Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2018, 02:46   #16

Boat: Oyster 55
Re: Best Cruising Guide for the Med?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Do you have any idea how big the Med is?? it is almost the size of the USA - I found this map and laughed a bit but it is huge - we have sailed most of it and all the Black Sea -
https://brilliantmaps.com/mediterranean-sea-america/
Work on your math. The Med is about 1 million square miles. The USA is a little under 4 million square miles. Most people wouldn’t say that 1 million is almost 4 million of anything.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 02:49   #17

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Do you have any idea how big the Med is?? it is almost the size of the USA - I found this map and laughed a bit but it is huge - we have sailed most of it and all the Black Sea -
Work on your math. The Med is about 1 million square miles. The USA is a little under 4 million square miles. Most people wouldn’t say that 1 million is almost 4 million of anything.
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 09:55   #18

Boat: Dolphin 460, 14m

I have been cruising in the Med for twelve years and have during that time bought the three books that cover just about all of it; twice. I my opinion there are the best, but not perfect. They are really good for mono's that like going into marinas, but for cats like me that stay out on anchor all the time I wish he would do more on anchorages, the island bars, groceries stores, and restaurants. Having said that, they are still a good buy. Check eBay for used ones, because for the most part the changes in the Med come slowly.
Dolphin460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 10:39   #19
cruiser

I allow others to purchase various cruising guides and use online resources, and then watch as they join like-minded individuals in plugging up crowded anchorages and marinas in tourist-packed towns and villages.

We own a good set of Navionics Platinum+ charts along with Nobeltec Time Zero Raster charts, then along with Google Earth and the Weather4DPro app on my iPhone, we find the best spots, share them with our friends who agree to keep them secret.... then enjoy quiet, uncrowded, peaceful and picturesque anchorages all to ourselves.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 10:48   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
The Med is nearly 100% usable space with a historic village or city always within a short distance. The coastline of the USA is barely developed with few places outside parts of the east coast to see and enjoy, thanks mainly to the west coast environmentalists who oppose any development. The Med is rich in history, cuisine, and offers six months of near perfect weather; the USA offers almost no history, Burger King, Dairy Queen and mostly horrible weather including hurricanes.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 11:21   #21

Boat: Catalina 36 MKI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The Med is nearly 100% usable space with a historic village or city always within a short distance. The coastline of the USA is barely developed with few places outside parts of the east coast to see and enjoy, thanks mainly to the west coast environmentalists who oppose any development. The Med is rich in history, cuisine, and offers six months of near perfect weather; the USA offers almost no history, Burger King, Dairy Queen and mostly horrible weather including hurricanes.
Don't forget the ridiculously oversized meals and Budwise
De.windhoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 17:53   #22

Boat: Moody 49

Been in the Med for 2 years. Immature/ heinkell guides are great but the best value by far was using the Cuising Association App that comes with membership. Just brilliant. Happy to give a discount code to individuals that post an email on here that brings annual membership to about UsD120 per annum
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 21:58   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400

RIBnet Forums - Powered by vBulletin
And Imray regional pilots (Heikell's wherever applicable).
Noonsite.
Google Earth images.
The above is what I use - sailing the Med over 25 years😃
Old 27-12-2018, 22:06   #24

Quote:
http://arcadianideal.tumblr.com/post...rranean-sea-of
Menlim3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 06:37   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I allow others to purchase various cruising guides and use online resources, and then watch as they join like-minded individuals in plugging up crowded anchorages and marinas in tourist-packed towns and villages.

We own a good set of Navionics Platinum+ charts along with Nobeltec Time Zero Raster charts, then along with Google Earth and the Weather4DPro app on my iPhone, we find the best spots, share them with our friends who agree to keep them secret.... then enjoy quiet, uncrowded, peaceful and picturesque anchorages all to ourselves.
It is useful to own a cruising guide for this purpose, then you know which locations are plugged by the cruising guide and avoid them. Thats how we cruised the Bahamas one year...the guide we had (forget the name) did not just document the hot spots, but also put down other anchorages. We found that the ones it put down were not only usually devoid of other boats but were some of our favorite anchorages! [emoji41]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 22:27   #26

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

Heikell as far as I know, prefers quiet spots himself. So using his pilots you can follow his warnings of crowded/noisy spots and avoid them (or go there if you like noise&#128515.
Old 31-12-2018, 08:47   #27

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Thurlow View Post
Been in the Med for 2 years. Immature/ heinkell guides are great but the best value by far was using the Cuising Association App that comes with membership. Just brilliant. Happy to give a discount code to individuals that post an email on here that brings annual membership to about UsD120 per annum
I agree with Mark. By all means by the various pilots, but by the nature of print, they become out of date before they are sold.

As Mark says, the Cruising Association (CA) in the UK has a large membership now around 6000, with many cruising in the Mediterranean. Almost 20% of the membership is from around the world - in fact any one who speaks English, including a lot of our (EX) colonial friends across the pond.

The CA's APP, Captains Mate, is a cruising app with all the latest data on harbours and anchorages - which are updated in real time. Each time you open your APP it will synchronize and add new reports onto your phone or Ipad, and along with its classic maps with pins, you can view in satellite view, which effectively even shows the nature of the bottom in isolated bays in clear waters of the Med. It is available without an internet signal - so is frankly one of the best pilots around. A new Feature is the "Find My Friend" facility, which if you have switched it on in the app, will allow your boat to be seen by others within an area - in general the CA is a very sociable bunch - as much as you want....

The CA also has a very active Med section forum on which you will get answers in record time on almost any related subject.

In addition, the CA is at the forefront of dealing with some of the awkward countries regulations - and keeps yo very much up to date, and fights the yachtsmans corner to get sensible regulations.

Its easy to join the CA, at https://www.theca.org.uk/ - Press the join button. It is well worth it.
Chris Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:43   #28

Boat: Comet 41s

For the Croatia this one:

https://www.nautimarketshop.com/shop...-18521697.html

On Greece these ones (several). They are expensive and include Greek cartography but as they are expensive and Greece waters are huge so it is better to buy only the ones you need:
https://hartis.org/p/1302/Greece_Sea...ean_Dodecanese
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising