appears the border closing isn't working. Time will tell I suppose.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...infection.html
Old 02-09-2020, 11:23   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
With the number of Covid cases in BC starting to spike with the border closed, it's hard to believe the border will open any time soon even though it appears the border closing isn't working. Time will tell I suppose.

What?

Really utter ... whatever.

Compare the totals.

Troll...

Here's the BC dashboard.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded

Spike? Yup, all of 58 new cases.

The border has nothing to do with it.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 02-09-2020, 11:33   #260

Quote:
Very astute evaluation and projection.

Indeed, the State of Washington may well desire to keep the Canadian border closed, perhaps to even be extended to include bans on essential as well as non-essential purposes. The BC [Before Covid] Canadian Covid being Oh So Much worse than the China Virus that has spred in the USA; there being no such thing as a Yankee Virus, or so we are told.

On a favorable note, the number of new Covid cases in the USA is generally trending down from its July peak, and deaths from its April peak, so perhaps come winter time maybe the rates will be rather more comparable between our countries. And what with the disdain that many Canadians have towards spending winter on their side of the border, perhaps there will be a strong push by the Snowbirders to allow for migration southbound, particularly given that not many Yanks will desire to head northbound into inclimate regions during the same season, makes for a rather one way tilted flow of cross border travellers.

What is worse, a winter spent in Canada, or a case of Corona?
Oh, hang on there, the Canadian border is just a stone's throw north of my home, so likely I'm in a similar situation, as Y'ALL-Bertans.

Analysing the graphs, the data suggests that weekends seem to be the safer time. Its surviving Monday to Friday that one most has to fear. Reminds me of school and work schedules that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USA covid.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	222567   Click image for larger version

Name:	USA deaths.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	222568  

Old 02-09-2020, 11:37   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
What?

Really utter ... whatever.

Compare the totals.

Troll...

Here's the BC dashboard.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experi...9e3cda29297ded

Spike? Yup, all of 58 new cases.

The border has nothing to do with it.
The link you posted shows what I said. Look at the "cases by day" chart at the lower left.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:55   #262

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Think you’re reading the data wrong...those numbers are the total cases to-date, not today!
Old 02-09-2020, 12:12   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Think you’re reading the data wrong...those numbers are the total cases to-date, not today!
I know exactly what it is. The trajectory is obvious.
Let me help you, if the total cases is a horizontal line there are no new cases, if the slope is linear the new infection rate is steady, if the slope is increasing the new infection rate is accelerating. With that basic tutorial, go back and look at it and tell me what you see.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:24   #264

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

The number to look at is not the daily number, rather the 7 day moving average. The daily number can be affected by many variables completely unrelated to the virus. Some examples:

The number tests administered. If there is a surge of new tests, there should be a surge of new cases.

Equipment breakdown, if the testing equipment is out of service, fewer tests can be completed, the number goes down. Followed by a surge a few days later when the lab catches up.

Staffing at the lab facility affects the number of cases the lab can process.

The most representative statistic is a 7 day moving average of the rate of infection, i.e., the percentage of positive cases resulting from the tests administered each day. That will smooth out the data and reveal the trend.
Old 02-09-2020, 14:07   #265

Not desiring to add to the gloom of 2020 and beyond arising from this pandemic, but one needs to recognize that if you are fortunate enough to recover from Covid-19 there is a strong possibility of significant lingering health issues and likely premature death. The cumulative number of persons that have so called "recovered" and not died is much larger than the vast number that have died, and that large group of the population is becoming a huge medical burden as to follow on recovery and severe health issues.

There is no end to the coronavirus pandemic in sight yet and the world is already staring at another health crisis: the Covid-19 aftermath. They call it the “post-Covid syndrome”.

Post-Covid-19 analysis by top American scientific bodies the National Center for Biotechnology Information and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have found that many patients who recovered from the coronavirus infection are facing milder to life-threatening symptoms. Hospitals across the world are witnessing deadly health issues like heart damage, stroke, neurological problems, lung damage or pulmonary fibrosis, chronic fatigue syndrome and multi-system inflammatory syndrome in children.

A sample study by the Journal of American Medical Association conducted in Frankfurt, Germany found 78% of the recovered Covid-19 respondents developed heart-related problems. These were healthy individuals, aged 40 to 50 before the novel coronavirus infection. A study by the UK’s Edinburgh University, in 69 countries across six continents, found heart abnormality in 55% patients while 15% patients showed severe abnormalities. All such recovered cases never had had related issues in the past.

Many recovered Covid-19 patients are also being re-hospitalised for pulmonary fibrosis, with damaged lung tissues. They may need oxygen support from time to time for the rest of their lives

Life-threatening Health Issues Post Covid-19 Recovery

Heart - Sample studies have found 80% healthy people facing heart problems post Covid recovery. Life-long disease, may result in multiple organ disability

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - 10% recovered Covid-19 cases may develop it,​ say research studies

Breathlessness - Patient may require oxygen support for life

​Multi-system Inflammatory Syndrome in Children - Severe illness in children, multiple organs show inflammatory response

According to a research paper posted by America’s National Institute of Health and similar papers published by other health-science entities, post-Covid syndrome can cause patients even to have nervous, immune, and metabolic system abnormalities, all affecting the body in sync, similar to a health illness known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)/myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), that was identified 70 years ago. ME is a long-term-effect health problem that deteriorates our strength and body.

Hospitals and doctors say many recovered patients are complaining about and being re-hospitalised for severe fatigue, brain fog, body ache and pain and immune aberrations, all ME symptoms. In severe cases, ME can also disable the whole body.

According to Dr Anthony Fauci, top American infectious disease expert, countries need to consider seriously that what many patients are facing is strikingly similar to ME. “This is not a virus to take lightly, even with young people,” Fauci said

Let me know if you want more depressing knowledge.

Wishing y'all stay healthy.
Old 02-09-2020, 14:33   #266

I had a biannual appointment with my cardiologist this morning. We talked about covid and he said he hasn't seen any post covid heart issues. He did say there is significant post covid fatigue and they dont know if it will go away. The long term effects are unknown and he said you really dont want to get it. At any rate, the response has financially ruined a lot of people and that will last a lifetime. You just have to make the best of the opportunities it created------- bull market. Small business is wiped out leaving larger publicly traded companies with new opportunities and growth.
Old 02-09-2020, 14:59   #267

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Black flies, mosquitoes and -30s C.
But rarely at the same time.
Old 02-09-2020, 15:02   #268

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Back to the original topic, yesterday the US had 42,000 new cases and almost 1200 deaths. Canada had 447 new cases (a fairly high day) and six deaths. Reopening the border is not happening for many months at best.
Old 02-09-2020, 15:09   #269

Florida winter rental rates are looking good this year. Thanks for staying home!!!
Old 02-09-2020, 15:37   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Quote:
I know exactly what it is. The trajectory is obvious.
Let me help you, if the total cases is a horizontal line there are no new cases, if the slope is linear the new infection rate is steady, if the slope is increasing the new infection rate is accelerating. With that basic tutorial, go back and look at it and tell me what you see.
A picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bccovid.PNG
Views:	62
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	222577  

Tags
Canada