Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 00:08   #1

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Beaufort 10 Next 3 Days

Hi every one and to those in the Greek Islands I hope you all have battened down the hatch's and for those still on the water are in a safe place.

the Greek Islands and surrounding Aegean sea are expecting f10 winds over next 3 to 4 days from the NE it is currently blowing 38 knts here in naxos port

I have been in port since 9.00 am It has now taken the blue star ferry 3 goes to dock on one occasion alone the vessel has done a 360 after waiting 1hr I have just now been able to get on board heading to athens, and 10 mins into trip captain has announced we may only go as far as Paros in ten yrs i have never known these ferrys to stop once they have set sail because of the weather but are not suppose to sail in f9 we Are now just off the entrance to Naussou and i havent seen seas like this in 5 yrs wind hitting now 47 knts here and its a constant blow too
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: Beaufort 10 next 3 days

we're on our way from Rhodes to Crete, the weather all looks as if it will remain above us, we'll take advantage of the winds at the edge to push us along nicely.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44   #3

well take care please because the weather forecast for crete is not looking too good for crete as well we have just left paros over 1 1/2 late over 300 people on board ferry and i think 295 are sea sick at moment see also this link www.naxos-new.gr/?aid=36153
Old 03-12-2013, 01:55   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
well take care please because the weather forecast for crete is not looking too good for crete as well we have just left paros over 1 1/2 late over 300 people on board ferry and i think 295 are sea sick at moment see also this link www.naxos-new.gr/?aid=36153
Thanks, we left Mandraki at 10.30 and are motoring down the north coast of Rhodes. We're expecting a bit more wind as we reach the bottom and the grib and Poseidon are showing Bf 5-6 for our overnighter. If we can maintain 5 knots we should be in Spinalonga by 5am tomorrow so should be tucked in before it gets to us. We'll probably be flying along with two reefs in the main and the staysail only! Will post again when we arrive tomorrow.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:09   #5

Just been looking on ais marine traffic weather map and they are predicting only around 15knts Nw between karpathos and crete tomorrow morning but with a 2 meter sea but high wind strengths near heraklion at moment on my way to pireaus and it is rough here cant even have a coffee boat is pitching too much
Old 03-12-2013, 02:11   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Just been looking on ais marine traffic weather map and they are predicting only around 15knts Nw between karpathos and crete tomorrow morning but with a 2 meter sea but high wind strengths near heraklion at moment on my way to pireaus and it is rough here cant even have a coffee boat is pitching too much
Okay, we've had a conference and both looked at the grib again. Executive decision made and we're heading to Alimia/Khalkis to wait until Thursday. We don't want to get caught out.

Thanks for your concern

Have a safe journey to Athens and hope you manage to get a cup of coffee sometime soon!
Old 03-12-2013, 11:20   #7

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

hope you are all safe
Here in Latch Cyprus, its still just breezy - but we are battened down too - mooring lines re-checked.
hopefully too far south - we have had incredible calm weather up till now.

Kris
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42   #8

anybody on North Sea?
Gale warning for tommorow...
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:29   #9

Re: Beaufort 10 Next 3 Days

as of today and tomorrow all shipping and sailing vessels are to be banned from setting sail all ferries cancelled due to force 10 weather forecast here on Naxos the floating barge and dredger that has been out dredging in front of port has had to be towed inside the marina just fitting through the entrance .

the wind is hitting 43 knots here on the quay side at moment

I know some where on another thread on here some one ask whats it like to sail november december time here in the cyclades well here is the reason why we dont
Old 11-12-2013, 01:49   #10

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
anybody on North Sea?
Gale warning for tommorow...
Thanks, we just had a major hurricane. My windspeed indicator noted 49.6 meters per second (roughly 95 knots) so way past Force 12.

Several harbors were completely destroyed, lots of boats thrown up on land or otherwise smashed.

Fortunately, our lines held. I had set the lines for extreme high water (here almost 2 meters above normal and in the Baltic we do not have tides), and they were long enough.

Only problem for me was that I got a slight case of frostbite on my fingers helping my neighbors save their boats.

Heres a pic from one of the harbors - the harbour is completely gone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f812bcf303.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	71893  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:54   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
as of today and tomorrow all shipping and sailing vessels are to be banned from setting sail all ferries cancelled due to force 10 weather forecast here on Naxos the floating barge and dredger that has been out dredging in front of port has had to be towed inside the marina just fitting through the entrance .

the wind is hitting 43 knots here on the quay side at moment

I know some where on another thread on here some one ask whats it like to sail november december time here in the cyclades well here is the reason why we dont
We're now anchored in Spinalonga on Crete and the wind is howling, a steady 35-40 knots and a maximum gust of 58.5 so far. Flights are still arriving and taking off at Heraklion.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:54   #12

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by NornaBiron View Post
We're now anchored in Spinalonga on Crete and the wind is howling, a steady 35-40 knots and a maximum gust of 58.5 so far. Flights are still arriving and taking off at Heraklion.
While you're in Crete, you wouldn't like to register for the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki and update the entries for the harbours you visit? I last updated them in 2009 and probably a few things have changed since then.

Meanwhile, hope the weather improves for you soon!
Old 11-12-2013, 02:58   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
While you're in Crete, you wouldn't like to register for the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki and update the entries for the harbours you visit? I last updated them in 2009 and probably a few things have changed since then.

Meanwhile, hope the weather improves for you soon!
The only place we'll visit is Spinalonga, our winter retreat for the fourth year running. I'll certainly update anything for there and will pass the word around about updates next time we visit the marina in Ag Nik.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:00   #14

How was your trip across from Rhodes to Crete
Old 11-12-2013, 03:09   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
How was your trip across from Rhodes to Crete
A bit lumpy! We anchored in Alimia until the Thursday morning and then headed off in forecast 10-12 knots. We were beating into 27-30 knots for most of the trip but the wind tailed off towards the end so we did 3 hours at only 2 knots! There was still quite a bit of swell left over from the rough weather so not particularly comfortable. We crossed in 25 hours so an average of 5 knots which wasn't too bad for our heavy girl.

We're now anchored in our usual winter spot in Spinalonga sitting out the current storm all on our own!

Tags
beaufort