Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 12:10   #1

Charter Companies in Croatia

We have been looking into a Croatia charter for next June - family of 5+1 on a ~42' cat for 2-3 weeks. I am getting ready to book but my head is spinning with all of the charter company/broker options. In the past we've chartered quite a bit with Dream Yacht Charters in the Caribbean and perhaps we'll use them again, but figured I'd post to see if anyone else has a recommendation. I think I'd prefer working directly with an established and well-regarded company that has their own boats, but MAY consider using a broker if that is the better way to go in this case. I'm just not familiar with most of the options that come up on a search so hesitant to use them without some 3rd party recommendations.

Also, in light of the ongoing COVID situation I am putting a premium on flexibility and operational strength/financial health of the company. I know there is only so much any company is able to do, but the more flexible the company is and the more they would be willing to work with us in a situation where increased regulations could materially affect our trip, the better - particularly on shorter notice. We are fully vaccinated and I would buy trip insurance, but still don't want to have a trip ruined or diminished due to quarantine requirements, curfews, etc...

Appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks!
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:30   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Charter Companies in Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnmatt View Post
We have been looking into a Croatia charter for next June - family of 5+1 on a ~42' cat for 2-3 weeks. I am getting ready to book but my head is spinning with all of the charter company/broker options. In the past we've chartered quite a bit with Dream Yacht Charters in the Caribbean and perhaps we'll use them again, but figured I'd post to see if anyone else has a recommendation. I think I'd prefer working directly with an established and well-regarded company that has their own boats, but MAY consider using a broker if that is the better way to go in this case. I'm just not familiar with most of the options that come up on a search so hesitant to use them without some 3rd party recommendations.

Also, in light of the ongoing COVID situation I am putting a premium on flexibility and operational strength/financial health of the company. I know there is only so much any company is able to do, but the more flexible the company is and the more they would be willing to work with us in a situation where increased regulations could materially affect our trip, the better - particularly on shorter notice. We are fully vaccinated and I would buy trip insurance, but still don't want to have a trip ruined or diminished due to quarantine requirements, curfews, etc...

Thanks!

Most charters will not compensate you against covid.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:35   #3

I would go with a decent German or Austrian Charter company, because they serve the local market and German are rather picky customers and they make up a good part of the tourist in Croatia. So you won't get many of the shenanigans you get with a company going for the US customer service experience. You could start looking for example at ADAC's site

If you're concerned about not being able to join, we usually got a charter insurance. There are many offers, here for example from Pantaenius. This solves many problems.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:39   #4
Nearly an old salt

There’s always Sunsail
Old 11-10-2021, 13:04   #5

I can't recommend "Pitter Yachting" highly enough. They are an Austrian company operating out of several different bases in Croatia. I would just recommend not choosing a yacht older than maybe 3 or 4 years. As you probably know, Croatia is increasingly becoming a travel destination for younger "party-type" crews, so the boats are used hard and often.

Regarding COVID: I booked with them this year (August) and they automatically added a COVID-insurance free of charge. There is more information on this on their website.
tb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 13:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraga View Post
I can't recommend "Pitter Yachting" highly enough.
+1 for Pitter. We chartered a few times with them (though monohulls in the 40' range) and always had a fair or good experience.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 14:01   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:

Thanks!
what you need, what yacht what area or town. we have 4500 yacht for rent.
don't watch company, all boat is similar.

ask me
type boat size, number cabin age of asking boat.
now is almost 70% boat booked for next year.
be more flexible in search.

i have login and database of all boat in all EU. But work only in Croatia.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 14:10   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

now i looked you have Price:
3.600 EUR - 36.500 EUR

around 260 catamaran is now free 4 cabin 4 toilet
11.06 to 18.06
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 04:32   #9

My recommendation:

Josko Poljak, Booking Director
Globe Yacht Charter
E: info@globeyachtcharter.com
E: josko@globeyachtcharter.com
M: +385 98 511 165
M: +1 305 20 30 960

I chartered a 2018 Lagoon 52F from Navigare Yachting in Croatia last year. We had many major and minor problems with the boat including quite a few electrical problems that prevented us from dropping anchor. Although Navigare Yachting turned out to be a terrible organization when it came to getting support and reimbursement for all the problems, Josko immediately offered paying for our dock fees out of his own pocket the first night (as we couldn't anchor) until we could contact Navigare and try to get support. He also helped us get support from Navigare (so we didn't have to continually call and leave voice mails). He also purchased in advance (again, out of his own pocket) a kitchen utensil that wasn't on the boat but we wanted to have.

I would absolutely use him again to find us the best deal and for support should issues arise. I would not ever again use Navigare.
b_ohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:56   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
+1 for Pitter. We chartered a few times with them (though monohulls in the 40' range) and always had a fair or good experience.
+1 = 2
A bit more expensive but definitively worth it.
Dirk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:20   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Most charters will not compensate you against covid.
I realize that we will not be protected in terms of us getting COVID and not being able to do the trip. We will purchase travel insurance for that and other issues that may arise. However, I have heard all sorts of stories about how different charter companies handled charters that they were not able to provide due to lockdowns and other COVID-related issues. Some were quite accommodating and issued a long-term credit while others were more limiting. Also, in my experience some charter companies tend to be a bit more compassionate when personal issues arise and cause changes in plans, while others are much more by-the-book. Ultimately, the contract states when the charter company is and isn't on the hook, but there are still companies that tend to be more willing to work with with you to try to come to a win-win. Those are the companies I prefer to work with whenever possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk01 View Post
+1 = 2
A bit more expensive but definitively worth it.
Three votes for Pitter - sounds like they might be worth a call.

Thanks all!
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 00:50   #12

Quote:
I think I'd prefer working directly with an established and well-regarded company that has their own boats,
https://www.charter.euromarine.com.hr/

Limited number of catamarans in offer, though.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 01:37   #13

Boat: Amel 50

Recommendation: Croatia Yacht Club, https://www.croatiayachtclub.com/

Chartered an Allures 45 for three weeks from them a few years ago, and was very happy with their service. They even delivered the boat from their base in Trogir to Zadar at the start of the charter, and collected it again at the end from Dubrovnik.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 02:00   #14

Boat: Hanse 430e

I have just spent a few months in Croatia aboard my own boat. The charter companies are doing a booming business. Charter boats are everywhere and loaded to the gills with people. I would not be too worried about their financial health. Something like 40% of the charter market is in Croatia. Saturday and Sunday at Marina Kastela is a ****-show of activity. Finding a mooring ball or place to tie up can be quite difficult as the charter fleet all goes out on the same day and takes the same spaces.
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 04:05   #15
Nearly an old salt

Ionian the same ,Charter business booming cats everywhere too

Tags
charter, Croatia