Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 08:13   #16

Boat: Southern Cross 35' Cutter - FrPol & H-boat 26' - Sweden
Send a message via Skype™ to svrodeorm
Lots of good points and advice here already. I definetely second the posts regarding the anchor(s).

There are (again read Reed's) a few places to anchor in northern Brittany, and due to STRONG tides, the even better visitor's bouys. Perros-Guirec and Primel-Truegastel (sp?) among thos we used while doing the same trip last summer this time. We went non-stop from Falsterbo in s. sweden to Portsmouth/Isle of White but after that we really took our time and day.sailed along the cost. It's obviously very important to time the tides corectly esp. in the Channel and in S. Brittany too. If you'll choose the Chenal du Four, inside Isle Ouessant I strongly recommend that you discuss the timing with someone with local knowledge. Nice trip in the right conditions.

In Galicia there are plenty of room to anchor in the Rias, sometimes inside the breakwaters too, but it's all in Reed's.

Along the Portuguesse west coast, it's not that many places to drop the hook, mainly Porto/Leixoes, Cascais and Silves, once past Cabo San Vicente and on the Algarve there are a few, including some where you can winter on the hook, no charge.

Check our blog sailblogs.com/member/rodeorm and go back to June/July last year to see our route with positions and comments.

Drop me a PM once you arrive to Algarve, if we are still around we can have a glass together.
Old 08-07-2010, 13:55   #17

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Kimmo,
Going from Cherbourg to Bréhat, non-stop through the Channel Islands (e.g. between Herm and Sark), is only about 85 NM. If the departure is timed right with regard to the tidal stream between cap de la Hague and Jersey/Guernsey, it can be done in one day.

I would not recommend passing east of Jersey except in very good weather, because the area is very shallow, strewn with rocks and without any shelter at low tide.

Regarding Chenal du Four (inshore of Ouessant and Molène) and Raz de Sein (inshore of Île de Sein), you *just* have to avoid the moments when the tidal stream runs against the swell. I have seen the height of the swell multiplied by 4 just in Raz de Sein. Sometimes, it's plainly impassable. Yachtsmen here compare Raz de Sein to a washing machine .

The tidal streams are much weaker in South Brittany, except in gulf of Morbihan, where they reach 8 kts in one area.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 00:40   #18

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I am not suggesting you break any laws but the last time we were on a pontoon in St Peters Port, Guernsey, and chatted to a Dutch chap moored alongside us, he seemed to break out into little coughing fits every so often.
When we met him later on the French mainland the truth came out - he and his wife had their small dog with them. Whenever it barked from below, he the skipper went into these coughing fits to try and disguise the dog noise. Maybe I am dumb but it worked for me!
I think they knew they could not land him so simply used the pontoon just in the harbour and did not declare the dog.
Took the little chappie for a walk or two after dark along the pontoon and presumably washed his jobbies away afterwards, and when the bad weather cleared simply sailed onward for France.
Might be worth checking to see if you can keep the dog on board and step ashore yourselves................
Enjoy
JOHN
Old 09-07-2010, 01:43   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
I am not suggesting you break any laws but the last time we were on a pontoon in St Peters Port, Guernsey, and chatted to a Dutch chap moored alongside us, he seemed to break out into little coughing fits every so often.
When we met him later on the French mainland the truth came out - he and his wife had their small dog with them. Whenever it barked from below, he the skipper went into these coughing fits to try and disguise the dog noise. Maybe I am dumb but it worked for me!
I think they knew they could not land him so simply used the pontoon just in the harbour and did not declare the dog.
Took the little chappie for a walk or two after dark along the pontoon and presumably washed his jobbies away afterwards, and when the bad weather cleared simply sailed onward for France.
Might be worth checking to see if you can keep the dog on board and step ashore yourselves................ Enjoy JOHN
We take our pooch to Guernsey each year, but then we are travelling from the UK so allowed to, providing you inform customs on arrival. If we wer to visit Fracne then we would have real problems bringing him back which can only be done via importing him on a commerical ferry. You are not allowed to sail from Eruope to the UK with an animal on board.

In Guernsey they visit your boat on arrival and you fill in a form plus lots of questions about were you came from. From UK or other channel islands is fine, but France or Europe is an absolute no no, Jersey is the same. Your not allowed into the inner marina in St Peter Port with an animal on board so have to stay on the outer pontoons, but can use the dinghy to take the dog ashore. Actually the outer pontoons whilst requiring a dinghy to go ashore are much nicers with lots going on around and have a nice cooling breeze during the day.

It's probably not worth the risk, instead just sail through and on to the Brittainy coast, which is superb

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:51   #20

Boat: 33ft sloop
Apart from the seaports, there is very little where you can anchor out at sea.

Belgium : none.
For France, you have already been replied.
Spain: there is an enormous swell outside so you have to watch very carefully what you are doing. La Coruña and Vigo might offer some possibilities.
Portugal I wouldn't know although we sailed often along the coast on our way to the Med.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring