Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2020, 01:41   #46

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Yachties Stuck In New Zealand - Facing Expulsion

Calm down people.

When it comes to harsh regulations the Kiwi's are pussies compared with out bunch in Victoria. Here is what you have to look forward under the new work permit system in Victoria:

Penalties of up to $19,826 (for individuals) and $99,132 (for businesses) will apply to employers who issue worker permits to employees who do not meet the requirements of the worker permit scheme or who otherwise breach the scheme requirements.

There will also be on-the-spot fines of up to $1,652 (for individuals) and up to $9,913 (for businesses) for anyone who breaches the scheme requirements. This includes employers and employees who do not carry their worker permit when travelling to and from work.

So now we have curfews and work permits, what's next?
Old 05-08-2020, 01:49   #47
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post

So now we have curfews and work permits, what's next?
Reduced CV19 case numbers presumably.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 05-08-2020, 01:57   #48

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I've heard from a usually reliable source that yachties already in NZ will shortly be able to apply for a 12 month visa extension, on top of the extension already granted to September.

That said, it will I understand be on a 'case by case' basis rather than a blanket extension, so be polite, keep a clean wake and don't do anything foolish to piss off the Kiwi Authorities.
Confirmation here:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...WYXkonSAepHHNg

I'm told they will also be providing 12 month extensions to the TIE document too, so settle down, have a few more beers and enjoy the great scenery, hospitality and covid-free envoronment that NZ has to offer; i wish i was with you.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:07   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Confirmation here:
[url]I'm told they will also be providing 12 month extensions to the TIE document too, so settle down, have a few more beers and enjoy the great scenery, hospitality and covid-free envoronment that NZ has to offer; i wish i was with you.
So if you own a cat and run a YT Vlog, you don't have to high tail it out of Dodge to find something interesting to do over the winter. How refreshing . Time to go skiing perhaps and yes soak up some of that scenery and hospitality

Pete
Old 05-08-2020, 07:32   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Wow, just wow, where did you get this information from? Would love to see the source.
Facts, don't need no stinking facts.

International students in Australia. Australia ranked third in top study abroad destinations with a total market value of over 5 billion AUD (3.47 billion USD) generated by international students in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ts%20in%202018.

Exports of Iron Ore & Concentrates in Australia averaged 2136.09 AUD Million from 1988 until 2020, reaching an all time high of 9463 AUD Million in June of 2019 and a record low of 108 AUD Million in December of 1988.

https://tradingeconomics.com/austral...er%20of%201988.

In 2018, Australia exported 341 tonnes of refined and unrefined gold bullion, with a value totalling US$14 billion. In 2018, demand for Australian gold was largely dominated by Hong Kong and China, which accounted for 37% and 31% of Australia's total gold exports respectively.

The Australian Gold Industry, Trade, And Markets - Singapore Bullion Market Association.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:20   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Montanan, I would agree with almost all you say, except: for many here, like ourselves, our boat is our home.

Repatriate to where? Our country of citizenship of course.

But wait, all our possessions are on the boat, we have no dirt dwelling to go back to. We are in the States now, so we have no problems, but I have to put myself in the position I might have been in had we set off for the South Pacific like we wanted to. We are one decision away from being in their shoes and it's probably not as simple as "just go home" for many.
Red, it actually is that simple. Collect one's essential belongings which are limited, repatriate to one's home country to an abode one considers home for the duration of the pandemic, which duration is indeterminate in length.

Visas are routinely extended under instances wherein departure is not possible, [war, natural disaster, pandemic] albeit typically with significant restrictions. But as soon as transit can be provided, exit is required.

The tourist visas for persons in country in NZ were extended for those that were unable to arrange for flights out. Now that flights have been available the expectation is for everyone to timely depart. Visas were NOT extended to those whose visa expiration date was after when flights were reasonably available, and they rightfully should not have been extended, nor would they be expected to be extended. There thence being no essential reason to extend the visas.

Only exceptional circumstances will avail an extension, determined on a case by case basis for the small number of tourists that were in country in mid-May, approximately 56,000. The vast majority of which have likely already departed.

Very few individuals are truly "Stuck in New Zealand" because there are very few places one can not make arrangements to fly back to their country of citizenship and / or permanent residency. The very few cruisers may not have the opportunity to make passage because of entry restrictions to places they may desire to depart to and there comes a time when those individuals need to recognize [or have recognized for them] that their voyage has effectively been ended and they need to make passage by alternate means, given that NZ is an island, that alternative means if by flight.

It is reality check time, recognize that the virus has determined that everyone should stay safely at home unless there are essential reasons to be away from home.

Essential: adjective 1. absolutely necessary; extremely important.

For those few, that can't board a flight, their visas will be extended and they can continue their stay in the host country.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Where the difficulty arose and still occurs was when there are no flights or land routes to repatriate by, causing considerable delays to be able to return, and / or where the country closed its borders from reentry and all entries.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:38   #52

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

What a perfect time for a non-stop RTW, or two
Old 05-08-2020, 08:57   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Yep, happy to have you and your dollars every cyclone (hurricane) season whilst the good times roll, one little monster under the bed and it's bugger off mate.
I seriously doubt international cruisers are a big enough financial impact on the country to gain any notice.

Then you figure the wealthy high dollar cruisers, likely already put the boat to bed and flew out a few months back...it's mostly the shoe string sailors and a few middle class sailors left.

I don't think the economic angle is likely to draw a lot of political will.

If you don't have the finances, to pay for a flight home and rent an apartment until things are sorted out, isn't really NZ's issue to pay for. At some point, expect to be asked to leave and it's your problem if you can't make the jump to a country with open borders.
Old 05-08-2020, 13:00   #54

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Confirmation here:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/...WYXkonSAepHHNg

I'm told they will also be providing 12 month extensions to the TIE document too, so settle down, have a few more beers and enjoy the great scenery, hospitality and covid-free environment that NZ has to offer; i wish i was with you.
Some will gain a visa extension. But only as visitors; they wont be allowed to work. So they'll need to prove and have evidence that they have funds sufficient for their extension, have good health, have a health care plan and are of good character. Visitors do not qualify for NZ's free health care.

It's not a blanket tick; there are of course not insubstantial fees, and it is, for most, a great deal of time and irritation dealing with NZ Immigration.

The visa extensions are on a case by case basis. There's nothing automatic. The Govt has simply changed the rules to allow a longer extension.

And as Bob says above, the yachties will also need to gain an extension to their TIE - Temporary Import Entry for their yacht they were granted when they first cleared in to the country. A TIF is effectively an exemption to paying import duties and taxes based on a promise that the vessel will not remain in NZ.
Old 05-08-2020, 13:32   #55

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

we are in the same situation - although it is in the US - we arrived in Hawaii last december and were granted a 1 year visa and 1 year cruising license. Both expire on december 1 thia year.

Canada has closed and so has mexico so we are unable to leave the country with our boat. We could fly back to denmark but would be unable to get into the US as there is a travel ban on Schengen/europeans

We're applying for a visa extension - we'll see. The cruising license can be extended

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 05-08-2020, 13:53   #56

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Facts, don't need no stinking facts.

International students in Australia. Australia ranked third in top study abroad destinations with a total market value of over 5 billion AUD (3.47 billion USD) generated by international students in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...ts%20in%202018.

Exports of Iron Ore & Concentrates in Australia averaged 2136.09 AUD Million from 1988 until 2020, reaching an all time high of 9463 AUD Million in June of 2019 and a record low of 108 AUD Million in December of 1988.

https://tradingeconomics.com/austral...er%20of%201988.
https://tradingeconomics.com/austral...rts-of-iron-or
In 2018, Australia exported 341 tonnes of refined and unrefined gold bullion, with a value totalling US$14 billion. In 2018, demand for Australian gold was largely dominated by Hong Kong and China, which accounted for 37% and 31% of Australia's total gold exports respectively.

The Australian Gold Industry, Trade, And Markets - Singapore Bullion Market Association.
Small point of order.... those iron ore figures are the value of exports per month.. some may have missed that..
Old 05-08-2020, 14:00   #57

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I seriously doubt international cruisers are a big enough financial impact on the country to gain any notice.

Then you figure the wealthy high dollar cruisers, likely already put the boat to bed and flew out a few months back...it's mostly the shoe string sailors and a few middle class sailors left.

I don't think the economic angle is likely to draw a lot of political will.

If you don't have the finances, to pay for a flight home and rent an apartment until things are sorted out, isn't really NZ's issue to pay for. At some point, expect to be asked to leave and it's your problem if you can't make the jump to a country with open borders.
The economic angle had a lot to do with the Cat 1 imposition on departing foreign yachts being withdrawn a few many years ago... that and the fact that it was illegal...

And the wealthy high end cruisers are still stuck in FP along with all the poor people... can't let one in without the other...
Old 05-08-2020, 16:32   #58

Update

Immigration New Zealand announced on Wednesday that yacht crews already here on a visitor visa can now apply to stay for up to a year.

"Yacht crew who are not New Zealand citizens or permanent residents are usually granted visitor visas. As long as an individual holds a current visa and is in New Zealand, they can apply for another visitor visa and if granted, will allow a stay of up to 12 months," Immigration New Zealand said in a statement.

"If a crew member needs to stay longer they can apply for further visas."

https://i.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/12...migration-says
Old 05-08-2020, 17:06   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
we are in the same situation - although it is in the US - we arrived in Hawaii last december and were granted a 1 year visa and 1 year cruising license. Both expire on december 1 thia year.

Canada has closed and so has mexico so we are unable to leave the country with our boat. We could fly back to denmark but would be unable to get into the US as there is a travel ban on Schengen/europeans

We're applying for a visa extension - we'll see. The cruising license can be extended

First I’ve heard of Mexico being closed, where’d you here that? BTW, I’m in Mexico.
Old 05-08-2020, 23:13   #60

Boat: Outremer 55L

So, the problem is solved, or at least postponed, to next cruising season for those cruisers who are here already. These are the ones who didn’t leave for Fiji when it opened for cruisers.

What about for cruisers in the South Pacific? And for the humanitarian/compassionate grounds does it matter whether you are in the South Pacific having come from Panama or N America prior to Covid-19, or left Australia or NZ to visit Fiji after Covid-19?

AFAIK only Fiji is open for visitors and it does have some cyclone facilities (best known are Vuda Pt with both pits on shore and a lagoon that they close off, and Musket Cove with its lagoon. I’m not sure about Suva and Savusavu). However I bet those will all be full already.

That leaves only Queensland allowing entry on humanitarian/compassionate grounds for non-citizens/non-residents.

Will NZ set up a similar programme? Doesn’t seem likely with this government and the upcoming election, but who knows? The OCC and the NZ Marine Association are both making the case to the Immigration department.

Tags
New Zealand, yacht