Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2020, 13:40   #16

Re: 2 captains needed to charter "big" boats in Croatia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
Whether it is mandated by harbour authority or not makes little difference. The charter company is entitled to stipulate anything provided it meets the legal minimum. They after all have a duty of care to the boat owner who has forked out 1,000,000 € to buy the boat. Personally, I would want the equivalent of RYA Yachtmaster plus 1 ICC for a cat that size.

Yah

It’s not uncommon with “ high class bareboat charters “. To require a guide, captain or owners representative

In Croatia the charter scene has become intense ... thousands of boats , hundreds of Yahooos

It’d possible that authorities have become tired of bad behavior or incorrect port use
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:40   #17

Re: 2 captains needed to charter "big" boats in Croatia?

Problem is, even 2 fresh captains are worse than two zero captains (licence) with lets say 1000 miles each on their own. I can get day skipper in two weeks, so, about 4-500 miles, zero experience on my own. Find one other just like me and we're "safe"? Yeah, right.
New charterer? Get out, test him/her and if satisfied give the boat. Not satisfied, either you get rent-a-captain or you walk.
Known customer? You should know him/her well enough to decide whether to give the boat or not.
Just because someone have a piece of paper saying it's competent does not mean so.
admikar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, captain, charter, Croatia