Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 00:18   #16

Re: Canal Boat in Alsace (France)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
We have been talking about demasting our Beneteau 50 (draft 1.8M Beam 4.4M) and spending a year in the canals. Not sure which ones. It this feasible or just a numb ass idea? I suppose the Boat would sit a bit higher with the mast off? Less draft?
Very doable but there are a few routes your draft may be an issue. I wouldn't count on the mast resulting in significantly less draft.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 10:12   #17

Boat: Mirage 35

The link that athene provided above - VNF - Calcul d'itinéraire fluvial - allows you to enter the boat characterstics including draft, so I assume (haven't played with that aspect yet) that it will show which itineraries are feasible for you.
Old 26-02-2016, 11:03   #18

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordgeoff View Post
We have been talking about demasting our Beneteau 50 (draft 1.8M Beam 4.4M) and spending a year in the canals. Not sure which ones. It this feasible or just a numb ass idea? I suppose the Boat would sit a bit higher with the mast off? Less draft?
The Distant Shores guys took their Southerly 49 through the canals with no real issues. Of course it has a swing keel. Draft would be you biggest concern. As I recall they also had issues with fenders and fender boards due to the curvature of their hull.

Old 22-03-2016, 04:48   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400

I would advise to ask the rental company if you need any special licence to operate the boat.
Europe is implementing a schema called ICC that applies to sailing in general but originated specifically for inland waters.
It is not as yet compulsory in all European inland waters but is spreading, so better check what's current requirement for the area you intend to cover.
Some general info is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._of_Competence
Old 22-03-2016, 05:03   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canal Boat in Alsace (France)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
I would advise to ask the rental company if you need any special licence to operate the boat.
Europe is implementing a schema called ICC that applies to sailing in general but originated specifically for inland waters.
It is not as yet compulsory in all European inland waters but is spreading, so better check what's current requirement for the area you intend to cover.
Some general info is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._of_Competence
The ICC or International Certificate of Competence applies only to operation of coastal/sea going vessels.
If you want to cruise the Inland Waterways of Europe the following is what is required
The CEVNI Endorsement

CEVNI is the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterways and is the basis of the various countries’ own regulations. Signs, rules and procdures for navigating the European inland waterways are all included within the CEVNI code and in the same way as pleasure craft on coastal waters are expected to abide by the COLREGS, pleasure craft on the inland waterways of Europe, which in places are heavily utilised by commercial traffic are expected to know and follow the CEVNI code. If you require an ICC endorsed for use on inland waters, you must learn the CEVNI code and sit the CEVNI test. The “RYA European waterways regulations (the CEVNI rules explained)” publication G17 provides the information you need to learn the code in a clear and concise way.

The CEVNI test is a short multiple choice paper – a sample paper is available and this can also be found at the back of the book. The training centre will, confirm successful completion of the test by signing the relevant section of the ICC application form – there is no separate certificate. Our own very highly recommended inland and coastal RYA, ICC and CEVNI training centre in the UK is at Bisham Abbey on the River Thames west of London

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 05:40   #21

From information provided by the rental companies (and some others on this forum), there is no licensing requirement to operate these boats in France. Other countries have requirements, but Macblaze's comment near the start of the thread suggests that a Canadian PCOC is good enough to fool some of them.

I plan on getting the ICC certification within the next year or so anyway, just because ...
Old 04-10-2016, 13:25   #22

Bumping this thread to again thank those who provided input. It was a great trip - going through the Vosges mountains by boat - which involves a lot of locks, an elevator, two tunnels, and some bridges - was quite an experience. I also learned a bit about power boat handling.

Photo: Arzviller boat lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7316.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	132305  
Old 04-10-2016, 13:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post

Bumping this thread to again thank those who provided input. It was a great trip - going through the Vosges mountains by boat - which involves a lot of locks, an elevator, two tunnels, and some bridges - was quite an experience. I also learned a bit about power boat handling.

Colour me jealous. We really want to go back and do another section of the canal system...
Old 04-10-2016, 17:17   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good on you Anglais in Hull.

I was unaware of the Arzviller boat lift, so I Googled it, and came up with into on the "Arzviller boat lift accident." By golly!

We went through the Alsace on some friends' peniche, in June, and it was lovely, and the white wines, superb! Yes, we had a good time!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 14-10-2017, 19:42   #25

I am thinking of buying a 37' Dutch Steel boat in France and going solo around the French canals for 6 months April-October. As a single boater, would I be able to handle the locks, or even be allowed to cruise single-handed?
Filmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 20:16   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmitchell View Post
I am thinking of buying a 37' Dutch Steel boat in France and going solo around the French canals for 6 months April-October. As a single boater, would I be able to handle the locks, or even be allowed to cruise single-handed?
Sounds like a great idea! Something I hope to do someday too.

It would be much easier with crew. (Hint).

If you do go alone, let us know how it turns out.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 20:18   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post

That's a very cool lift! Impressive. Wow!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2017, 23:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmitchell View Post
The French seem pretty relaxed about this; I don't think there are any regulations that would stop you. On the small canal I tried the locks are pretty small and easy; based on my experience I would say that if you're comfortable docking a 37 footer single-handed then you would have no problem in the locks.
Old 15-10-2017, 07:58   #29

I have done canals in Southern France, England and Wales. There are locks
on the Canal du Midi that cannot be handled by oneself. I do not have
personal experience on other ones.

Usually there are other boaters in line that could be willing to help you.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 09:34   #30

It's doable with a degree of skill and foresight. We followed a Dutch fellow in his steel boat for about 10 miles down the Canal de la Marne au Rhin. He even had time to help us with our lines once or twice.

But it was very precise and very athletic. I can't see why it couldnt be done in any of the canals I have been in but I would suggest a lot of practice before hitting busier locks. Legally it wasnt an issue...

Tags
France