Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2005, 08:46   #1

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
A seminar on cruising Europe...

Thought I'd mention that a few of us who are currently cruising in Europe are going to offer both a seminar and also a Round Table (whatever that is...) with the title Introduction to Cruising Europe at this Fall's SSCA Gam. (For more info, see www.ssca.org). The topic is way broader/deeper than the few hours we have to tackle it, so our goals are to provide an overview of what it takes to arrive there with a North American boat that's ready for the Euro infrastructure, and what it's like as a cruising ground.

Jack Tyler
WHOOSH, currently lying stripped and forlorn looking on the hard outside Lisbon
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2005, 19:05   #2

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Jack

Which GAM?
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 06:37   #3

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Jon, sorry for the obscure term. The SSCA (www.ssca.org) has held an annual (and also many regional) "gams" or get-togethers for decades now. The intent is to bring together folks interested in and also currently involved in cruising, almost exclusively but not entirely on sailboats. The annual Gam is held in Melbourne and has matured into quite an affair. For a very low cost, one can attend multiple days of seminars given by quite experienced cruising sailors and some vendors (several notches above the 'seminars' you often find at boat shows), a vendor exhibit hall, the best HF radio/HF email seminars offered anywhere to my knowledge (given by the author of Sailmail & Airmail, the system manager of Winlink, the software developers, etc.) and, perhaps most importantly, a lot of time to socialize with and learn from some very experienced folks. Very low key, very informal, good fun and, as I mentioned, great value. There's an anchorage & dinghy dock just across the street from the Melbourne Convention Center if you choose to come by boat vs. car.

Jack
Old 21-09-2005, 07:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
SAILMAIL presentation - So Dr. John (Gregory) will be speaking at the GAM?
Say hello from Gord May (formerly Southbound Marine, in Ft. Lauderdale)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2005, 09:19   #5

Boat: Outbound 44
Jack,

Getting down to Florida for the GAM will be difficult for me. However, if you ever think of publishing your thoughts/presentation on travel through Europe, I for one would be most interested in getting a copy. Your complete and studied postings on this and other bulletins boards are appreciated.
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2005, 03:36   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cruising European Waters - Update May 2005 ~ Cruising Club of America
http://www.cruisingclub.org/communic...RS-Ver5.01.pdf

Lots of good information, advice, & links on European cruising.

Old 22-09-2005, 06:36   #7

Bill, thanks for the kind words. And Gord's referral is a good one that you and others should consider: Walt Paul, a fellow CCA Member, has spent a lot of time putting together (and more remarkably, keeping current...) info on GMDSS compliant SSB use and European cruising info. However, Walt's is the 'from 10,000' MSL' view and what I find missing are the nitty gritty. E.g. Walt will explain that LPG connectors vary all over Europe, that decanting is one solution, and that adapters should be considered if using North American or other non-European tanks in the Euro environment. So...which adapters? How do you instruct the local LPG house to make up the decanting pigtail? Etc. That's why I started publishing articles at www.svsarah.com (under the WHOOSH banner) and why we thought a seminar might prove helpful to people.

But don't overlook Walt's package of info; it's excellent and IMO completely accurate.

Gord, I don't think John Gregory has done a Gam presentation in a few years now. There was some theoretical & practical disagreements between he and some of the other presenters, as I recall. But I will surely look for him and mention you to him, if I's successful.

Jack
Old 23-09-2005, 02:07   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jack:
Please post details of the SSCA “GAM” - dates, presentation schedule, location, cost etc ...
Please educate me on how 'from 10,000' MSL' describe Walt’s view ... I’m total ignorant of VFR flight rules etc.
I recommend Jack’s excellent website, with lots of good information (specific to Europe, but generally useful & interesting): www.svsarah.com (“Whoosh”)
I couldn’t get the link to “Using European Power On Board” to work.
Hmmmm ... Dr. John marching to his own drumbeat ... who’d of thunk?
Regards, and thanks for all you contribute,
Gord

Old 23-09-2005, 04:46   #9

2005 SSCA Annual Gam

This event has been going on for several decades; it's main goal is to bring together cruising sailors of all experience levels and provide for lots of information sharing as well as socializing. It's held at the Eau Gallie Community Center (actually, in Melbourne, Florida) November 11, 12 & 13 this year. An anchorage off Conchy Joe's and a dinghy landing at CJ's pier make this accessible by water as well as car.

Registration fee is a measly $15 for members ($20 after 10/26); fees are bumped up $5 for non-members. What this includes is attendance at many seminars (the caliber of these presentations is generally excellent), a vendor's exhibit hall for several days, flea market, ham exams, hands-on HF/SSB/Winlink tutorials, and access to several socializing events which cost extra and are optional.

The SSCA office is short-handed right now and the activity level for the Gam is ramped up, big time. Consequently, rather than going there (via phone or email) to get further Q's answered, you might consider posting them on the SSCA Discussion Board for an answer - http://ssca.org/sscabb/index.php

Hope this helps a few of you to attend; it's a rather unique and quite valuable event.

Gord, what I meant re: Walt's write-up is that, given its brevity, much of his write-up identies issues and speaks to generic options and solutions...but doesn't/can't go into the detail. You're the 2nd person who has mentioned that the link to the Euro AC Power article is broken...but when I go there, it works for me. Let me know if that persists and I'll ask John Stevenson to look into it. Thanks!

Jack
jack_patricia at yahoo.com
Old 23-09-2005, 05:52   #10

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Link Broken

Hi Jack,

I too get a "page cannot be found" error for the URL http://www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/Using%...On%20Board.htm

You might still see it because it might still be stored in the local cache on your computer. Try "forcing" your browser to refresh the page (e.g. making it go back to the server to get it).

Regards,

Tim
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2005, 07:08   #11

Tim, thanks for that. I'm finding the link works for me, even with a F5 refresh...but I've asked John to look into it, so hopefully it will work shortly.

Jack
Old 23-09-2005, 08:32   #12

John's reply is below. Not bad, hey? Problem reported, a continent away the problem is fixed, the fix reported...all inside of 20 mins!

"Jack: Found the link problem. It was in the opening Whoosh page, not the link in the navigation frame. I suspect a lot of people just have the opening page linked and never see the navigation frame. I think it should be fixed by the time you get this."

Jack
Old 23-09-2005, 08:57   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

WOW !!!
You guys are great.