Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2023, 15:27   #1

Post Buying a Greek boat without EU-VAT

Hi,

We are about to buy a sailboat in Greece, it was previously a charter boat until 2008 when it was sold to a private person and under Swedish (also EU) flag. But this person never paid the VAT and we (also Swedish) wants to buy it from him. The boat is still in Greece and we intend to keep her there.

It has now been standing on land without any maintenance for over 10 years and is in quite poor condition pretty rather cheap. We will refit it and I guess we need to pay the VAT. Can I get in trouble because he never paid the VAT?

Does anyone know if it's best to pay it in Sweden or in Greece?
Will the VAT be based on my cheap purchase price now? I just don't want to risk that the VAT bill will be based on the sellers purchase price when he bought it from the charter company 2008, or even the price from 2001 when it was new. Or does it need to be valued by a third party?

Regards

Ronnie
Ronnie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:52   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Buying a Greek boat without EU-VAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie79 View Post
Hi,

We are about to buy a sailboat in Greece, it was previously a charter boat until 2008 when it was sold to a private person and under Swedish (also EU) flag. But this person never paid the VAT and we (also Swedish) wants to buy it from him. The boat is still in Greece and we intend to keep her there.

It has now been standing on land without any maintenance for over 10 years and is in quite poor condition pretty rather cheap. We will refit it and I guess we need to pay the VAT. Can I get in trouble because he never paid the VAT?

Does anyone know if it's best to pay it in Sweden or in Greece?
Will the VAT be based on my cheap purchase price now? I just don't want to risk that the VAT bill will be based on the sellers purchase price when he bought it from the charter company 2008, or even the price from 2001 when it was new. Or does it need to be valued by a third party?

Regards

Ronnie
you talking for bavaria 50 from 2000 year
more is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying