Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 06:51   #1

Concern Regarding Sailing the Adriatic in October

Hello,

Does anyone have knowledge of sailing in this area at this time of year?

My wife and I have booked a charter there for the end of season and are heading off next weekend for the last week of October. We were planning to sail from Dubrovnik to Mljet and back during the week we are there.

We love to sail but are aware that we have limited experience (day skipper tickets, a couple of previous charters, Greece and UK, plus a bit of weekend sailing with friends in the UK too). We have not yet sailed in particularly heavy conditions; maybe 25knots max in 27ft yacht.

We have booked a Jenneau 37 for the week and are taking our son and my father, neither of who have sailed before. Since booking this trip, we've been warned by a friend that the weather can be temperamental at this time of year.

We have read up on the Bora winds but would appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer regarding the conditions there.

Thanks - Steve.
vindyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2010, 17:36   #2

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Hi Steve. I sailed in Croatia from September to December 2005. That year the weather was still good until late November. Some of the long term cruisers we met there reckoned the middle of November was realistically the end of the season, as after that there were likely to be more bad days than good ones. Having said that, we experienced a storm in late September, and two more in November. Each time we dived into a marina for a couple of days until it passed, and I would advise you to do the same. You would be unlucky to experience a Bora but it is a possibility. Bora's tend to come down from the north and north-east; Istria, and particularly the Velebilt Canal. Where you are sailing you should have 24 hours notice to find shelter. Make sure you have good access to weather forecasts. The ACI Marinas post them daily, and there is a twice daily forecast on vhf, and navtex, if the boat is fitted with one.The most accurate weather forecasts I received were from ugrib, via GPRS; the only wifi was in the marinas, but that may well have changed by now.
It really is a beautiful cruising area, with some fabulous old towns and villages.
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 06:08   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I've been there in October very nice went from Dubrovnik to mljet to korcula nice no probs etc
Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2010, 06:17   #4

We had planned a similar route to the one that Dave did and will set off on this route when we arrive there. If the weather does turn for the worse, we'll take sobriyah's advice and keep out of it for a couple of days and revise our route accordingly.

Thank you both for your replies. It's been really useful to hear from people with first had experience of this area at the time of year that we plan to be sailing there.
Old 18-10-2010, 09:45   #5

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Steve,

On a 37 footer you could do Dubrovnic to Mjlet under engine in a day if you had to and I can understand you not wishing to worry your non sailing guests.

We spent the summer there in 2007 and I'm with the others in raving about the region and you'll find plenty of marinas and protected anchorages if it should blow up. I suggest if it looks to kick off for more than 24 hours you head for mainland as opposed to island marinas / anchorages simply as you'll find a bit more to see and do whilst you wait things out.

Enjoy - I'm jealous!

JOHN
Old 18-10-2010, 12:39   #6

Thanks John - any suggestions of places worth a visit on the mainland?

The pilot guide I've got advises that the islands are worth a visit but the mainland is a bit dreary. Would be good to know of any places we can bolt to if needed.
Old 18-10-2010, 16:35   #7

Boat: Oyster 485
Send a message via Skype™ to sobriyah
Hi Steve - I dont recall there being much of interest on the mainland between Dubrovnik and Split. We didn't stop on Mljet so cannot comment, not for any reason other than we ran out of time, but Lastovo was really very nice, and quiet. I am not sure you can tie up at Ubli overnight, but the lagoon at Skrivena Luka is very sheltered, with a couple of restaurants on the shore. Korcula town is also charming, with lots more to see and do, and has a marina, but both are a bit further than you are planning to go. I am sure your charter company will have some good suggestions for bolt holes. The 777 Guide is the best cruising guide, if you can get hold of a copy. Fair winds. Richard
sobriyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 01:27   #8

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Steve,
Richard gives good advice about studying the '777 Guide' before you go. It is a local (but in English) black and white printed pilot of the coastline and the 777 refers to the number of inhabited islands you can visit.
Remember revailing winds are from the N so going up takes twice as long as coming south!
If it were me and I had a week to get both from and back to Dubrovnik then my suggested itinery would give you some time ashore and provide a variety of experiences:
Day 1 - You will love the river based marina - but get a bus the 5 minutes it takes to get to the City and just explore Dubrovnik that evening aiming to leave next day.
Day 2 - Dubronvik to top inside edge of Jakljen Island. This means first day at sea is relatively short and ends with a deserted anchorage experience. Should help make it easy for your non sailing guests.
Day 3 - Jakljen to Korcula - dive between the islands to end up anchored in bay directly east of ACI marina and 5 minute walk into this lovely walled city - lots of classy restaurants and sites.
Day 4 - Review progress so far and if all happy - longish day sail to Split on mainland. Like a small Dubrovnik and buzzy. If no time or not happy, use the 777 to plan another stop heading back south. Or if weather is bad, consider a ferry to Split for day tour.
Day 5 - Downhill ride all the way to the top end of Mijlet. You'll find a big but sheltered bay inside east coast. Anchor or tie up to bayside restaurant jetties (freebie mooring if you eat). If weather bound you'll enjoy great walks to inland sea monastry through national woodlands. Beaut.
Day 6 - Mijlet to Dubrovnik - again usually downhill but you should find time to stop off on any bay on inside coatal island for lunch.
Day 7 - More time in Dubrovnik to swop stories.......
If you go to Google Earth you can find all these spots with pictures. Hope it helps.
JOHN

Tags
adriatic