Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 09:56   #1
cruiser

Cruising Guide Book for Greece and Permit Advice

It looks like we might be spending a few weeks this season cruising some of the western Greek islands. Which cruising guide books have worked out the best, providing the most up to date information regarding anchorages and marinas?

Can anyone please tell me the latest information about Greek cruising permits? I know it's been discussed on this forum, but has the policy gone into effect, and how much will it cost for our 16 meter boat to cruise Greece for a month?

We'll most likely spend most of 2017 in Greece, but looking to just get a taste of things this season.

Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 14:22   #2

Boat: X-Yachts Xc-50
Re: Cruising Guide Book for Greece and Permit Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It looks like we might be spending a few weeks this season cruising some of the western Greek islands. Which cruising guide books have worked out the best, providing the most up to date information regarding anchorages and marinas?

Can anyone please tell me the latest information about Greek cruising permits? I know it's been discussed on this forum, but has the policy gone into effect, and how much will it cost for our 16 meter boat to cruise Greece for a month?

We'll most likely spend most of 2017 in Greece, but looking to just get a taste of things this season.

Thanks

Ken
I like both the Heikell's and the Elias' as cruising guides for Greece. They are the "gold" standards for those waters. Elias gives more information, but it is not that easy to handle (big paper format, scattered information around many pages)
You need to get the Dekpa permit at the port of entry in Greece. It does not cost much (about 30euro for a 43' boat). The new tax that was planned last year has not been enforced.
bikesherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 21:48   #3

I vote Heikell's. If you are only sticking to the west, maybe his Ionian book will be a better buy. The next year you can buy his Greece book which may be upgraded between now and then.

I like the regional books because they are smaller and have more detail. I have several of the regionals and on my 2nd edition of the Greek book.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-05-2016, 04:19   #4

Boat: Hanse 575

I use Heikell's Ionian book. It's a manageable size and tells you all you need to know. I think it's on the 8th edition right now and is on Amazon. I have been using it the past couple of years and gives everything you need to know. The tax isn't being enforced. I just got back yesterday and was only asked for my DEKPA one time - in Eufimia, Keffalonia. The marina didn't even ask for it. I got mine in Gouvia a couple of years ago - the marina got it for me for a very small admin fee.
SD Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:24   #5
Marine Service Provider

Whilst Rod Heikell's 'Ionian' might be a more convenient size, his 'Greek Waters Pilot' actually has more information on the area and is more up to date as the new 12th Edition was only published last year (as opposed to the 8th Edition 'Ionian', which was published 2014). As an 'insider' I can tell you that there is no plan for a new edition of 'Greek Waters Pilot' or 'Ionian' this year.
craigshand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 15:06   #6

Boat: Helia44

We also suggest Rod Heikell's book(s). Last year we sailed the area you plan on visiting and 95% of the time it was accurate. However, for current information on specific places/issues, Google can't be beaten - wherever you go someone like-minded is bound to have been recently and anything controversial will be posted immediately. In Turkey we use mini modems from Turkcell and in Greece Cosmote, both provide complete coverage on the water - 3G and sometimes even 4G. About $80/month for 10 gigabytes which was enough for us to search pretty fast and good for weather, mail, FaceTime and Skype if you ever feel the need to check into the world back home. Generally had very little luck with free wifi although admittedly we don't go to many marinas. An iPad is pretty useful in cafes though.
Summersail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 16:19   #7

80 bucks a month for 10 G is a bit stiff. We paid 15 a month for 4G in Turkey plus a one time charge for the dongle. Greece was a bit more.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 16:26   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising Guide Book for Greece and Permit Advice

Hi Keno.. brought an Aussie flagged boat last September from Greece - Turkey - Greece - Malta.. was never asked for a permit..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 16:44   #9

Boat: Helia44

Hi Robert
yes, I stand corrected, it was 80 Turkish Lira, not Aussie dollars so that makes it about $40 for 10 Gig.

By the way, it was pretty funny the first time I heard it referred to as jiggies.
Summersail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 17:16   #10
cruiser

Thanks for all the great information so far. I'll be looking into both cruising guides, and that's good news on the cruising tax not being enforced.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 14:20   #11

Boat: Oyster 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks for all the great information so far. I'll be looking into both cruising guides, and that's good news on the cruising tax not being enforced.
A Dekpa only cost €30 (15m yacht). You can be asked for papers - we were last year in Sivota. Not all the Port Police have stock of a Dekpa - currently none in COrfu or Lefkas. So when you check in they give you a piece of paper saying you tried to get a Dekpa.
Be aware that Dekpa is pronounced Thekpa!
In the greater scheme of things better to have a Dekpa than get fined. Once bought it last indefinitely

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 02:08   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I think Rod Heikel's pilot is the very, I good have used it for many years . As i understand the document side is as follows - if your yacht is registered within the E U tax regime ( VAT ) then you apply for a Dekpa , if you fall outside of the E U , then you apply for a Transit log , neither are very expensive and seem to allow you varying periods of time . Be very sure to hand your transit log in to the local customs office when you either leave or lift your boat out for winter - the penalties are severe if you don't , I came across an Australian who had to pay Euro 7000.00 fine to cancel an existing Transit logic that had not been handed in or cancelled for over 2 x years .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2016, 04:59   #13

I recently purchased Heikell's Greek Waters Pilot. I will be sailing in Greece in September; I have read through some of it. I was impressed with the information. Its expensive, but definitely worth it!
Juch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2016, 02:10   #14
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Be aware, this year the procedures in Greece seem to have changed, at least for Dodocanese and Ciclades.

-in all of the islands whether it's an entry port or not, the coast guard is coming on board and asking to pass by their office with all documents. They all need to be original including the insurance. (until this year this wasn't the case at all)
-In Simi, we used to directly go into the harbour and park wherever we feeled comfortable. Now, the coast guard stops you nearby the at the entry (near the tower on the right hand side) and makes a preliminary control. Some boays have also asked to put on their Q flag. This wasn't the case before) After a short check , they allow you to go they decide, south or north of the port. They charge extra 5 or 10 euros for this procedure.
-because of reduction in staff, some entry ports are not anymore so, eg. Leros. So it might be better to re-check in advance.

One could have think that's because of refugee problems, but we haven't seen any at all in these islands since last November.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 22:51   #15

The port police have Dekpa in Sayaida. The officer based there (Kostas) seemed like a really nice guy and was very helpful. I have been there three times this year was asked for boat papers on two occasions. It may be because they are so close to Albania. Was charge 35 Euro for the Dekpa, which is a standard fee (27 Jaguar) Kostas said the crusing fee will be implemented once charges have been agreed and said all boats will charged, not only those above 10m. He implied there would be a sliding scale depending on boat length. I hope this helps.
Flaps40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Greece, permit