Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05   #1

Boat: Anderson 22
Boating Grounds Website

I guess the title of my first post wasn't quite self-explanatory and was wrongly places, so this is a re-post.

Lots of info scattered all over the internet but no single source of good, reliable information about all sailing grounds in Europe. Also, most websites look and function like they used to 20 years ago.
Not sure if this is a global phenomenon but I won't sail further in 2 years, so I'll stick to that for now.

The party is started: Europe Tour by Boat

For those not getting to it right from the start, click on the little white anchors, then on the red title..

Hints, tips, ideas, all welcomed! But most appreciated will be not-so-available infos from places where you can't find much info in English. I'll do the lower part of Danube so those willing to take the river to the Black Sea will know which way it's the supermarket.

Oh, and those owning a business are invited to own and maintain a spot, for free.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:30   #2

Re: Boating Grounds Website

Ouuppss! Sorry for missing the point in the first post, the party is here:Boating Grounds Website
Old 03-04-2013, 02:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catakate View Post
Ouuppss! Sorry for missing the point in the first post, the party is here:Boating Grounds Website
that works!
though your symbols unless zoomed in could very quickly clutter the map

now if you can link it to

World Cruising and Sailing Wiki - a Cruising Guide on the World Cruising and Sailing Wiki

and

The global site for cruising sailors — Noonsite
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:55   #4

Yeap, I wasn't just fooling around

I must dig deeper into google's documentation to adjust icon's size according to zoom level, should be possible. If not, one should zoom into a specific area anyway.

I've been browsing through both sites you mentioned, great resources, but... a little incomplete, a little outdated... boaters should do better, shouldn't they?
Old 03-04-2013, 02:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

try also https://activecaptain.com/X.php

this might be a better model for you,though info is a hard one as it changes so regularly,though noon site tries very hard for the more regular routes.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41   #6

nice one, thanks, but this also misses 2 marinas at Black Sea that are several years old already, and the one in Tulcea, the last city on Danube's course to the delta and sea.

my idea, proven buy hundreds of open-source based systems out there, is that an army of contributors can easily outrun a fairly large company. if they are set to it. If sailors wants it, the system is here for them to use or manage. those not willing to contribute... may at any time donate
Old 03-04-2013, 19:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
though your symbols unless zoomed in could very quickly clutter the map
solved by clustering, now there can elegantly be as many symbols as we wish
Old 03-04-2013, 20:06   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Just out of curiouity did you look at www.noonsite.com ?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 20:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Just out of curiouity did you look at www.noonsite.com ?
Short answer: yes!
Long version: atoll suggested noonsite in his first reply and my reply is also above. In addition I'd say that it's like using an old 486/100MHz PC. Works but I wouldn't. We live in an era when marketing decisions are based on intelligence gathered from facebook. I like reading and I like classic cars but we have the technology to instantly pinpoint the information visually, like a bridge clearance for example. Or which way is the groceries store.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:41   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

I haven't clicked on your links - and been a long while since I looked at the Cruising & Sailing Wiki, my little part of the world was incomplete (non-existent!) that may have been fixed, or not!........I actually like the idea, but the reason why I have not got involved was:

a) originally I had login problems / they wanted too much personal info - IIRC now fixed.
b) I can't be arsed! - I suspect I am not alone on that!.......whilst I appreciate the concept, IMO where group efforts tend to fail is on the "what's in it for me" angle. IME "free" only gets yer so much - online it doesn't have to be hard cash, but for something like this (above simply a forum of nattering with info attached - like CF!) nonetheless still needs to be above contributors only getting a warm fuzzy feeling.........but as I said, not been on the Wiki for a long while - that may have been addressed.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

I guess you haven't heard about the Cruising Association's "app" which downloads some thousands of reports about harbours and anchorages around Europe onto your iPad, iPhone or Android map. Members can also upload reports on the spot, using the gps function giving position at the time of report. And that download is instantly available to all members who are online . . . see

All that stuff is also available on a pc, linked to a page similar to:

which gives a general picture of the area. Coverage of Europe is exceptional, but reports do extend world-wide

I've used my own site to illustrate this, since these Cruising Association pages are only available to members.
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:22   #12

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Sadly, the reason why cruising information on the internet is so fragmented and incomplete is that cruisers haven't pulled together to create a single resource that everyone can contribute to and benefit from. I fear that what you're doing - worthy as your intentions are - is just creating yet more fragmentation.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki is far from perfect, but for some areas - e.g. the Mediterranean - it's becoming one of the best online resources around. It could get even better if a few more people buried their egos and registered as contributors. There's no financial rewards and not much undying fame, but that doesn't stop people with genuine altruistic tendencies.

For example, there's already a structure in place for the Black Sea: one of the Wiki sysops has just spent several weeks putting it in place. Perhaps you might be better employed registering on the Wiki (assuming you haven't already done so) and giving it the benefit of your knowledge of the area. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:39   #13

Thank you all for your thoughts, time and effort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I can't be arsed!
+1
DOJ - I'm not the "facebook/real name & all" kind of person either and I stay signed off of google just because I hate how all banners follow my searches. I also agree everyone should have something in it for himself. Each and every non-contributing visitor is an asset for a website, you should get something just for that. That's how yahoo, google, facebook and many many others exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
I guess you haven't heard about the Cruising Association's "app"
Thanks, I haven't. This is a good example for DOJ's argument above. You pay to use a resource and you get used more by contributing to the knowledge base. There may be other benefits to make it worth though, but this far it's not to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
cruisers haven't pulled together to create a single resource that everyone can contribute to and benefit from
I agree, haven't found one.

Quote:
The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki is far from perfect
Any wiki is far from perfect giving the scope. It was just not created for this and has no chance to cope with the purpose. Wikipedia is the 5th website of all internet because it does what it was meant to do. It can cover some needs for every boater but it's very difficult to maintain a bridge to other "apps", there are better ways to do it.

Quote:
For example, there's already a structure in place for the Black Sea: one of the Wiki sysops has just spent several weeks putting it in place.
That is a resource for me and it's on my list to give something back
Old 11-04-2013, 00:23   #14

I found a DNS propagation problem, those not able to access the website should now be able to.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:28   #15

Boat: LM 22

Quote:
Sadly, the reason why cruising information on the internet is so fragmented and incomplete is that cruisers haven't pulled together to create a single resource that everyone can contribute to and benefit from. I fear that what you're doing - worthy as your intentions are - is just creating yet more fragmentation.

The World Cruising and Sailing Wiki is far from perfect, but for some areas - e.g. the Mediterranean - it's becoming one of the best online resources around. It could get even better if a few more people buried their egos and registered as contributors. There's no financial rewards and not much undying fame, but that doesn't stop people with genuine altruistic tendencies.

For example, there's already a structure in place for the Black Sea: one of the Wiki sysops has just spent several weeks putting it in place. Perhaps you might be better employed registering on the Wiki (assuming you haven't already done so) and giving it the benefit of your knowledge of the area. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute.
For completeness it should be noted that further fragmentation is happening on Wikivoyage where a Cruising expedition was launched a couple of months ago with the goal of handling cruisers needs better at Wikivoyage. See Wikivoyage:Cruising Expedition
madsb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boating