Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2023, 07:34   #1

Aeolian wind

Hello All

Considering a charter in Sicily in October but it looks like there is no wind in that area. From what I can see it looks like the wind ranges from 6 - 8 knots throughout the year.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or if there is enough wind to sail on that time of year.

Many thanks
Stephen
sburt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:50   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Aeolian wind

Look at the news on past Middle Sea Races. The wind range is from 0 to 50.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:10   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Aeolian wind

It's the Med.. its always too little or too much..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 23:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Med winds are the most unpredictable ones, it can be from any direction and any direction any time of the year.. If yr primary goal is to sail, Meltemi in Greek and Turkish coast are much more reliable..
Cheers
Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 00:52   #5

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

I like to add to the above mentioned, that Meltemi and its Greek version start to blow in mid summer and can, at times blow pretty fierce.

I also found this overview:
https://www.yachting.com/en-gb/news/...erranean-winds
Old 19-02-2023, 10:51   #6

Here is a good explanation of Meltemi:
https://www.sailingissues.com/meltemi.html

Also find helpful wind statistics and roses at the same website:
https://www.sailingissues.com/climate.html
https://www.sailingissues.com/windroses.html

Sometime it helps to start very early in the morning, as meltemi often tends to peak its force in the afternoons. Wave hight and persistent swell can become challenging.

One thing I like to add: I have experienced several occasions with Meltemi at 8 Bft and one with 9 Bft in the Cyclades around Naxos. If you are hit by such meltemi events, you need a hide away with good protection and perhaps can‘t sail for several days in a row. Enough spare time should be in the cruising plan, if you go in July or following months. In such strong and persistent events all ships are staying in bays and harbours protected to the north for several days and not moving. Wind in the lee of mountainous islands gets extremely gusty. Several ships were breaking anchor from the ground. On skipper on anchor with 70 m chain plus 20 m rope was struggling a whole night. But his anchor was the only one holding.
jo_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 11:43   #7

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo_sail View Post
Here is a good explanation of Meltemi:
https://www.sailingissues.com/meltemi.html

Also find helpful wind statistics and roses at the same website:
https://www.sailingissues.com/climate.html
https://www.sailingissues.com/windroses.html

Sometime it helps to start very early in the morning, as meltemi often tends to peak its force in the afternoons. Wave hight and persistent swell can become challenging.

One thing I like to add: I have experienced several occasions with Meltemi at 8 Bft and one with 9 Bft in the Cyclades around Naxos. If you are hit by such meltemi events, you need a hide away with good protection and perhaps can‘t sail for several days in a row. Enough spare time should be in the cruising plan, if you go in July or following months. In such strong and persistent events all ships are staying in bays and harbours protected to the north for several days and not moving. Wind in the lee of mountainous islands gets extremely gusty. Several ships were breaking anchor from the ground. On skipper on anchor with 70 m chain plus 20 m rope was struggling a whole night. But his anchor was the only one holding.
A reasonably good hideout is the North West side on the inside of Noussa Bay on Paros.

Lots of wind, but no waves.
Enough space to react if you break lose.
Old 19-02-2023, 13:49   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburt10 View Post
Hello All

Considering a charter in Sicily in October but it looks like there is no wind in that area. From what I can see it looks like the wind ranges from 6 - 8 knots throughout the year.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or if there is enough wind to sail on that time of year.

Many thanks
Stephen
Wind strength in Sicily can be very erratic at all times of the year. No months average winds of only 6-8 knots. By October winds have generally started to strengthen before the onset of winter, and rainfall can sometimes be very heavy with extreme flooding. It is not a reliable time for chartering.

My most memorable storm at anchor was near Messina in October 2007. Having just started cruising full time, we were new to the boat and the anchoring gear the boat had come with was only average and we had not yet upgraded. Despite only a Force 5 forecast, a NW blew up to 60+ knots all that night. It was a nasty experience.

PS The Meltemi occurs in the Aegean, not near Sicily and is generally over by mid September anyway. Although the prevailing wind is W to N in Sicily, the southerly Sirocco also comes into play. It would cover our boat with not only red dust from the Sahara, but ash from Mt Etna!

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind