Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 13:20   #16

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.
Re: Buying Or Leasing A Car In Greece For 6 Months...

Just a thought, have you tried the Anglo Info ex pats website, you may be lucky and someone needs a car returning for it's annual test or someone needing stuff taken/brought back from the UK.
Other than that, train and ferry to Calais, hire a car for the UK leg and drop it of in Calais again at the train station.
If you haven't got piles you could try the Eurolines coach service.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 22:40   #17
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Buying Or Leasing A Car In Greece For 6 Months...

Thanks a lot guys for all the input ! Well we ended up sailing to Italy and have now stayed instead of continuing to Greece. We bought a Van here to take us back to France. When I started looking for a car I found the local websites and started calling around. 99% of the calls went like this
"hello, do you speak english"
"prego"
"hello, Im calling about your car for sale, do you speak english?"
"prego"
"hello?"
*click*
"f^*&*(k"

So I ended up contacting a local guide who speaks English and Italian to make some calls for us and drive us around to look at cars. That worked out great and we found a car at a dealer. A bit tricky getting paperwork sorted and transfer fees are around 600 EU here even for a cheap car. We ended up asking the dealer to mark the car as Demolito, meaning we have to export it and it isn't allowed to return to Italy for registration. So we will have 5-7 days to take it out of Italy and in France we will re register French and ..more paperwork, fees etc, eventually sell it again.
We were offered a car by fellow cruisers who needed to get their car back to UK, but the timing didn't work out. We still have last years car in Barcelona, so if anyone needs a car there or is heading North from there, let me know!
Anyway, I will update later, fingers crossed it makes the 2000km trip without problems..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, buying