Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 04:56   #16

Re: Buying a modest Catamaran in Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not sure what a "Bumper Boat" is - the Broads Cruisers I mentioned earlier are these.

Come in countless sizes and shapes and layouts - what is common is that they have the capacity to go under low bridges (some of the wheelhouses fold). You will note that the sides are pretty straight for locks / mooring against a river bank.

They are also not sea boats, in either design or build - so won't want to be punching a F5 across the Channel!, but on a nice day should be good for the trip. Mostly found on the Norfolks Broads (hence the name!), so not a straight / short run across the channel and therefore likely some (nice weather) coastal hopping involved, both sides of the channel until can get up the River / canal desired.

Holland likely also worth an explore as lots of inland waterways - albeit they like steel there!, but not exclusively.
A lot of the canal charter companies have similar vessles but with massive wrap around rubber bumpers to deal with charter captains with little experience....hence bumper boats.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:50   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Buying a Modest Catamaran in Europe

Forget Narrowboats, they exist purely because of the gauge of the english system. The Continental ( and irish systems incidentally) allow far greater beam and hence comfort. Many medium sized motorboats unto 50 feet can do it, ( check height).

If you intend to mainly canal cruise, i would suggest a Dutch Steel motor cruiser, comfortable , single engine, economical. With reasonable weathers they can also coastal cruise. ( I know personally several that save). Good value currently.

dave
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57   #18

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop
Re: Buying a Modest Catamaran in Europe

I had a similar dilemma - I know the Gemini well , having shared one for a while...
My choice was the Dean Cat 365 - I wanted something spacious for our year long cruise. The Prouts and other designs I saw were less spacious and had dodgy sailing pedigree.
IMO the Dean 365 is the most spacious older cat there is.

I am heading back to Cyprus where I have a berth at Latchi waiting , via Turkey.
And my family depart early November - so the "sell-by-date" has been brought forward.
There are 2 other dean 365's available - I know them both , the one is a bit scruffy with twin 9hp volvo's , the other is also twin engined and currently west of Greece somewhere. I have the single engine version and have found that more economical altho my skills have been honed to a new degree of accuracy.
contact me if you want more details.

Kris SV Footprints

PS the Dean is a bullet-proof boat - mine is rock-solid , even has stainless steel slippers for beaching. Designed for the Atlantic/Indian oceans and my neighbour in Cape Town sailed his round the world (Cape Song)

Tags
buying, catamaran, Europe, rope, europe