Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: Vaccine Certification Restriction of Travel

Ivermectin as a tool against malaria:
https://www.iflscience.com/health-an...ad-of-malaria/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...163-4/fulltext
Old 02-01-2021, 11:37   #797

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

Just for my selfish desire to go cruising in 2021, I urge the people who do not believe in science to stop spreading misinformation about the vaccine and the pandemic. In the US the only valid information you should listen to should come from the CDC or your States Healthcare agency. Think - why on earth the government of your country (US, UK, Germany, Russia, Japan, China, etc.) conspired worldwide to inject a dangerous vaccine to kill its population. To make money? There are faster way and simpler way to make money - ever heard of Bitcoin.

The more misinformation spreading, the slower the world can stop Covid-19 and of course the longer all countries open borders for cruising. The world had stamped out various pandemic and dangerous viruses(H1N1, Ebola, etc.) with science and vaccines. You have your own mighty right to not believe whatever you want but it does not change that fact. Last, I respect the frontline essential workers (grocer clerks, teacher, nurse, doctor, etc) who put their lives and their families at risk right now to serve everyone and keep society functions; for their shakes please wear the darn mask. Happy New Year!
Old 02-01-2021, 11:55   #798

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Okayy, You said " the science on cannabis suggests most of the medicinal claims are weak or dubious......, I said " Show me..Something that suggests cannabis is worthless for treating cancer or epilepsy or inflammation .
Did you even read your own links? From healthline (a pop science site):

Quote:
Researchers continue to study the medical benefits of marijuana. It may be effective in treating...
From WebMD:
Quote:
Yet while many people are using marijuana, the FDA has only approved it for treatment of two rare and severe forms of epilepsy, Dravet syndrome and Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.

Researchers are studying whether medical marijuana can help treat a number of conditions including: ...
From the NIH:
Quote:
Drugs containing cannabinoids may be helpful in treating certain rare forms of epilepsy, nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy, and loss of appetite and weight loss associated with HIV/AIDS. In addition, some evidence suggests modest benefits of cannabis or cannabinoids for chronic pain and multiple sclerosis symptoms. Cannabis isn’t helpful for glaucoma. Research on cannabis or cannabinoids for other conditions is in its early stages.
Now, re-read what I wrote. "Most of the medical claims are weak or dubious ... in some specific cases it seems to have a significant positive impact. But like much snake oil, the wide spread claims of benefit have not yet been borne out in the research."

This is EXACTLY what those other sources are saying, in slightly less colloquial language. Research has shown some benefits in certain specific cases. I did not say it was "worthless for treating cancer or epilepsy or inflammation." Those are your words. I said most of the medical claims have been shown to be dubious, but the research continues (as it should).

You are so intent on winning these little text jousts that you can't even take the time to read or understand.
Old 02-01-2021, 13:15   #799
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
............ Now, re-read what I wrote. "[I]Most of the medical claims are weak or dubious ...........
You actually said:
The science on cannabis suggests most of the medicinal claims are weak or dubious..
Simple question: Where does the science suggest this? You haven't shown me.
Some of the claims are that cannabis is useful for treating cancer, epilepsy and inflammation. Where does the science say that these claims are weak and dubious? "May be effective in treating", and "Researchers are studying", I think that anyone would agree, are a far cry from "Weak and dubious".
Old 02-01-2021, 13:23   #800

Quote:
You actually said:
The science on cannabis suggests most of the medicinal claims are weak or dubious..
Simple question: Where does the science suggest this? You haven't shown me.
Some of the claims are that cannabis is useful for treating cancer, epilepsy and inflammation. Where does the science say that these claims are weak and dubious? "May be effective in treating", and "Researchers are studying", I think that anyone would agree, are a far cry from "Weak and dubious".

Drugs containing cannabinoids may be helpful in treating certain rare forms of epilepsy, nausea and vomiting associated with cancer chemotherapy (*NOT CANCER ITSELF), and loss of appetite and weight loss associated with HIV/AIDS. In addition, some evidence suggests modest benefits of cannabis or cannabinoids for chronic pain and multiple sclerosis symptoms. Cannabis isn’t helpful for glaucoma. Research on cannabis or cannabinoids for other conditions is in its early stages.

I realize you can't seem to comprehend the above, so there's no point continuing this tangent to a tangent.
Old 02-01-2021, 13:33   #801
cruiser

Mike. Where does MAY BE HELPFUL translate to WEAK AND DUBIOUS? Where does MODEST BENEFITS translate to WEAK AND DUBIOUS? I suppose Lake Effect is going to come on next and say there was never a smear campaign against cannabis.
Old 02-01-2021, 13:48   #802

Quote:
Mike. Where does MAY BE HELPFUL translate to WEAK AND DUBIOUS? Where does MODEST BENEFITS translate to WEAK AND DUBIOUS? I suppose Lake Effect is going to come on next and say there was never a smear campaign against cannabis.
Weak = modest benefit

Dubious = the wide range of claims made that have not been shown to be effective, such as glaucoma and now inflammation. Research on cannabis or cannabinoids for other conditions is in its early stages.

The "may be helpful" refers specifically to very narrow applications. As usual you are cherry picking, or simply not understanding.
Old 02-01-2021, 13:55   #803

Dr. Fauci says he's 'sure' coronavirus vaccinations will be mandatory in institutions like hospitals and schools

I'm not sure [the vaccine is] going to be mandatory from a central government standpoint, like federal government mandates," he said. "But there are going to be individual institutions that I'm sure are going to mandate it."

Fauci pointed to his own experience with the National Institutes of Health, which mandates all employees and contractors receive yearly influenza and Hepatitis B vaccines.

"I have to get certified every year," he told Newsweek. "If I didn't, I couldn't see patients. So in that regard, I would not be surprised, as we get into the full scope of [COVID-19] vaccination, that some companies, some hospitals, some organizations might require [COVID-19] vaccination."

Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, also said schools might be among the institutions that mandate the vaccine. It is also "quite possible," he said, that the vaccine will be required for travel to and from the United States.

"Everything will be on the table for discussion" within the incoming Biden administration, he said.

The decision to standardize the vaccine as a travel requirement is not one that Fauci can make, he said. But he thinks it would be a smart move.

"Yellow fever's a good example. So we, in this country, don't require [people] to get a yellow fever vaccine when you go [to] some place. It's the place to which you are going that requires it," he said. "I went to Liberia during the ebola outbreak. I had to get my yellow fever vaccine or they would not let me into Liberia."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fauci-say...171148583.html
Old 02-01-2021, 14:09   #804
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I fully expect that countries will require visitors to provide proof of vaccination, better then currently where I have to pay €130 to get a PCR test before flying to some countries
Old 02-01-2021, 14:31   #805
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Weak = modest benefit

Dubious = the wide range of claims made that have not been shown to be effective, such as glaucoma and now inflammation. Research on cannabis or cannabinoids for other conditions is in its early stages.

The "may be helpful" refers specifically to very narrow applications. As usual you are cherry picking, or simply not understanding.
Words related to dubious:
questionable, skeptical, unclear, uncertain, equivocal, hesitant, improbable, problematic, shady, suspicious, arguable, fishy, unreliable, unsure, reluctant, debatable, unconvinced, ambiguous, doubtful, chancy.

Dubious has a negative connotation.
In science speak, modest benefit does translate to weak. I will give you that, however, your statement was that the science suggests that the claims are weak. Not the effect.
I am going to go do a bong hit. I suggest that you should load a bowl and chillax about it. Watch the video I posted called "Water Memory". Watch how they supposedly sent a pathogen over the internet.
Old 02-01-2021, 14:38   #806

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
There’s a difference between healthy ‘skepticism’ and knee-jerk ‘negativism’.
I'm not saying that you are (necessarily) a contrarian; but the possibility exists, that some of us are exhibiting such leanings.

The WEF has laid out aspirational objectives, but is just beginning to discuss potential methods and policies. So, of course, there's great imprecision.
Gord,

Of what advantage to me is it to trust the WEF?

The first thing they have done is to roll out a digital health passport. If they want trust then they should address clearly and precisely how that implementation is guarding our liberties and privacy.

Until the do, and I an NOT holding breath, I have good reason to remain skeptical.

BUT ALSO, am I to presume from your comments that you consider Mike ORiely a paranoid? Not to pick on Mike but trying to understand where your line is. Mike, by his actions, is taking many precautions, far more than most, more than me.
Old 02-01-2021, 14:46   #807
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
............ Watch the video I posted called "Water Memory". Watch how they supposedly sent a pathogen over the internet.
Whoa, I must have missed that one! Went back a couple of pages but didn't see it, can you repost the link - I could do with some good comedy this morning - TIA
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 02-01-2021, 14:50   #808
cruiser

This video has nothing to do with what we have been talking about. Interesting and controversial (like almost everything that I post) nonetheless.
Old 02-01-2021, 15:38   #809

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Dr. Fauci says he's 'sure' coronavirus vaccinations will be mandatory in institutions like hospitals and schools...
Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, also said schools might be among the institutions that mandate the vaccine. It is also "quite possible," he said, that the vaccine will be required for travel to and from the United States.
Thanks ... gets us back to something relevant to talk about. This is basically what I've been saying would happen all along. Institutions and some businesses will likely require it. And travelers will likely have to show proof of inoculation before being let into foreign lands -- just as we already do in some cases.

Those who choose not to be vaccinated can certainly do so, but they will have to live with the consequences of that choice. People who understand that rights come with responsibilities, and choices have consequences, should have no problem with this.
Old 02-01-2021, 16:15   #810

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

To use a sailing analogy, if you go sailing in a storm, you don't get to choose the storm's severity once you're in it. But, if you need rescue, you will put the lives of many at risk. It's the same with Covid. A percentage of people do become gravely ill and once hospitalized, mortality climbs. If you need mechanical ventilation, mortality approaches 70%. Also, patients may not be aware of their "comorbidity" until they get sick.

I, and my colleagues as part of the ICU team willingly and gladly care for these patients around the clock. When we are called upon,we put our own lives at risk to save the patients. The overwhelming majority of these patients' infections, and their subsequent deaths were avoidable, and therefore the risk to others preventable. On this forum, mariners who take risks are again and again chastised. Apply that same risk aversion to COVID-19 Please, wear masks, maintain social distance, avoid unnecessary travel, and get the vaccine. The life you save may be your own, or someone very close and dear to you.

With gratitude,
Ben

Tags
certification