Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2019, 09:13   #16

Re: Certification needed for Greek waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle View Post
What is the flag of your boat? (US, Greek, or others?)
Because in EU the certification you need to skipper a boat depend on the rules of the "Flag" (the state where the boat is registred).
If you have a US flag, you need the same certifications that you need to sail in US, if you have a AUS flag you need the same certifications that you need to sail in AUS.....and so on!
That depends on the country, not an EU-wide rule. Spain in theory needs a certification according to the skippers passport or residency, i.e. an American should bring ASA, a Brit RYA certifications, regardless of flag. They also accept ICC (while Spain is not a Resolution 40 signatory) but that won't help much, ICC is usually issued by your home country. And of course local practice may differ from the law.
Old 27-02-2019, 10:40   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
That depends on the country, not an EU-wide rule. Spain in theory needs a certification according to the skippers passport or residency, i.e. an American should bring ASA, a Brit RYA certifications, regardless of flag. They also accept ICC (while Spain is not a Resolution 40 signatory) but that won't help much, ICC is usually issued by your home country. And of course local practice may differ from the law.

No! I'm sure!
At sea local practice must comply with the IMO (International Maritime Organization) rules, and can't have rules contrary IMO rules!

If you are sailing in spanish water (as all EU) you need the certification require by your flag.
The only exception is if you are in Spanish water and you are a Spanish citizen, you need the spanish certication , regarddless the flag (and this is the same for any other EU country).

If you are US citizien with US flag you need only what US rules indicate.

I.e. In France for sailing boat under 14m (42ft) you don't need any certification, if you are on a French flag boat you must sailing all over EU water [and I'm quiet sure also wordwide], without any certifications, regardless of your passport!
Excetpt in the water of the country of which you are citizen (if you are not French), in this case you must hold the certificates require by your passport country rules.
Yellow bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2019, 09:46   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
Mark Thompson (an Aussie in North America) of Yachting Education offers ICC assessments. My only relationship with Mark Thompson and Yachting Education is as an uncompensated ICC assessment client. See attached document for assessment syllabus.

I've never been asked for it in Spain, Gibraltar, Portugal, Morocco, Tunisia, or Italy.
Thank you... Seems very well organized and for the most part complete.

Would have been nice to see something about seamanship (knots and cleat work) Basic sailboat parts terminology and firefighting and basic Marine emergency knowledge including MOB

Something like this should become Internationally a standard requirement .
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 09:08   #19

Occasionally - once or twice per season you will be asked.

If you don't have an RYA day skipper or ICC then you will enter a world of pain....
Hahser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 16:57   #20

I believe you are required only to hold what certifications and qualifications are required for your flag of residency, but surely there must be some actual reference page either for each country or for the IMO that stipulates this as there is a lot of banter and difference of opinions.

I would love to have for instance I would love to have a page on a Greek website that outlines this information to show to any Greek authorities when asked that I have attempted to abide by their regulations as per the page, and have this for each country I visit.

Does anyone know of such?
OZ-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 18:47   #21

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I second Mark Thompson at yachting education. He is awesome!! I used NauticEd to do the day skipper theory, then tested with Mark for my ICC. He is a sailor's sailor and a great and patient instructor.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 22:56   #22

No ICC but USCG 110-ton with auxiliary sail endorsement has worked in Greece and Croatia.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 00:11   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Eagle View Post
No! I'm sure!
At sea local practice must comply with the IMO (International Maritime Organization) rules, and can't have rules contrary IMO rules!

If you are sailing in spanish water (as all EU) you need the certification require by your flag.
The only exception is if you are in Spanish water and you are a Spanish citizen, you need the spanish certication , regarddless the flag (and this is the same for any other EU country).

If you are US citizien with US flag you need only what US rules indicate.

I.e. In France for sailing boat under 14m (42ft) you don't need any certification, if you are on a French flag boat you must sailing all over EU water [and I'm quiet sure also wordwide], without any certifications, regardless of your passport!
Excetpt in the water of the country of which you are citizen (if you are not French), in this case you must hold the certificates require by your passport country rules.
Do not try that in Montenegro you will be asked to leave if you do not have certification. They were not happy with my ASA but accepted otherwise you are invited to leave immediately. It may also apply in Croatia.

We have been asked a few times and without it we may have had to hire someone who is or leave the country. And we have only been to 47 different countries and can not remember all who wanted it but a few did.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 11:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Do not try that in Montenegro you will be asked to leave if you do not have certification. They were not happy with my ASA but accepted otherwise you are invited to leave immediately. It may also apply in Croatia.

We have been asked a few times and without it we may have had to hire someone who is or leave the country. And we have only been to 47 different countries and can not remember all who wanted it but a few did.

Montenegro is not an EU country.
Old 20-03-2019, 12:54   #25

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-Sailor View Post
I believe you are required only to hold what certifications and qualifications are required for your flag of residency, but surely there must be some actual reference page either for each country or for the IMO that stipulates this as there is a lot of banter and difference of opinions.

I would love to have for instance I would love to have a page on a Greek website that outlines this information to show to any Greek authorities when asked that I have attempted to abide by their regulations as per the page, and have this for each country I visit.

Does anyone know of such?

Greece don't give a toss what requirements your flag state has but as long as you have some kind if certification you should be fine. Even without qualifications you probably be fine. Dont worry about it.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 15:36   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer View Post
A friend is interested in buying a share in my boat in Greece. He is a good sailor and lots of years experience. However he has no formal qualifications. Does he need certification to sail in Greece?

I have an ICC card and do the DEKPA paperwork etc.

Thanks

The most important thing is that the name of your friend have to be included on DEKPA as Skipper!

"Lending your Boat to another Skipper - Family or trusted Friend.
If you do NOT include the name(s) of other skippers who may sail the yacht from time to time on the DEKPA - AND have a letter of authority in the possession of the temporary Skipper, you may be detained for Illegal Chartering. A letter is not enough, it must be on the DEKPA too"

Tags
certification, water