Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2020, 05:45   #16
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Cruising Norway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Navionics, with the comments and information supplied by recent users, was a better guide for us than the books listed above. Their charts were also excellent for the area and we never found any dangerous inaccuracies. They're based on the Norwegian gov charts (all available for free on their Yellow Pages https://kart.gulesider.no) so you can compare in tight areas, but again, they were identical in all that we saw.

While there was some useful information in the cruising guides- so I would recommend buying them- the area is changing too rapidly and even a few years old data isn't too helpful.

We tried a few of the suggested fishing/commercial harbours that the guidebook said we're free only a few years ago, but either got turned away or had to pay marina type fees without any services.

They also suggested anchorages that are now fish farms or filled with moorings. *Check Google sat view for fish farms before heading out of your way to an anchorage.

The Harbour guide app was helpful along with the marina payment app (gomarina app).

Marina fees are around $20-30 a night (USD).

Matt
Matt,
I've watched many of your videos during the pandemic and want to thank you. I'll do it proper on Patreon soon :-)

You guys are a true inspiration for me in regards to cruising Norway. It's all I can think about when dreaming about sailing (well, Greece also). How well do you think a 56' catamaran would do there? I'm thinking that we would go up the US coast next spring to Newfoundland and cross over to Ireland. Then overwinter in the British Isles then head up in 2022.

Good luck with your catamaran build.
David - another Michigander from Kalamazoo.
Old 17-05-2020, 14:19   #17

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Matt,
I've watched many of your videos during the pandemic and want to thank you. I'll do it proper on Patreon soon :-)

You guys are a true inspiration for me in regards to cruising Norway. It's all I can think about when dreaming about sailing (well, Greece also). How well do you think a 56' catamaran would do there? I'm thinking that we would go up the US coast next spring to Newfoundland and cross over to Ireland. Then overwinter in the British Isles then head up in 2022.

Good luck with your catamaran build.
David - another Michigander from Kalamazoo.

Thanks David.

Happy to trade boats to make life easier for you

In theory every marina we saw could accommodate your boat. The issue is that 90% of the marinas are not manned by any staff- you pay by credit card on an app- so nobody is there to regulate where boats berth. It's first come, first served, and everyone takes the easy to access tee docks... and unfortunately space themselves out inefficiently.

But I guess you have a pretty large tender. Most of the marked anchorages anywhere close to civilization are filled with moorings, fish farms or other boats. If you're willing to take the tender a few miles to get into town, you should be able to avoid the marinas completely.... but the town's marina are a great place to met awesome locals.

My advice for Norway is to get North as quick as possible and work your way South over the remaining season. This was what everyone told us to do beforehand, but instead we entered close to Bergen, struggled to work our way North and then struggled back down again. It's a lot like the Med- either no wind or too much straight on the nose.

I don't know if you remember way back to 2016, but you gave us an Icom SSB and a Weatherfax. The Icom had an issue that I couldn't diagnose so we gave it to a local in the Bahamas, but the weatherfax has been a great addition. Thanks again for the kindness

Matt
Old 17-05-2020, 16:12   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

No kidding! I remember the SSB but didn't put it together with you. That's why you knew someone in GR! If you by chance need an Iridium 9555 you are welcome to it, but the battery might be bad as it hasn't been used in 8 years.

Thanks again for providing so many days of educational entertainment. I just told my wife and she was "No effin way". Well, it's a small world for sailors. Thanks for the advice.
Old 17-05-2020, 18:59   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

'dockhead

I'll make a case for sailing around Scotland and then coming back through the Caledonia Canal - this has to be one of the most phenomenal sails of the world. You can use two weeks on the canal - and you should spend every single day of those two weeks.

The scenery is beyond superlatives and the Scots are more than friendly. The scotch isn't bad either

Make that swing then cross to the Faroes and come back down the west side of Sweden

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 05:27   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

TIL about: Bear Island, Svalbard, Norway:
Lying halfway between Svalbard and the Norwegian mainland, Bear Island is only home to about four people, who work on the meteorological station. The first of the Svalbard islands to be discovered, by Dutch explorer Willem Barentsz, Bear Island also boasts the archipelago’s oldest house, built in 1822.
https://www.spitsbergen-svalbard.com.../bjornoya.html

Anyone cruise there?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 07:53   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
'dockhead

I'll make a case for sailing around Scotland and then coming back through the Caledonia Canal - this has to be one of the most phenomenal sails of the world. You can use two weeks on the canal - and you should spend every single day of those two weeks.

The scenery is beyond superlatives and the Scots are more than friendly. The scotch isn't bad either

Make that swing then cross to the Faroes and come back down the west side of Sweden

Too far! I need to get back to work!

We are already sailing in the Limfjord in Denmark, having made landfall in Thyborøn after a long sail from the very tip of the Shetlands at Muckle Flugga, about 400 miles. Hoping to get as far as Helsingør before bad weather sets in later this week.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Norway