Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 17:25   #1

First time: Cyclades vs Dalmatia?

Got 7 days to kill in Europe mid july prior to business. I have the option of chartering the new Bene Oceanis 55 in the Aegean or an X-55 in the Adriatic. Anybody visited both the Cyclades and the Dalmatia island groups and have a preference?
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:05   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!
Re: First time: Cyclades vs Dalmatia?

Adriatic - Dalmatia. Mainly flat water sailing among hundreds of islands and anchorages, with the occasional very brisk wind but mostly fairly light diurnal winds. Short passages between anchorages. Plenty of marinas if needed, some with high standards and prices to match. Beautiful historic towns. Crowded with charterers in peak season - July to 3rd week August - some of whom are very inexperienced. More detail:

Cyclades - Greece. A windy area, northerly F4 to F6 prevalent June to September. 15nm to 25nm rough water passages between islands quite common. Large wind variations around the islands. Fine for 55ft boat with strong crew. Plenty of anchorages, plenty of quaysides in small villages. Not very crowded (too windy for many). Islands very different from each other - each very much with their own character. From polished, smart international resorts (Mykonos, Thyra) to simple, friendly, laid back isolation (Milos, archipelagos S of Naxos, Paros) and some gutsy Greek towns (Ermoupolis on Syros, Naxos). Marinas? - you're joking! More detail:
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34   #3

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

I've cruised both areas extensively and I think it's a no-brainer if you have just seven days and an important deadline at the end of it. In the Cyclades in July there's a good chance you could get port-bound in a force 8/9 meltemi just as you planned to head back to charter base. Much less of a risk in the Dalmatian islands, where a strong wind is usually either an Autumn thunderstorm or a winter bora, neither of which is very likely in July.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:28   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by athene View Post
In the Cyclades in July there's a good chance you could get port-bound in a force 8/9 meltemi just as you planned to head back to charter base.
I agree with your description of wind incidence in Croatia. In Cyclades, historic data show chance of summer meltemi over F7 at under 2% . Yes, people experience 35 and 40kt sometimes when a general F7 is blowing, so tend to report these local effects as "normal".

There are two strategies for dealing with the 2% risk. First, charter from Paros or Naxos. It's then easy to work north, and return south. Or, if from Lavrion or Athens area, in 7 days you'll just have to miss out some of the great southern islands.

And if your crew get seasick in rough water, forget the Cyclades!
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49   #5

Location: Adriatic and Inland France (summer); New Forest, UK (winter)
Boat: Oyster 435 cutter-rigged ketch and Nowee 38 motor yacht

Serifos in a July meltemi with gusts of 35-40 knots. Charter yachts dragging and running on storm jibs down to Milos. There's statistics and there's bitter experiences ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MeltemiSerifos.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	58567  
Old 08-04-2013, 21:25   #6

jckxb and athene,

Thanks for the good information and perspective from both of you. For this trip it will be the Adriatic. And next time with a few weeks available I will give the Aegean a try.

Thanks,

Journeyman
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 22:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
jckxb and athene,

Thanks for the good information and perspective from both of you. For this trip it will be the Adriatic. And next time with a few weeks available I will give the Aegean a try.

Thanks,

Journeyman
Good choice .
I would agree with Athene regarding statistics and bitter experience. The meltemi rips through the central part of the Aegean in summer, lasting up to a couple of weeks at a time if you are unlucky.

The sailing can be exhilarating as long as you are not trying to beat into wind, but time at anchor/in harbours can be very unpleasant. Gusts on the southern sides of islands where protection is sought can be vicious (statistics do not reflect these local effects).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:18   #8

Boat: Beneteau 50

I was sailing in Croatia from 2002 to 2009 and in summer season there was a lot of wind (NE up to 55 knots). If there is Bora (name of very strong wind from mountains) it's not a pleasure tos ail there .

Than I mooved to Greece where I spend about 3-4 months each year and if you have only one week it's better to sail around Saronic Gulf - don't do to Cyclades.
It's really full of beautifull places and worth of seeing.
If you will need a guide or need an advice there you I'm available from in Greece in August and beginning of september.

Croatia is very expensive and in my opinion people are less friendly than in Greece. Croatians can't see you but your money (((
It's only my opinion.

PS. Fiew of my greek pictures in my galleries:
Galeria - OrtemSails - rejsy Tajlandia - zdjcia z naszych rejsów

Regards
Jan
yahu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:39   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahu View Post

Croatia is very expensive and in my opinion people are less friendly than in Greece. Croatians can't see you but your money (((
It's only my opinion.

Regards
Jan
I've been both places and its a tossup which place is more expensive, less friendly, and more interested in your money. The odds of being pinned down by the bora are less than by the meltimi, but I've also been through a few bodacious thunderstorms in Dalmation waters.

Don't get me wrong--I'd go back to both areas, as they are beautiful in their own way.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 11:54   #10

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Journeyman I hope I dont put you the cyclades this yr but as for the past 20yrs i have lived part time on Naxos Island and have seen the Meltemi Blow and this yr i believe with the current weather Patterns we will see high f6 to f8 through out the summer in the cyclades we are in for a good summer of wind
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 03:54   #11

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

well after weeks of relentless southerly's and some where pretty fierce too i might add so the meltemi starts getting going this week with predictions of f5 to f7 just today sailed from sifnos to paros only 21nm first 8nm where good 14 to 18 knts wind then right in the middle between sifnos and paros the wind hit 28knts with about 2m sea banging on the port beam altered course slightly and sailed close up to the west side of anti paros, some 8nm to go where the wind dropped back to a steady 17knts now bunkered in for next 5 days see the weather charts on Poseidon System
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 04:30   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

why not try the Ionian, Greek with less wind!

dave