Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2007, 23:58   #1

Boat: Hanse 455
Boat Maintenance in Greece or Croatia ?

We are looking to install a davit on the stern of our 37 ft yacht to house solar panels and also possibly a hanging dinghy. The yacht is currenly in Pula, Croatia, this year we are taking it down to Greece, possibly Preveza. Where would the best place be to do this, what is it like getting work like this done in Greece.
Old 16-04-2007, 14:55   #2

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
I do not mean to be funny but if I had the choice between Greece and Croatia for boat maintenance, I choose Italy; particularly with more involved devices such as electrical issues. There is only one location that I could recommend in all of Croatia (and I have been up and down the coast for decades):

MYC suha marina (MYC dry marina)
Nauticka 3
51222 Bakar
Croatia
Tel.: ++ 385 51 212 334
Fax: ++ 385 51 213 919

The yard is located in the Northern part of the Bay of Bakar near Rijeka, from Pula 2 easy days or one strong run.

The owner's name is Arsen, I do not know if his yard is able to handle your solar-panels but he is absolutely trustworthy, a straight shooter who will let you know upfront. I kept my boat there for 2 years and was very satisfied. If you contact him, say "Bog" from Peter and SY Nepomuk.
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2007, 18:41   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Morski Krastavac

Where in Italy? I also im looking for someone to make an arch & davits , I will be crusing on the south side of Sicly then to the boot and across to Greese ?
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 05:06   #4

Boat: Bavaria 40, 12, 48 meters
Ahoi Ram,

While you find well stocked chandlers and yards in any larger Italian port. I can recommend a yard from personal experience, Marina Sibari:

MARINA - SIBARI - CASA BIANCA GROUP - CANTIERI NAUTICI LAGHI DI SIBARI - C.da Laghi di Sibari (Cs) - Il pił grande porto turistico del Mediterraneo ...

I kept my boat there over the winter and can not say enough about this place: Professional and curteous people:

Maria at the reception speaks English (she will receive and answer your emails) and communicated any questions and developments promptly while I was in the US. Gaitano the yard-chief initially spent a lot of time with me, going through the boat, to understand in detail everything I wanted done and communicated progress and arising questions timely. Prices in the Marina are very affordable. Downside: could use a face-lift all facilities are squeaky clean but a bit worn, some including me consider this charming, the Marina is a bit isolated, approx. 6 km outside of Sibari-town. Free shuttle bus runs twice a week to well stocked supermarket in town though.

Call / email Maria, tell her Peter / SY Nepomuk sent you.
Morski Krastavac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2007, 06:23   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Morski Krastavac

I will be cruising that area & will stop in if they can help
Ram
Old 17-04-2007, 09:27   #6

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
Stainless Steel Fabrication

Annabel,

A little south of Preveza is Nidri, on the east coast of Levkada. Walk south out of Nidri about 500 metres and you'll find Phil's stainess steel shop on the right. All the yotties there know him. He's a Brit, been working in that area for about nine years to my knowledge, always has a waiting list of jobs, and I've only heard praise for his work. I chose him for a slightly smaller stern job than I believe you'd need.

He'll quickly tell you whether the job is within his scope or not (depends a bit on your size) and he'll warn you if he can't arrange for the finished item to be polished up to a really stain free finish (I would have had to have waited four weeks so I chose not, to find much later that his finish was the same standard as the rest of my vessel's stainless).

While you're travelling there, you may find my site useful!

JimB, Google 'jimb sail' to find my site, or go
JimB's sail Europe
Compares the cruise areas of Europe, with detail on Greece.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 07:56   #7
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Jim thats helpfull, Im not sure where it is at the moment but will see if its anywhere near my route I will stop in.
Ram

Tags
Croatia, Greece