Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2011, 14:01   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
The good news is no you don't need to register it in France, however, it is good form to fly the French Courtesy flag when your in French waters. Quite how you are going to do this on an 11 foot inflatable I'm not sure, perhaps a flag pole.

Actually we fly the Brittany courtesy flag when in France, but the good news is they don't shoot you if you forget.

Flags - Chandlery - Page 2 - Piplers of Poole

Pete

Hi Pete
Goodie, that is great news, I knew I should also fly the French Flag, but was not sure if I had to only fly that one. I would ratehr only fly that one but oh well better not let my hubby hear me saying that
I would darely love the Breton Flag. I will have a flag pole even on this little thing lol. Its well equipped I must say with everything needed for a regular size boat I will have on this thing. So I will check the link and if I cna get the small flags it will be super. I was at the boat show in Düsseldorf but they were completely out of French flags

So should I fly the French or Breton flag below the German or the German below and French or Breton on top? Do you suggest the Breton or the French? I cant put three cuz the pole will be only 1.5 tall.

Those flags seem quite large for a small boat. I had seen some cute ones at teh boat fair like 20x30. I will see if I can locate the company who was there and see if they got them in stock. You guys are so great to help me. Thanks
portcorjeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 14:45   #32

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
Quote:
Originally Posted by portcorjeau View Post
Since I reside in Germany I am not allowed to get a VHF unless I take the VHF course here in Germany and this cant be obtained until I get my Sea and Lake and River License which will be next year I hope. I will keep both cell phones charged and accessible should we need help.

My boat will be registered in Germany with a German flag, do I still need to register it in France and fly a French Flag?
The German registering is enough. When in French waters, you just have to display a French courtesy flag in addition to the German ensign.

Quote:
To call Cross Corsen we are using our German phone so do we dial 0033-1616 to reach for help should this be?
When you are in France, you should just dial the French number. So, 1616 should be enough.
Quote:

Should I also have Signal flags, if so which ones and how do I find them.
Since your boat is German-registered, you must comply with German regulations, which I don't know (I can't read German any more, I forgot almost all that I learnt in high school). French boats must carry signal flags C (Charlie) and N (November), because November over Charlie is a distress signal (useless but mandatory).

Quote:
We have an Iphone with updated information like gps system as well as tidal information on a database. It also has a compass, but I will still have another one on the boat. However, i will still take maps along and charts and will contain them in a waterproof boat container, I found some online especially for this purpose. I may have the chart laminated at a copy shop to protect it if this is also possible.
I don't recommend laminating nautical charts, because it would probably make it difficult to write with a pencil on them. Note that French "L" series are printed on water-resisting paper. I insist that a clear cover to protect the chart in use from spray and rain would be the best solution: in an area that you are not familiar with, you need to have the chart at hand at all times, not put away in a container.

Quote:
I intend to do practice training of the charts as soon as I get them. Having a little problem locating Chart No. 1, nobody over seems to understand what I want. I also found Imray charts C35 and C36, are they the same as the Admiralty charts 1432 and 3229?
Next week, I should be able to e-mail you the French equivalent of Chart No. 1. Presently, I can't download it from SHOM website but I have the file at the office.
Imray chart C35 (scale 1/75000) covers the area "Baie de Morlaix to L'Aber-Ildut"; Admiralty chart 1432 (scale 1/25000) covers the smaller area "Le Four to Ile Vierge", see The Sea Chest Nautical Bookshop 1432 Le Four to Ile Vierge
Imray chart C36 (scale 1/80000) covers the area "Ile d'Ouessant to Raz de Sein"; Admiralty chart (scale 1/22500) 3429 only covers the "Rade de Brest", see The Sea Chest Nautical Bookshop 3429 Rade de Brest: Riviere du Faou

To have a look at Admiralty charts, I suggest that you refer to this web site: Admiralty Sea Charts | Imray charts in the UK | Sea Chest | Home Page

Quote:
You suggest the south side of the bay as a good place to anchor and swim. Is it possible to give me a name of the area so that possible we can launch from there as well?
I suppose that you carry your boat on a trailer and you need a ramp for launching. There are ramps in L'Auberlac'h, Tinduff and Logonna-Daoulas. You can find these places on Google Maps, for example.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 15:01   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
The German registering is enough. When in French waters, you just have to display a French courtesy flag in addition to the German ensign.

When you are in France, you should just dial the French number. So, 1616 should be enough.

Since your boat is German-registered, you must comply with German regulations, which I don't know (I can't read German any more, I forgot almost all that I learnt in high school). French boats must carry signal flags C (Charlie) and N (November), because November over Charlie is a distress signal (useless but mandatory).

I don't recommend laminating nautical charts, because it would probably make it difficult to write with a pencil on them. Note that French "L" series are printed on water-resisting paper. I insist that a clear cover to protect the chart in use from spray and rain would be the best solution: in an area that you are not familiar with, you need to have the chart at hand at all times, not put away in a container.

Next week, I should be able to e-mail you the French equivalent of Chart No. 1. Presently, I can't download it from SHOM website but I have the file at the office.
Imray chart C35 (scale 1/75000) covers the area "Baie de Morlaix to L'Aber-Ildut"; Admiralty chart 1432 (scale 1/25000) covers the smaller area "Le Four to Ile Vierge", see The Sea Chest Nautical Bookshop 1432 Le Four to Ile Vierge
Imray chart C36 (scale 1/80000) covers the area "Ile d'Ouessant to Raz de Sein"; Admiralty chart (scale 1/22500) 3429 only covers the "Rade de Brest", see The Sea Chest Nautical Bookshop 3429 Rade de Brest: Riviere du Faou

To have a look at Admiralty charts, I suggest that you refer to this web site: Admiralty Sea Charts | Imray charts in the UK | Sea Chest | Home Page

I suppose that you carry your boat on a trailer and you need a ramp for launching. There are ramps in L'Auberlac'h, Tinduff and Logonna-Daoulas. You can find these places on Google Maps, for example.

Alain

Ok, I will wait for your email on monday, you can also email it to me I will send the email via pm if you like. I will just get the original maps you said to get of the bay, that is really all I want and the ones to L'Aber Wra'ch. On Admiralty I saw two mapy the 7094 and the 7094L was not sure what the L meant.

No trailer, we will have front and back launch wheels tho. I wont laminate the map and will get the French one, I just dont know how to order in French that is the problem, but they are significantly CHEAPER in France than they are in Germany and the UK by 8 Euros a piece and more from the UK site. Will the No. 1 chart be in French as well or will it be standardized in English? I cant read French "YET" Taking classes but it wont help me now.

What dose Charlie mean? I will just comply with French regulations cuz I will be in French waters and not German waters. I just found this link which I found on a US site, it shows all the flags, at least in the US, but what a bunch of heehaw this is. I did find the C and N flags and also the CD also shows distress, I guess that is really the only ones a person should need not so? http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/flags.htm.

I guess you are right, I may only have to dial 1616. Because I had dialed a number meant for germany and I reached someone in Paris. So that is perfect.
Old 19-02-2011, 04:54   #34

Quote:
I will just get the original maps you said to get of the bay, that is really all I want and the ones to L'Aber Wra'ch. On Admiralty I saw two mapy the 7094 and the 7094L was not sure what the L meant.
"L" (as in 7094L) stands for "Leisure" and means that the chart is printed on water-resisting (strong but NOT waterproof!) paper and sold folded in A4 (219x297mm) format. I strongly recommend that you get L series charts, much more convenient for using on a small boat.
The British equivalent "SC" (standing for "small craft) series are also sold folded but are printed on a much thinner paper (I didn't really test water resistance last summer).
Quote:
No trailer, we will have front and back launch wheels tho.
Then, I understand that you will inflate the boat each time you launch. However, a ramp will be much more convenient than a beach for launching.
Quote:
I wont laminate the map and will get the French one, I just dont know how to order in French that is the problem, but they are significantly CHEAPER in France than they are in Germany and the UK by 8 Euros a piece and more from the UK site.
The SHOM website mentions the following sources for ordering their charts:
www.librairie-maritime.com
index2011
Librairie Maritime Eau Bleue | Accueil
ACCASTILLAGE DIFFUSION : réseau shipchandler n°1 pour équiper et entretenir votre bateau
Proship Marine accastillage - Equipements et matériels nautiques - accueil
Riviera Charts

Quote:
Will the No. 1 chart be in French as well or will it be standardized in English? I cant read French "YET" Taking classes but it wont help me now.
The French equivalent to Chart No 1 is bilingual French & English.

You can also download the US version of Chart No 1 from here:
Maritime Safety Information
Quote:
What dose Charlie mean?
In this context, Charlie means the letter "C" in the standard alphabet for radiocommunication
Quote:
I will just comply with French regulations cuz I will be in French waters and not German waters. I just found this link which I found on a US site, it shows all the flags, at least in the US, but what a bunch of heehaw this is. I did find the C and N flags and also the CD also shows distress, I guess that is really the only ones a person should need not so? International Code Flags or Signaling Flags - BoatSafe.com.
CD doesn't mean "Distress" but "Request for immediate assistance". This is more that a subtle difference.
For example, if a float of your boat is punctured and leaking air and the engine doesn't start (so that you can't reach the shore quickly), you need immediate assistance. If your boat is sinking, you are in distress.
In France, it is mandatory to have N and C flags onboard but nobody uses them anymore, because flares are much more effective. Other flags are not necessary. On an inflatable without a mast, they are useless anyway.

Some of these signals are still used today by naval and merchant ships.

Alain
Old 19-02-2011, 05:31   #35

Quote:
"L" (as in 7094L) stands for "Leisure" and means that the chart is printed on water-resisting (strong but NOT waterproof!) paper and sold folded in A4 (219x297mm) format. I strongly recommend that you get L series charts, much more convenient for using on a small boat.
The British equivalent "SC" (standing for "small craft) series are also sold folded but are printed on a much thinner paper (I didn't really test water resistance last summer).

Then, I understand that you will inflate the boat each time you launch. However, a ramp will be much more convenient than a beach for launching.

The SHOM website mentions the following sources for ordering their charts:
www.librairie-maritime.com
index2011
Librairie Maritime Eau Bleue | Accueil
ACCASTILLAGE DIFFUSION : réseau shipchandler n°1 pour équiper et entretenir votre bateau
Proship Marine accastillage - Equipements et matériels nautiques - accueil
Riviera Charts

The French equivalent to Chart No 1 is bilingual French & English.

You can also download the US version of Chart No 1 from here:
Maritime Safety Information

In this context, Charlie means the letter "C" in the standard alphabet for radiocommunication

CD doesn't mean "Distress" but "Request for immediate assistance". This is more that a subtle difference.
For example, if a float of your boat is punctured and leaking air and the engine doesn't start (so that you can't reach the shore quickly), you need immediate assistance. If your boat is sinking, you are in distress.
In France, it is mandatory to have N and C flags onboard but nobody uses them anymore, because flares are much more effective. Other flags are not necessary. On an inflatable without a mast, they are useless anyway.

Some of these signals are still used today by naval and merchant ships.

Alain

Ok, I understand the difference in CD and NC now. I will carry those with me. Is this Bay quite well travelled by all types of boats in end of July all of August usually?
What is the number for the French Chart 1? I saw the link to the US Chart 1. Are the basically the same with regards to accuracy of aids to navigation? If so, then I may just get that and forget buying this book for 80 euros. If not, what is the French equivalent for Chart 1? And I will get the L series. I did see them at the Boat Expo here recently, but was not sure which to get.
I have been looking at the bay of Biscay where Brest is located from Google. That is one very deep bay. There seems to be a lot of sandbanks as well. The area by Doualas you mentioned seems quite murky and not really a white sandy beach. But then again, most of Brest seems this way, its not really a popular bathing area I suppose. Also saw many boats anchored in many locations on the south arm of the bay. I just wondered if that was only boats that are permanently anchored there or people anchoring to swim? There is an arm tha runs up the back going towards where the Navy has some big ships hidden more or less, is that off limits? I also noticed no Locks in the Elorn River under the bridge and on up. Could be they were not visible from google. I dont want to mess with Locks at all. Also saw that Camaret Sur Mer is supposed to be in an ultra protected harbor. How can that be when they are in one of the most dangerous parts of the Biscay bay?
Old 19-02-2011, 07:41   #36

Quote:
Ok, I understand the difference in CD and NC now. I will carry those with me.
In fact, you just have to carry NC. In case of an emergency, don't bother with flags, just call CROSS Corsen (dial 1616 on your mobile), they will direct nearby boats to your assistance by VHF. In case of distress, pop a flare and call CROSS Corsen. N & C signal flags are mandatory but useless.

Quote:
Is this Bay quite well travelled by all types of boats in end of July all of August usually?
Yes, in good weather, there are many boats in the bay, especially in summer.

Quote:
What is the number for the French Chart 1? I saw the link to the US Chart 1. Are the basically the same with regards to accuracy of aids to navigation? If so, then I may just get that and forget buying this book for 80 euros. If not, what is the French equivalent for Chart 1?
The French equivalent to Chart No 1 is "Ouvrage 1D - Symboles et abréviations figurant sur les cartes marines françaises"; reference is 001DNOA. It used to be accessible for download here SHOM - Service Hydrographique et Ocanographique de la Marine - Informations nautiques, cartes marines pour navigation but it doesn't work presently. I should be able to e-mail the file to you on Monday.
Yes, all nautical charts are now edited to the same international standards. You really don't need to buy a book now.

Quote:
I have been looking at the bay of Biscay where Brest is located from Google. That is one very deep bay. There seems to be a lot of sandbanks as well. The area by Doualas you mentioned seems quite murky and not really a white sandy beach. But then again, most of Brest seems this way, its not really a popular bathing area I suppose.
The banks around Daoulas are mostly mud and gravel. There is a beach just east of Moulin Blanc marina but it's not really pleasant. For bathing, people generally go elsewhere, on beaches facing directly the open ocean.

Quote:
Also saw many boats anchored in many locations on the south arm of the bay. I just wondered if that was only boats that are permanently anchored there or people anchoring to swim?
These are permanent moorings (a big block of concrete linked to a buoy by a length of chain).

Quote:
There is an arm tha runs up the back going towards where the Navy has some big ships hidden more or less, is that off limits?
Navy areas are off limits, of course. This includes Brest naval base, Île Longue (the base for French SSBN, in the SW of the bay) and "Ecole Navale" (Naval Academy), in the south of the bay, close to Lanvéoc.

But Aulne river (in the SE of the bay) is fully open to navigation.

Quote:
I also noticed no Locks in the Elorn River under the bridge and on up. Could be they were not visible from google. I dont want to mess with Locks at all.
There are no locks in Elorn, up to Landerneau, where there is a dam.
There is a lock in Aulne, before Port Launay. But it is well worth motoring up to there.

Quote:
Also saw that Camaret Sur Mer is supposed to be in an ultra protected harbor. How can that be when they are in one of the most dangerous parts of the Biscay bay?
Don't confuse danger at sea and protection in the harbor: there are many harbors that you can't enter in rough weather but that give really good shelter inside. But Camaret isn't difficult: you can see that the harbor entrance is open to the east.

Alain
Old 19-02-2011, 08:19   #37

Quote:
In fact, you just have to carry NC. In case of an emergency, don't bother with flags, just call CROSS Corsen (dial 1616 on your mobile), they will direct nearby boats to your assistance by VHF. In case of distress, pop a flare and call CROSS Corsen. N & C signal flags are mandatory but useless.

Yes, in good weather, there are many boats in the bay, especially in summer.

The French equivalent to Chart No 1 is "Ouvrage 1D - Symboles et abréviations figurant sur les cartes marines françaises"; reference is 001DNOA. It used to be accessible for download here SHOM - Service Hydrographique et Ocanographique de la Marine - Informations nautiques, cartes marines pour navigation but it doesn't work presently. I should be able to e-mail the file to you on Monday.
Yes, all nautical charts are now edited to the same international standards. You really don't need to buy a book now.

The banks around Daoulas are mostly mud and gravel. There is a beach just east of Moulin Blanc marina but it's not really pleasant. For bathing, people generally go elsewhere, on beaches facing directly the open ocean.

These are permanent moorings (a big block of concrete linked to a buoy by a length of chain).

Navy areas are off limits, of course. This includes Brest naval base, Île Longue (the base for French SSBN, in the SW of the bay) and "Ecole Navale" (Naval Academy), in the south of the bay, close to Lanvéoc.

But Aulne river (in the SE of the bay) is fully open to navigation.

There are no locks in Elorn, up to Landerneau, where there is a dam.
There is a lock in Aulne, before Port Launay. But it is well worth motoring up to there.

Don't confuse danger at sea and protection in the harbor: there are many harbors that you can't enter in rough weather but that give really good shelter inside. But Camaret isn't difficult: you can see that the harbor entrance is open to the east.

Alain

I know the areas of Brest is not the best for bathing, but because I was going there to boat and fish mainly, I was just thinking to jump over board and take a dunk in the water now and then if its hot outside. Not really wanting to lay out on a beach. I will go to lay out on the beaches where swimming is allowed, its just that I would Imagine for example Concaneau, locturdy etc., you cant go boating there near the shore. Hence my asking about the possibilities to dunk in the water in Brest. Camaret is beautiful, so is all of the Crozon Penn but not suitable for a small boat. Now if I can take this little boat and put it in a relative distance from shore in at the more beautiful beaches, that would be a dream, but then again. The currents in the open sea are too risky for me. I am goning to download the US Navi Aids now and see what they look like. If you have the possibility to get the other one for me, that would be super.

I just tried to download the US version, its only two pages and not much information really. Am I mssing something?

Are you from Brittany Alain?
Thanks
Old 19-02-2011, 09:29   #38

In fact, it is possible to drive a motor boat close to shore around Concarneau and Loctudy: areas reserved for swimmers are cordoned off by yellow buoys. However, be very careful in these areas, for there are also rocks close to shore.

To downolad the full US Chart No 1, just go to this page Maritime Safety Information and click on "Chart No. 1 (36 MB)", then follow the instructions. You will get a zip file, to be expanded in the usual way. I just tested, it works.

I was born in Brest, my parents still live there.

Alain
Old 19-02-2011, 10:17   #39

Quote:
In fact, it is possible to drive a motor boat close to shore around Concarneau and Loctudy: areas reserved for swimmers are cordoned off by yellow buoys. However, be very careful in these areas, for there are also rocks close to shore.

To downolad the full US Chart No 1, just go to this page Maritime Safety Information and click on "Chart No. 1 (36 MB)", then follow the instructions. You will get a zip file, to be expanded in the usual way. I just tested, it works.

I was born in Brest, my parents still live there.

Alain

I am unable to download this file past page two. I have no idea why, but it will only permit me to gt two pages, so irritating

Ok, since I may put a boat in these calm or nice waters, are you speaking of rocks like that of Menaham and Kerlouan area or are you speaking of Rocks like Pen Hir? Because as you know, my boat is inflatable keel and no hard bottom. If rocks like Kerlouan area then which Navi map should I get for that section of Brittany and will the maps show the rocks? That is one bad part of inflatables ............Rocks

Ok, its no wonder you are so filled of info like a databank. I appreciate finding you, I can tell you that cuz I would surely have been dead come August. I tried and tried to get this info from all the various tourist centers and none was able to help me. So I decided to try to find a forum where someone may have some idea of the area. Thanks for taking so much time to help me.
Old 19-02-2011, 11:04   #40

Quote:
I am unable to download this file past page two. I have no idea why, but it will only permit me to gt two pages
I think you do not click in the right place. Do NOT click on "Download". Either click on "Chart No. 1 (36 MB)", for downloading the full document, or on the little square to the right of "Covers (2 MB)", to select the part you want to obtain.

Quote:
Ok, since I may put a boat in these calm or nice waters, are you speaking of rocks like that of Menaham and Kerlouan area or are you speaking of Rocks like Pen Hir?
Rocks (reefs) like Kerlouan, covered with some water, depending on the tide.

Quote:
If rocks like Kerlouan area then which Navi map should I get for that section of Brittany and will the maps show the rocks? That is one bad part of inflatables ............Rocks

For a general view of the area:
7146L De la Pointe de Penmarc'h à la Pointe de Trévignon

For detail information:
6646L Abords et Ports du Guilvinec et de Lesconil
6649L Anse de Bénodet - Ports de Bénodet et de Loctudy
6650L Abords et port de Concarneau - Baie de la Forêt

Also get a tide table for this area (to be purchased locally, available at any bookshop or newsagent).

Quote:
I tried and tried to get this info from all the various tourist centers and none was able to help me.
The tourist centers are not set up for providing information to yachtsmen and -women. Experienced people use "pilot books" or "cruising guides". You add difficulties by wanting to learn how to drive a boat in an unknown and foreign area.

For the bay of Brest, you could try the contacts at the bottom of this page: Brest.fr -*Nautisme

Alain
Old 19-02-2011, 15:18   #41

Quote:
I think you do not click in the right place. Do NOT click on "Download". Either click on "Chart No. 1 (36 MB)", for downloading the full document, or on the little square to the right of "Covers (2 MB)", to select the part you want to obtain.

Rocks (reefs) like Kerlouan, covered with some water, depending on the tide.

For a general view of the area:
7146L De la Pointe de Penmarc'h à la Pointe de Trévignon

For detail information:
6646L Abords et Ports du Guilvinec et de Lesconil
6649L Anse de Bénodet - Ports de Bénodet et de Loctudy
6650L Abords et port de Concarneau - Baie de la Forêt

Also get a tide table for this area (to be purchased locally, available at any bookshop or newsagent).

The tourist centers are not set up for providing information to yachtsmen and -women. Experienced people use "pilot books" or "cruising guides". You add difficulties by wanting to learn how to drive a boat in an unknown and foreign area.

For the bay of Brest, you could try the contacts at the bottom of this page: Brest.fr -*Nautisme

Alain

Its Insane, isnt it? But you have helped me termendously. When I get there, if I am not comfortable with anything. I just wont do it. But at least I have a head start and will be more trained on lakes and rivers here before i come there. If there is anything I am not feeling good about. I just wont do it. Wont take chances. I am too much of a coward.
Old 22-02-2011, 23:41   #42

Boat: twinkeels, 9m
Re: Cruising in Brittany and South West Coast of France in Spring / Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Pim View Post
We're planning on going over to France this spring - first stop Trebeurden and then making our way round and down the south west coast. Can you give us suggestions of good places to stay and anchor and tips on what to do and not to do! I've read the previous thread on Brittany - all very helpful - thanks! We have a 42ft Moody and draw 1.4m.

Louise
hi Louise,

I'm french, living on south coast near Lorient.
after the famous "Pointe du Raz" and dangerous "Raz de Sein" in bad conditions, sailing on south coast is much quieter, weather less "tonic" , charming islands, calm rivers
may be this book ? http://www.imray.com/record.cfm?i_stock_code=IB0162

contact me for further details
bil
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 01:24   #43

Thanks, Bil.

I do have some books on the area and am doing some research but local knowledge is always so useful.

We have heard that things can get rather chaotic in the marinas in the summer months so we are looking for alternatives and a "Plan B"! I have a book on anchorages in Brittany, but any information you can give us on quieter places to go would be very helpful.

We have found the Harbour Master at Vannes very helpful and quick to respond. We have booked a slot there for the winter. It looks like a lively, interesting place.

Regards,

Louise
Mippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 02:14   #44

Boat: twinkeels, 9m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Pim View Post
Thanks, Bil.

I do have some books on the area and am doing some research but local knowledge is always so useful.

We have heard that things can get rather chaotic in the marinas in the summer months so we are looking for alternatives and a "Plan B"! I have a book on anchorages in Brittany, but any information you can give us on quieter places to go would be very helpful.

We have found the Harbour Master at Vannes very helpful and quick to respond. We have booked a slot there for the winter. It looks like a lively, interesting place.

Regards,

Louise

my opinion, do not miss
Benodet, up the river Odet, not up to Quimper but a few miles
Concarneau and its old walled city
just opposite the Islands Glénan, full of lovely anchorages
Aven river, to rise slowly with the tidal stream and land along the quays of the old city of painters
Belon river for tasting seafoods !
Doelan, charming port
Rade de Lorient, several marinas, Kernevel, Port Louis, Locmiquélic (my marina), Lorient, always places in summer
Groix island, walks on foot, Port-Tudy pretty full in summer, Locmaria anchorage
Belle-Ile: the pearl, beautiful anchorages and ports, many people in summer (preferring the inner basin of Le Palais if a few days)
Houat Hoedic, Quiberon, La Trinité
the marvellous Gulf of Morbihan, hundreds of islands, the mains Ile aux Moines and Ile d'Arz, many anchorages, strong currents but not really dangerous
Vannes old city and very welcoming harbor where often english boats wintering, I confirm
(for different ports managed by the SAGEMOR very welcome in general, possibility of reservation http://www.sagemor.fr/)

bil...
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 02:34   #45

Thanks, Bil, for your latest information. I can't see it on this thread but I had a message in my email inbox that you had sent a reply.

All the places you mention sound lovely. It would be nice to meet up when we come over if we are in your area.

Cheers,

Louise and Jon
Mippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, France, france