Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2012, 21:20   #1

40 ft boat/yacht and UK rivers

Hi there. I've been searching for info with no luck but I bet someone on here is going to know the answer. So, I know many of the canals in the UK are for ''canal'' boats - thin and flat on the bottom.

My question is specifically what the closest point to Huddersfield would be in my 40 ft seagoing vessel? Would it be Hull in the east? Or can I do better than that? Or would somewhere on the east be better?

I will need to commute, from wherever the boat is, to Huddersfield for about 9 months. My other option is to forget the boat ( lol).

I simply don't know enough about England I guess.
hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 00:12   #2

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33
Re: 40 ft boat/yacht and UK rivers

The canals won't be able to take a 40ft sea going boat - bridges, tunnels, locks and general water depths would all be against you. The nearest you can get to Huddersfield in a seagoing boat would - I think - be Manchester. I believe there is a marina in either Manchester or Salford which is accessible via the Manchester Ship Canal which was designed for ships. There are also mud berths in the river Mersey around Warrington and possibly higher up. From Manchester it is a relatively easy commute to Huddersfield either by train or car and it is shorter than the east coast alternative of Hull.
Old 18-11-2012, 00:27   #3

Boat: Dudley Dix Hout Bay 33

I've just googled things and I don't believe Manchester has a marina for sailboats after all. In that case my own choice would be Liverpool which definitely does have marinas and is a slightly easier commute to Huddersfield than Hull. Also Liverpool is (IMO) a heck of a lot better place to be based than Hull.
Old 18-11-2012, 01:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

Stick with the west coast of the UK - much better for sailing and cruising and closer to the rest of the world!

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 01:10   #5

Hi Steve T, thanks so much for your advice. I too was googling and google mapping but not coming up with anything. I think I might just have to investigate Hull and Liverpool and make a decision, but I'll remember that you advised Liverpool
Thanks again.
Old 18-11-2012, 01:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsailing View Post
Stick with the west coast of the UK - much better for sailing and cruising and closer to the rest of the world!
Hi Ed...well now that is something to think about too. It would be nicer to have more opportunities in that regard. Thanks
Old 18-11-2012, 01:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Preston Marina would be a good alternative to Liverpool and easier to get to or if something cheap is required then Douglas Boatyard is muddy but cheapish.

Preston Marina - Pontoon berthing and mooring, boatyard, chandlery.

Douglas Boatyard - Boat Marina Moorings and Boat Repairs in Lancashire and the North West

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 01:30   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Hana what sort of boat is it and does the mast come down? once in the Leeds and Liverpool canal with any masts down you could then move it much closer as the L&L is a wide beam canal with a reasonable depth. However, it will freeze over in the winter, so too late this year. Alternatively just moving it inland a few miles will open up the cheaper mooring options.

Were is the boat now?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 02:12   #9

Boat: Moody 36 (1981)

Hi Hana,
Visit my harbour.com is a good website for information on UK harbours / marinas
Hope this is of help

kevin
Searanger50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 02:56   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

You can take a yacht up to Salford (t'other side of the canal to Manchester), but there is some expense in transiting the Ship Canal, and I would not be happy leaving an unattended boat in Salford (or anything unattended in Salford).
Not sure who you would contact to arrange a mooring, but I have seen boats up at Salford Quays.
Liverpool Marina I think would be easiest I think, reasonable road and rail access to Huddersfield.
You can also push up on up the Mersey (over two tides) to Fiddlers Ferry near Warrington. Fidlers Ferry Boat Yard.

I think its pretty cheap, but there are security risks, and there have been occasions in the past when the lock gates collapsed, leaving boats sitting in the mud.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 04:39   #11

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Talking Re: 40 ft boat/yacht and UK rivers

Have you perhaps thought of Grimsby Marina. It is very close to the Humber bridge. In fact you could go up the Humber there is another Marina up on the port side.

Fair Winds

Peter
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 04:55   #12

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Those suggesting the west coast have obviously not spent the winter driving the M62 from west to east. Conditions on that motorway are atrocious on a good proportion of days in the winter.

Stick to your original plan around Hull. You'll still have a lot of bad days getting to Huddersfield but at least you won't be going over the highest part of the Pennines.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 22:06   #13

Hi all. Thank you all very much for your various suggestions. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I may even just skip the idea and hire a canal boat while I'm there I will check out your suggestions though.

Jeannius, I am planning to use public transport... i.e train. A long way from any of the mooring spots from what I can tell.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:23   #14
djs

Hana
I'm in Goole, further up the Humber /Ouse than Hull and technically on the inland waterways in a small marina on the edge of the port. I know that there is currently no space in the marina i am in but there is another, (search for Goole Boathouse)
Rail commuting to Hudderfield from Goole is about 2hrs so not good for regular work. From Hull the travel time is less as there are faster trains, just had a look and some trains are 1hr 20 mins.
Renting canal boats in the UK is expensive as they are mostly short term, one or two week hires for people on holiday.
If you were to base yourself in Hull, day and weekend sailing would be possible although as others have suggested there are not many places to go for day trips.
I have only once been into Hull Marina to wait for Fog to clear before heading up to Goole. I found the Marina friendly, well run and i think it may be your best bet for a short term liveaboard.

All the best
Dave
djs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:40   #15
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I have only once been into Hull Marina to wait for Fog to clear before heading up to Goole. I found the Marina friendly, well run and i think it may be your best bet for a short term liveaboard.
I was just about to say, its a nice place, Ive been in it too..

Dave