Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2012, 09:13   #151
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: 8 Years in the Med ??

"LMAO... Sounds like the good ole US of A... "
No one ever mistook our Federal Republic for rational. But at least we do issue cruising yachts a full one-year cruising permit, if they are allowed in. One year, not 90 days. And renewable year after year, if you don't offend anyone and don't mind skipping out for two weeks in between.

As to visas for the foreigners themselves...that's a whole other basket of eels, isn't it?

Unless you count the late USSR, there weren't many parts of "Europe" where you could travel two thousand miles (excuse me, 3333 kilometers) without having to convert your currency or pass through customs. But it WAS a lot like home, Yankee Greenbacks were accepted everywhere everytime. And somehow, US two dollar bills, something most natives never see in the US, piled up at the banks in Bulgaria and other odd places.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 09:22   #152
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 8 Years in the Med ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"LMAO... Sounds like the good ole US of A... "
No one ever mistook our Federal Republic for rational. But at least we do issue cruising yachts a full one-year cruising permit, if they are allowed in. One year, not 90 days. And renewable year after year, if you don't offend anyone and don't mind skipping out for two weeks in between..
Actually I think its the crew that only has 90 days... the boat has 18mths if memory serves me well...
Being a Brit I don't know if theres a fee for the 18mths... never asked..
GBN... input required mate..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 11:53   #153
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

I suppose not having to lose percents every time you change monopoly money at the border is some compensation, but can't see how anyplace larger than the Grand Duchy of Fenwick would have imagined that 90 days was a suitable number.
First the US was once a new fangled concept.

secondly 90 days, Well obviously the US is equivalent to the Grand Duchy then

The EU is in effect a federalised state and certainly by 2016 the Eurozone definitely will be, though it takes Americans some time to accept this.

Dave
Old 01-01-2013, 07:47   #154
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
1. You could more clearly distinguish information about passport control from information about customs.
2. You count (but do not enumerate) 22 EU countries in the Schengen Area and UK, Ireland, plus five other EU countries not in the Schengen Area. That adds up to 29, but there are only 27 EU member states (will be 28 from 1 July 2013).
Yes, I agree the need to separate the immigration and customs elements more clearly. Work in progress . . .

Which states in which group? Ooops. I've re-written that to be more clear.

Many thanks.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:17   #155

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
First the US was once a new fangled concept.

secondly 90 days, Well obviously the US is equivalent to the Grand Duchy then

The EU is in effect a federalised state and certainly by 2016 the Eurozone definitely will be, though it takes Americans some time to accept this.

Dave
So we could then assume that when countries like Greece need IMF assistance it will no longer be available since Greece will no longer be a country. Because that would be like giving IMF assistance to the state of California. That is really the reason so many Americans have difficulty understanding the concept of the EU. Either it consists of separate countries like Greece, Italy, France, etc.; or it is only ONE country. Can't be both.

BTW, we had lunch last week in Houston, Texas, with a sailor from the UK. He said obtaining cruising permit and visa was not an issue. He has been in the USA for several years, with 2 trips to the Bahamas.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:14   #156
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe

So we could then assume that when countries like Greece need IMF assistance it will no longer be available since Greece will no longer be a country. Because that would be like giving IMF assistance to the state of California. That is really the reason so many Americans have difficulty understanding the concept of the EU. Either it consists of separate countries like Greece, Italy, France, etc.; or it is only ONE country. Can't be both.

BTW, we had lunch last week in Houston, Texas, with a sailor from the UK. He said obtaining cruising permit and visa was not an issue. He has been in the USA for several years, with 2 trips to the Bahamas.

Judy
The IMF is in effect acting through the European stability mechanism. In practice once we " convince" the Germans to have a conventional paper currency, then each country doesn't need the IMF. Of course then collectively the Eurozone could need the IMF. Just like the US could collectively need it.

In the US you have a lender of last resort. In the Eurozone the EcB is not, But we are moving inexorably to that in the next two years in the Eurozone ( and I use the term as opposed to the EU ). Under current rules the Euro has become the equivalent of a pseudo gold standard , ie we can't create more of it, unlike you can in the US. Hence the need for loans from outside the Eurozone in the form of IMF as well as complex internal euro loans. When the Euro was created , the participants were not prepared to federalise debt , and create a lender of last resort. After the current process is complete the Eurozone and the US will look very similar from a fiscal perspective.

so right now, it is both , its a collection of countries with partial fiscal federalisation, soon it will be different.

Getting a US visa isn't particularly difficult. But the US imposes far more stringent reporting and check in rules for foreign sailors. It's understandable , sailing is not a common undertaking in the uS. , Europe has been dealing with sailors for millennium.

Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 05:19   #157

Good Morning,

We are thinking of an extended European tour and I find this whole topic fascinating. I understand that we are probably making much ado about nothing, but I am an American attorney and am really into trying to keep it strictly legal as it were.

We want to go a high latitude route, starting in Europe in Iceland, then a season in the North Sea/Scandinavian area, winter in UK (boat only we'd fly home), then in the spring some more Southern UK Northern France, take the mast down and take the Rhine-Main-Danube canal route to the Black Sea, winter again in Turkey, then the next summer westward through the Med then head back to the states.

We definitely think it is possible to do this within the requirements (I am aware of the CEVNI requirements as well), and it is kind of a fun game trying to fit the plan to meet the rules.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:25   #158
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
We definitely think it is possible to do this within the requirements (I am aware of the CEVNI requirements as well), and it is kind of a fun game trying to fit the plan to meet the rules.

youll need an ICC with the CEVNI extension.

Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 06:23   #159

Quote:
youll need an ICC with the CEVNI extension.

Dave
Thank you, I am aware, I found some UK sailing schools that advertise programs for Americans to get them. I was posting more about the Schengen and VAT aspects of the planning.

Doing it in a few phases with furloughs in the non-Schengen countries we should make out fine.

edit: I have been looking recently at a Eurorail pass for my son (who is graduating college this year) and noticed UK wasn't included in the pass, is that because of Schengen too?
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34   #160
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
Thank you, I am aware, I found some UK sailing schools that advertise programs for Americans to get them. I was posting more about the Schengen and VAT aspects of the planning.

Doing it in a few phases with furloughs in the non-Schengen countries we should make out fine.

edit: I have been looking recently at a Eurorail pass for my son (who is graduating college this year) and noticed UK wasn't included in the pass, is that because of Schengen too?
The Uk rail network has never been a member of the eurail scheme.
Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 06:38   #161
Nearly an old salt

Re: 8 Years in the Med?

Quote:
ICCs to US nationals can be now issued by approved schools in the UK and Ireland. I also believe that IYT based in Florida is offering ICCs in the US.

SOunds like a great adventure and you should have little trouble with Schengen and/or VAT ( well no trouble with VAT at all) .

Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04   #162

Quote:
ICCs to US nationals can be now issued by approved schools in the UK and Ireland. I also believe that IYT based in Florida is offering ICCs in the US.

SOunds like a great adventure and you should have little trouble with Schengen and/or VAT ( well no trouble with VAT at all) .

Dave
Don't tell my wife they are available in the US, I am looking forward to the UK sailing instruction vacation!

My VAT concerns creep in if we end up finding this pace too rushed and want to home base out of UK for a while. Then all of the resident Visas and tax concerns become a bigger issue.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:07   #163
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Don't tell my wife they are available in the US, I am looking forward to the UK sailing instruction vacation!

My VAT concerns creep in if we end up finding this pace too rushed and want to home base out of UK for a while. Then all of the resident Visas and tax concerns become a bigger issue.
Visas yes, but you can always bond the boat in the UK and subject to agreement with UK customs, leave it there for some considerable time.

Staying in the UK and becoming a resident etc screws all that up of course.

Spain is a good country for long term storage, just don't become a resident , france is quite good too in my experience. The Uk is hardly for the language though

Dave
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33   #164

Quote:
We want to go a high latitude route, starting in Europe in Iceland, then a season in the North Sea/Scandinavian area, winter in UK (boat only we'd fly home), then in the spring some more Southern UK Northern France, take the mast down and take the Rhine-Main-Danube canal route to the Black Sea, winter again in Turkey, then the next summer westward through the Med then head back to the states.
I'm not sure how you would get an exit stamp from Hungary when you pass into Croatia and then Serbia along the Danube. I guess there is probably a way to get one but, if not, a Croatian or Serbian stamp will prove you were not in the Schengen Area as of the date of your next stamp.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:10   #165

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
I think the Eurorail scheme pre-date the Schengen agreement. I was a bit surprised that the UK is excluded from the Eurorail pass while being included in the Interrail pass available to European citizens. There's a separate Britrail scheme where you can buy a pass for the UK.

I think it's a nice trip you're planning. If you plan on writing a diary/blog somewhere on the net, then please share the address. If you need any Danish local knowledge or language skills feel free to send me a PM through this board, I might be able to help.
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, retirement