Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2020, 13:50   #31

Boat: Beneteau
Re: US / Canada border restrictions predictions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
This virus is not going away due to any human actions unfortunately. Once it escaped from the lab or wherever in Wuhan, there was no putting the genie back into the bottle. It is also very possible that due to mutations, there will be a different strain each season, and IF there is a vaccine, the scientists will have to guess which strain it will be, much like the flu. The odds are that they will get it wrong more then they guess correctly. It is possible that it will go away naturally, like another famous coronavirus, SARS.

Mike had two excellent points about the reopening. First, politicians and apparatchiks will use this as much as possible to gain any advantage. It seems to be happening in Canada, and is definitely happening in the U.S. There are also significant financial incentives here in the U.S. as the federal government is paying around $30,000 U.S. for every Wuhan virus death, so unsurprisingly there are many thousands of deaths that are listed as a Wuhan virus death regardless of the actual cause.

Second, until the pain becomes unbearable and the citizenry reacts, things will not change. Concurrent with this, if countries like Sweden, the Netherlands, and others who didn't fully shut down are shown to be over it, opinion in the policy circles may change. Certainly, those who didn't shut down are dong much better economically. There is some evidence that we are killing more with the shutdown that we are saving.

Regardless, I don't see the borders opening much before the end of the year, and I wouldn't be surprised if it took a good bit longer. This however may not be an all or nothing game. We are already seeing some travel allowed if the travelers can demonstrate a satisfactory quarantine. As better, faster, and more affordable tests become available, as people realize it has a low mortality rate, and as people realize there are effective treatments with very good results and use them, there may be a gradual lessening of the draconian restrictions.

This did NOT escape from a lab despite the claims of the non science community. The vast majority of the scientific community that have sequenced the genes agree that it is simple evolution that has mutated as expected. And to believe that it was created points to the underlying issues that have led to the unfortunate circumstances in some countries that like to deny science and it's better understanding of the virus.
Old 20-08-2020, 14:04   #32

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Sounds like it's going to be a bad time to own a restaurant in Whistler Village this year (or anything else). We yanks will just go to Tahoe where we can get bacon and eggs for breakfast - instead of those muffins so popular in Hoser Land.
Yeh, they may have to suffer dealing with the €, Canada will be open to many European countries, but I don’t see Whistler Blackcomb opening up much of the hill and then it will be mainly for locals.....
Old 20-08-2020, 14:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
From the official CBSA statement on boating:
https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...y-reasons.html

So either all those US boats are navigating across our waters out of some necessity, or they are in violation of the law.
On AIS I’m seeing a flow of US boats going north, they say they are going to Alaska, but the BC coast is so large and unpopulated that they can find thousands of places to tuck in and enjoy......
Old 20-08-2020, 14:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
It would help if you could explain this.

What immunity has caught up?

The purpose of the lockdowns was to reduce person-to-person contact and attempt to reduce infectious people from infecting others.

What's changed?

There is no vaccine. There is nothing different about the virus since early this year.

The entire lockdown concept was to reduce contact to slow the spread.

NY paid a price, but was successful. Did South Dakota, Georgia, Texas & Florida listen? Nah...

Those countries and, in the US, states who have refused to listen to science and facts are paying the price.

That is the herd immunity theory, may not work with this bug, I have yet to see anything convincing that exposure leads to immunity.

The Swedish thought they were ahead using that theory, now they can’t travel in Europe, or pretty much anywhere, and realizing killing all the old folks may have been a waste......
Old 20-08-2020, 14:17   #35

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
NY paid a price, but was successful. Did South Dakota, Georgia, Texas & Florida listen? Nah...
I would not use NY as an example of success. The death rate per million in NY is over three times that of Florida, and over four times the rate in Texas.

Worse, many of these deaths should have been avoided but were due to very bad policy, the governor's arrogance, malpractice including criminal malpractice, and the constant closing of hospitals and beds despite an exceptionally bad epidemic two years earlier that broke the health care system in NY>

Some hospitals in NYC were treating people as DNR who did not have DNRs. Thousands were put on ventilators which were known to kill patients in mass numbers, and the refusal to use treatments that were proven to cure patients.
Old 20-08-2020, 14:19   #36

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
On AIS I’m seeing a flow of US boats going north, they say they are going to Alaska, but the BC coast is so large and unpopulated that they can find thousands of places to tuck in and enjoy......
What's wrong with that?
Old 20-08-2020, 14:38   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
We are not going to open our borders until the chaos South of them reduces.

Sorry, but I'm in support of that.
LittleWing77
I’m American
AND I TOTALLY AGREE AND COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND
We are in a mess and anybody who doesn’t see that
is a Moron, One thing for sure, my country
doesn’t have a lock on the worlds brightest.
Cheers
Neil
Old 20-08-2020, 14:46   #38

Boat: Samson C-shell 36

Quote:
As long as they are wise about it I don’t see any issue.
Old 20-08-2020, 15:00   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayal View Post
As long as they are wise about it I don’t see any issue.
Yes. That's a reasonable response. No need for hysteria.
Old 20-08-2020, 15:12   #40

Boat: C&C

I understand the cost of a Covid test is around $165 and results can be had in 1 1/2 hours. Why not test any and everyone crossing the border that wants too and have them pay the costs, maybe even up it to $250 or whatever. They could simply sit at the border or airport in a restricted area and play on their tablets or phones till they get the results. I understand that Britain is now going to do something like this. apparently this virus is mutating according to info coming out of New Zealand so don't hold your breath for a perfect vaccine!
Old 20-08-2020, 15:21   #41

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannacat View Post
I understand the cost of a Covid test is around $165 and results can be had in 1 1/2 hours. Why not test any and everyone crossing the border that wants too and have them pay the costs, maybe even up it to $250 or whatever. They could simply sit at the border or airport in a restricted area and play on their tablets or phones till they get the results. I understand that Britain is now going to do something like this. apparently this virus is mutating according to info coming out of New Zealand so don't hold your breath for a perfect vaccine!

That is an excellent question. There are some things I think should be clarified. For example, how accurate are the tests/ The U.S. CIC, Centers for Disease Control, clearly states that a positive test does NOT mean one had the Wuhan virus. It could be something else to include the common cold.

Also, will the test accurately indicate a mutated strain of the virus. Nonetheless, I think this is worth looking into.
Old 20-08-2020, 15:27   #42

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
What's wrong with that?
Sigh. Because ...

IT
IS
AGAINST
THE
LAW!

Why is that so hard. It doesn't matter if it's the right law or not, or whether anyone agrees with it. Why is it so hard to understand that screwing around just makes it worse for everyone?
Old 20-08-2020, 15:54   #43
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
That is the herd immunity theory, may not work with this bug, I have yet to see anything convincing that exposure leads to immunity.

The Swedish thought they were ahead using that theory, now they can’t travel in Europe, or pretty much anywhere, and realizing killing all the old folks may have been a waste......
Lots of evidence mounting showing that even in mild cases there is strong immune response and effective lasting immunity. The problem comparing Sweden to the rest of Europe is IF Sweden is in fact through the pandemic, the rest of Europe is still catching up and only time will tell if their death rate is in fact high or will it end up being average. One thing for sure is they didn't 'print' a ton of money to artificially support their economy.
Old 20-08-2020, 15:54   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Sigh. Because ...

IT
IS
AGAINST
THE
LAW!

Why is that so hard. It doesn't matter if it's the right law or not, or whether anyone agrees with it. Why is it so hard to understand that screwing around just makes it worse for everyone?
I'm sure it's more of a suggestion than a hard and fast rule.
Old 20-08-2020, 15:58   #45

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

This is the concern... the watery version of the Alaska Loophole. But if they're still broadcasting their AIS signal, it surely must mean they are legit. You'd have to be some kinda dumb to try and sneak in on a false pretense, all the while broadcasting "LOOK AT ME! FOLLOW ME!" on AIS.

Tags
Canada