Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 05:59   #1

Boat: Beneteau 47.7
Denia Spain

Hi All -
Some advice would be good from anyone who has experienced or has any great ideas -
We have sailed our yacht from the UK and now wintering in the Beautiful town of Cartegena in Spain where the climate is very good for the winter.
We are not retired so have limited time on the boat when the summer season starts again so planning on sailing around Mallorca, Ibizia, Menorca and Formentera. Given the above places are limited mooring space and expensive we would be looking to moor on the Spanish coast and then hoping to the islands at chosen dates in the year.
Would Denia provide this experience give the 55NM distance to Ibizia?
Is Denia sheltered from strong winds and a good marina in peoples view?
Any other options as we are exploring all options at present...
Many thanks

Nick
Tomtom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:38   #2

Re: Denia Spain

Hi Nick,

for sure depends on how fast you 'normally are' under engine / sail. If you do 7-8kn average I would say distance is no problem.

If you are much slower you will sacrifice more holiday time for the transfers ...

Do not know Denia myself so can not help here.

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:41   #3

Thanks Carsten -
We are 14.5M so can do minimum of 7.5 Knots under normal conditions and more under sail so that passage would not be a problem.
Many thanks

Nick
Old 04-01-2016, 06:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Denia is a lovely area.. however anywhere between there and Barcelona is fit for purpose..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Approach is easy, however do take care of the very large ferry that runs to Mallorca which needs alot of space to manoeuvure. Keep a close eye on depth in this harbour.

The harbour is well protected. There are visitors' berths managed by Marina de Denia (on the port side immediately as you enter the harbour) and the Club Nautico de Denia in the southern end of the port much closer to town. The government operated berths (El Portet) are in the new facility at the northern end.

From Noonsite ➥ Denia —

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Sp...sions-of-denia

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

You may get more replies (from people who are / have been there) of you post your question in the Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean forum.

You can ask a moderator to move your thread by clicking the button below your avatar.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:46   #7

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom39 View Post
Hi All -
Some advice would be good from anyone who has experienced or has any great ideas -
We have sailed our yacht from the UK and now wintering in the Beautiful town of Cartegena in Spain where the climate is very good for the winter.
We are not retired so have limited time on the boat when the summer season starts again so planning on sailing around Mallorca, Ibizia, Menorca and Formentera. Given the above places are limited mooring space and expensive we would be looking to moor on the Spanish coast and then hoping to the islands at chosen dates in the year.
Would Denia provide this experience give the 55NM distance to Ibizia?
Is Denia sheltered from strong winds and a good marina in peoples view?
Any other options as we are exploring all options at present...
Many thanks

Nick
I know well all those places and what you say seem not make much sense to me. Yes marinas are very expensive on Baleares and many anchorages are crowded but there is still many places where you can stay on anchor safely and some not too much expensive marinas were you can go for water and fuel.

There are many big anchorages on those Islands and only the smaller ones tend to get full. On places like Mahon, Formentera (beach on the SE), Ibiza (out of the Port), Porto Colom, Fornells, Palma bay, Polença, Alcudia, Sant Antoni de Portmani, Illa Conillera, Porto Addaia, Es Grau or Porto Soller you will find always a place to stay on anchor for the night.

Many of the boats stay on some of those places for the day but go to a marina at night.

If your boat is not big, say more than 40ft, you can also try to book a place for some days on the little marina of Fornells. Not that expensive and one of the most beautiful place on those Islands. But for that you have to book now, assuming they have some yet (only a handful of places for bigger boats).

Club Nàutic Fornells
https://www.marinanow.com/marinas/690/fornells-marina/3

You can also stay there safely on anchor no matter the wind direction.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19   #8

Thanks Polux
Our yacht is 47 feet long and my thinking was having a permanant base in mainland spain and this is where I would keep my boat when not using. For holidays we would then fly to the boat and sail to one of the lovely islands and spend 2 weeks of holiday sailing around!
The anchorages will be used around mallorca as we normally sit at anchor but we need to find a base - our yacht is a Beneteau 47.7 and makes good speed so covering the 60 miles from Denia to Ibizia seems to make sense but still trying to work it out!
Many thanks for all replies

Nick
Old 04-01-2016, 17:32   #9

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomtom39 View Post
Thanks Polux
Our yacht is 47 feet long and my thinking was having a permanant base in mainland spain and this is where I would keep my boat when not using. For holidays we would then fly to the boat and sail to one of the lovely islands and spend 2 weeks of holiday sailing around!
The anchorages will be used around mallorca as we normally sit at anchor but we need to find a base - our yacht is a Beneteau 47.7 and makes good speed so covering the 60 miles from Denia to Ibizia seems to make sense but still trying to work it out!
Many thanks for all replies

Nick
Sorry, did not understood what you wanted. I am retired now and with all the time to sail but when I was working I sailed almost every year from Portugal to the Balearic Islands for passing the holidays there.

60nm is nothing, not much more than the 85nm from Alicante and Alicante is a much nicer town and marina. A bit like Cartagena, with the marina on the town center (even more) but on an older and even nicer town. Well not really older since Cartagena was a main port from Carthage, but it looks older.

Nothing wrong with Denia, but it is just a summer town without the charm of Alicante.

Why don't you rent a car and go exploring the possibilities?

Cartagena is a very nice town, I used to pass there one night every year on the way to Ibiza. From there I used to make it direct to the Islands.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 18:26   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Calp, just to the west is also a nice place. I don't know about marina costs there but it's a pretty little town and marina. Barcelona is also a good option. Cartegena is probably the warmest, best town and pricing.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:24   #11

Hi all
Just to let you know that we have spoken with El Portet marina (denia) which looks the most sheltered of all marinas and they are doing a 12 month deal for a 15M berth of around 6000 euros inc tax - There is a 3 euro per day charge on top of this but bring the total to around 7200 euro for 12 months - we think this might offer us the right base to sail to the balericas for short weekends and for the summer as a base.
Anyone else moored in this marina before?
Feedback around shelter etc?

Many thanks

Tags
Spain