Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 23:39   #1

Boat: Faurby 396
Black Sea offshore rally Burgas - Batumi

What would you think if such a rally is organised to be conducted in late June to July every year starting from 2017. This would be an organised crossing of the Black Sea from west to east awith start in Burgas (Bulgaria) and finish in Batumi (Georgia). The total distance is 633 nm. The winds in this part of the season would be fair most of the time. Return would not be organised and could be executed along the Turksih coast with stops or without stops back to the Bosphoros or to some of the Bulgarian Black Sea coast ports. There are some very good marinas (like Sozopol) with attractive pricing where yachts can stay for the winter on water or land . The rally would have a Racing Division applying IRC and a Cruising division where the yachts will be ranked applying a very basic handicap rule. The rally will be organised by Yacht club port Burgas.

Burgas is a big port city with international airport and Batumi is the same, being in a subtropical location with more exotic looks. Both ports are very safe. The inland Georgia and the mountain Caucasus would be nice to explore. Georgia's policy is pro-European and despite past conflict with Russia, at present there is some warming of their tense political relations. There are no security issues in both Bulgaria and Georgia.

Will some of you who have based your yachts in Greece or Turkey would consider a detour through the Daradanelles and the Bosphoros to the Black Sea (2-3 days passage) in orde to participate in such a rally.? Or would you consider flying down and chartering a yacht for paticipation in the rally?

Rumen

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
olianta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 00:56   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Re: Black Sea offshore rally Burgas - Batumi

Hi Rumen,

It's an interesting idea althought I see some issues;
-most of the foreign cruisers in Turkey are seldom going up to Istanbul or Black Sea. That means the main target would be turkish cruisers or offhore racers which are few..Moreover, I am not sure for Georgia but Bulgaria is requiring visa for turkish citizens.
-the conditions in Black Sea are generally OK in summer, but as you know the conditions Black Sea are always unpredictable; the trip may turn out to be very uncomfortable if not dangereous for average cruisers. The only shelter on the route is Sinop..
-it could be more interesting if you could organize the return trip following turkish coasts with a help of Turkish sailing Club or so, possibly located in Istanbul. (we had a Black Sea rally organised in the past but as far as I know they don't do it anymore..)

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 02:40   #3

Hi Yeloya,

Thanks for your swift reply. The potential problems you mentioned exist but they are not that big and difficult to solve. Apart from Bulgarian and Turkish participants (the latter can obtain Bulgarian visas with the assistance of the Yacht club port Burgas), there will be interest by Romanian and Ukranian participants as well and may be some European, USA and Australian participants that cruise in the Aegean. There was an American couple making a circumnavigation of the Black sea (excluding the Russian waters) with their sailing yacht Gyatso whose experience was generally positive.

Late June/July conditions in the Black sea are generally fine. But it is an offshore race, anyhow.

You are absolutely right about the return passage with stops on the Black sea Turkish coast.

Rumen
Old 21-01-2016, 01:16   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We are an American vessel and right now our plan is the Black Sea -- all the way around - We are currently in a great marina -- Kusadasi and plan to leave about May 15 getting to Istanbul about the 1st of June and to Georgia about the 15 of July -- from there we will see -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:21   #5

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post
What would you think if such a rally is organised to be conducted in late June to July every year starting from 2017. This would be an organised crossing of the Black Sea from west to east awith start in Burgas (Bulgaria) and finish in Batumi (Georgia). The total distance is 633 nm. The winds in this part of the season would be fair most of the time. Return would not be organised and could be executed along the Turksih coast with stops or without stops back to the Bosphoros or to some of the Bulgarian Black Sea coast ports. There are some very good marinas (like Sozopol) with attractive pricing where yachts can stay for the winter on water or land . The rally would have a Racing Division applying IRC and a Cruising division where the yachts will be ranked applying a very basic handicap rule. The rally will be organised by Yacht club port Burgas.

Burgas is a big port city with international airport and Batumi is the same, being in a subtropical location with more exotic looks. Both ports are very safe. The inland Georgia and the mountain Caucasus would be nice to explore. Georgia's policy is pro-European and despite past conflict with Russia, at present there is some warming of their tense political relations. There are no security issues in both Bulgaria and Georgia.

Will some of you who have based your yachts in Greece or Turkey would consider a detour through the Daradanelles and the Bosphoros to the Black Sea (2-3 days passage) in orde to participate in such a rally.? Or would you consider flying down and chartering a yacht for paticipation in the rally?

Rumen

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I would be interested in participating but in 2018.
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 13:13   #6

That's fine. There wii be no rally in 2017 for certain.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:05   #7

We had a great time sailing from Istanbul to Batumi to Sochi up the coast to Anapa across to Odessa down to Romania and Bulgaria and back to Istanbul and Kusadasi -

What an experience and as far as we know we were the only boat doing the circuit - you can do it by yourself as we did - you in the world needs a rally
Old 08-01-2017, 04:08   #8

Hi Chuckr, the idea is to make it an annual rally attracting boats from neighboring countries and occasional boats based in the North/East Aegean with some racing spirit. I am not sure it will start because sailors among the people here (Bulgaria) are not too many, more coastal sailing oriented and for obvious reasons they prefer relaxed summer sailing around the Aegean islands. A passage from Burgas to Batumi and back is an offshore passage, not the type of vacation sailing local sailors are used to do.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:28   #9

If you want to make it so boats will go and have fun I would suggest a lot of intermediate stops and if you want to race then great but a race between the two is a long way may only attract those who want a long distance race.

to a lot a long distance is not a highlight but we have met a few very few who want to do that - most folks we have met like the idea of port hopping and see what each as to offer -
but then again we are cruisers and not racers

good luck with it
Old 12-03-2017, 10:42   #10

Boat: pelle&Peterson, Maxi95, 9,5 mètres
Send a message via Skype™ to Va2shp

Any news on this rally possibility?
I am still planing to vit the Black Sea in 2018, idealy more a cruise than a race.
Va2shp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 00:17   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va2shp View Post
Any news on this rally possibility?
I am still planing to vit the Black Sea in 2018, idealy more a cruise than a race.
Any questions please let me know as we had an incredible time up there and wish we could do it again -- it is a great cruising ground but hard - the wx sometimes does not want to cooperate
Old 13-03-2017, 22:39   #12

It will not happens this summer. The municipality of Burgas is quite busy with the European Optimist Championship that will take place at the end of July. Organizing of Burgas-Batumi rally needs sponsorship which is not available at present. The idea for such rally was conceived by me and two friends of mine, very good amateur racing sailors, who will participate with my sailboat Furia in this year Twostar race Plymouth-Newport and therefore our energy is concentrated on that event. I am decided, however, to put my efforts in organizing the rally next summer.
Rumen

Tags
offshore