Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2009, 07:49   #61

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Reading Keelbolts post makes me feel scared as well, and it ain’t getting easier as economies tighten up.
Dragos option would be something to have under their belt, so long as they don’t pick the only honest marina manager in Tangier and get shackled to the dungeon for bribery.
I’ve sailed the coast of Spain a lot, and first to mention they might consider a ‘motivation’ of the officials, (and consider is the operative word, because we aren’t there and don’t know all the facts, or how much money the Christoffs have). I’ve met all types, and these port officials don’t get much pay, and with some the only compensation is the power they hold over others, especially “rich boat owners”.
First you have to get down to their level, so they don’t feel you are a ‘rich foreigner,’ enjoying their land for free, when they are stuck in their crappy job. Then, you need to give them a reason to feel satisfied they have done their job, and/or made a few bob themselves, and they may miraculously drop the issue, (especially if it’s a bit tricky), and become your instant friend.
Depending on how far it has progressed, I would cautiously approach my lawyer, and ask if any other “personal compensation,’ might solve the problem. He will know if the officials are crooked, or even a little bit bent. By the way, it’s not a good idea to try to do it yourself even if your speak fluent Spanish, because you are still a forastero.
It will be instructional and interesting to hear the outcome from the Christoffs, one way or the other.
Old 16-04-2009, 14:05   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I have been lurking on this thread with great interest. I plan on touring Europe in my boat, and I have a quick question.
Does each country in the EU have their own time you can spend in the country, or is the 183 days a EU requirement, and every 6 months you must go off EU soil? For example, can I spend 4 months in England then 4 months in Spain, or do I have to go to Morocco?
Old 16-04-2009, 19:09   #63

Boat: Beneteau First 38
I don't want to High Jack the thread

It's not just the EU, I was robbed by the Turks & Caicos Gov for import duty even after I asked for an exemption as stated in British law.

The gov is there is now dissolved and back under British rule. Hey maybe I can get a refund!

So be aware of where you cruise.

I know I am now.

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Old 17-04-2009, 01:30   #64
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribsailors View Post
... I was robbed by the Turks & Caicos Gov for import duty even after I asked for an exemption as stated in British law.
The gov is there is now dissolved and back under British rule...
In July 2008 a UK government Commission of Inquiry was set up to "look into whether there had been corruption involving past or present elected members of the islands’ House of Assembly, the 21-member parliament,”

Turks & Caicos Islands Commission of Inquiry
The Turks and Caicos Islands Commission of Inquiry Commissioner Sir Robin Auld

And:
Turks & Caicos: Day 1, 2, 3 & 4 - Transcripts of Commission of Inquiry Hearing - Premier Micheal Misick

Delivering a press statement on March 16, the Governor said that Sir Robin noted that the written information obtained in the first six months of the Inquiry, when coupled with the evidence in the public hearings in TCI earlier this year, have provided information in abundance pointing to a high probability of systemic corruption or other serious dishonesty.

He said that in light of the accumulation of evidence in relation to TCI in the last year or so, and fortified by the Commissioner’s interim report, the UK Government has formed the view that parts of the Constitution will need to be suspended and has decided to take steps to enable it to do so.
Goto:
http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/n...atement-160309

Turks and Caicos Islands Constitution (Interim Amendment) Order 2009:
The Turks and Caicos Islands Constitution (Interim Amendment) Order 2009 No. 701

Old 17-04-2009, 11:14   #65
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
It seems that the Christoffs weren't the only foreign cruisers targeted by Spanish customs authorities. There appears to be a rather short-sighted effort underway to raise local revenues from foreign yacht owners.

An excerpt from an article in the British magazine Sailing World...

Quote:
They make a great orange, hold a pretty good Americas Cup, produce Popes and Kings and the weather is superb, but - don't leave your boat in Valencia! The port city on Spain's Mediterranean coast is turning on its foreign boat owners and suddenly confiscating their boats, demanding a massive tax that is enforced nowhere else in the EU.

At the Marina International in Torrevieja, one of several ports on the Mediterranean coast to be targeted in recent months, a dozen Britons have had their vessels impounded and countless others have fled to avoid the risk of losing their boats...

...The regional government of Valencia is clamping down on foreigners who reside in marinas across its southeastern coastline and are demanding payment of up to 12 per cent of the value of the boat under a law that is not enforced across the rest of Spain or the European Union.
Old 17-04-2009, 11:33   #66

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Nothing like killing the goose that laid the golden egg...
Old 17-04-2009, 12:11   #67

Boat: EliBit, Evolution 25
all the eu member states Member States
Old 17-04-2009, 12:43   #68

Boat: 1975 tartan 27
Haven't seen those posted elsewhere in the thread yet, but I stumbled on this article on noonsite that indicates this situation has been going on since at least January:

Noonsite: ISDMT Tax Crackdown for Liveaboards Begins in 2009

There is an additional article with some more links:

Noonsite: Update on Spanish Taxes applied to Foreign Registered Boats
Old 18-04-2009, 03:05   #69
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
How long before other countrys start doing this to raise money -this was brought on by the recission and less taxs being collected- I suppose they figure anyone with a yacht has a few extra bucks they can squeeze- Im going to be extra careful this year not to step over the line
Old 18-04-2009, 03:10   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See also:

Spanish Taxes and Boat Registration

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-on-boats.html

The Spanish boat tax system explained.

Boating through Europe, the French Waterways, the ISDMT boat import tax

Sail World - Powerboat-world: Sail and sailing, cruising, boating news

In addition to the Noonsite articles, ad astra cited

Noonsite: ISDMT Tax Crackdown for Liveaboards Begins in 2009

Noonsite: Update on Spanish Taxes applied to Foreign Registered Boats

Old 06-05-2009, 06:59   #71

Boat: Tankard 19 'Tamara'
Guardia Civil

I slipped up the other day too, the Guardia Civil said to me how long are you staying and I said 6 months, they said any longer and we take your boat - and I knew to lie, i had just forgotten.
But telling fibs now may be your best way out of it.
Can you get any receipts or do you have any from a different country within that period, or pictures.
Then you can say you havent permanently been in Spain and neither has your boat.
I dont like dealing with the Guardia Civil, but some are OK but you met a right little pair of jobsworths. Its such a shame you never heard of this before as then you would of known what to say.
I would do a runner, wait till its rough weather, they cant touch you once you leave spain and theres no inter department liason. My friend has been in the canaries for years but every time he sees 1 he just says ive only been here 2 weeks. Registering in Spain is an absolute bitch, England leads the way in this department, you will even have to do a licence test!!
Go for it, do a runner, but maybe they would suspect a run for the border.
An offshore coastal passage may confuse them, i will keep my fingers crossed for you. Trev. They love their sticky tape!
The marina wont ring straight away you can bet. they sound OK.
P.S What are the winter rates in southern spain for a 6 meter boat?
I was thinking of leaving mine there.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:24   #72

Boat: 1986 aloa 27 - KAVALA
hello unfortunate mate

unless you are in koweit or the KSA policemen every where are underpaid and generally welcome an extra buck if the opportunity arise, so why don't you try to offer their captain some kind of contribution to their fine work ?? it worked for me on more than one occasion but beware not to do it directly, generally have someone else ,preferably local "suggest" this as a gesture of apology for ignorance on your behalf.. you can never be charged of bribery this way..
walking straight does not always lead to the nearest open door.
good luck
Old 06-05-2009, 11:47   #73

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbendaly View Post
hello unfortunate mate

unless you are in koweit or the KSA policemen every where are underpaid and generally welcome an extra buck if the opportunity arise, so why don't you try to offer their captain some kind of contribution to their fine work ?? it worked for me on more than one occasion but beware not to do it directly, generally have someone else ,preferably local "suggest" this as a gesture of apology for ignorance on your behalf.. you can never be charged of bribery this way..
walking straight does not always lead to the nearest open door.
good luck
Be very careful. The practice of "Baksheesh", while commonplace in the Arab world, can be viewed as attempted bribery elsewhere with rather unfortunate consequences.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:14   #74
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Canuck View Post
Be very careful. The practice of "Baksheesh", while commonplace in the Arab world, can be viewed as attempted bribery elsewhere with rather unfortunate consequences.
True enough, but props to gbendaly for this line:

"Walking straight does not always lead to the nearest open door."

TaoJones
Old 06-05-2009, 12:17   #75

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
True enough, but props to gbendaly for this line:

"Walking straight does not always lead to the nearest open door."

TaoJones
You're right. Very well said. Couldn't agree more.

Tags
Spain