Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 01:09   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Again in my experience its difficult to make charter flights work , especially if you have to connect to them. ( sunsail use chaters and its sometime possible to get on theirs) They are often at the wrong time of the day.. There no doubt that western greece is harder to reach . There are flights from athens to Ioannina as well but the taxi ride south is expensive.

The bus takes about 6 hours from athens too

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:49   #17

Why not Northern Aegean

Hi Folks,

If you are looking for an area to sail without the traffic, the Northern Aegean would be perfect. I have spent many months sailing this and the Ionian, and if it is secluded you want, the Northern Aegean will supply. I personally found the Ionian fine if you like to stay within sight of many other boats, and don't mind squeezing into may harbours (early too if you want a space). June maybe won't be as bad as a month later however. That said it is bustling, has pleanty of everything you could need ashore, and is generally very gentle (sometimes too gentle) sailing.
Through the canal and over to Chalkidiki however provides relatively sheltered sailing (between the 3 peninsulas) but still some good winds to be had, many days of never seeing another boat at all, beautiful places to stop, and Mount Athos etc as the back drop. It is also devoid of tourists in many towns but loved by the greeks.

I will probably be around both areas at about the same time again next year so good luck with your sail, and please contact me if you need any advice on either areas.

James
MattDamon2927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:39   #18
Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMS View Post
We are planning to sail for 10 days in Greece in June 2011. We are 4 couples in our 50's . We haven't decided where to go ;to the ionian ,the sporades , the saronic or the cyclades (which i believe are too windy )We would like not crowded places , short distances (no more than 3 to 6 hours a day) and if possible, with archeological sights. We've sailed in Croatia (Split) , Turkey (Gocek to Kalkan) and the BVI. Is it more difficult? (I don't like waves). I would appreciate any suggestions.
You will find a whole lot of useful information in the GREECE SECTION of the World Cruising Wiki.

Enjoy your cruise.
Old 15-11-2010, 05:50   #19

Hi to all! In my opinion the best choice is the Ionian sea . The weather conditions in the ionian are perfect for you. i Totaly suggest you avoid the Cyclades since the islands there can be very crowded and you have to enter in the port very early in order to find a place some thing for the saronic islands as well .
i have found this site www.greecesailingguide.com it has many informations for the ionian and all greece actually. i hope you find it usefull . i have been working in the ionian for many years so if there is something i can help you with just let me know guys!!!!
george81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12   #20

Having Professionally skippered for a travel company based in Lavrio - I'd say the Saronic is OK provided there isn't a Meltemi blowing.

Only place that was any difficulty was Hydra (needed to be in by lunchtime) but Poros, Dhokos, Plaka, Spetses were all fine, even turning up in the late evening. Plus if you're near Dhokos/Hydra, there are some nice sparsely populated anchorages you can use.

Beware the Meltemi though, myself and all the other British skippers working for this company left at 4 am on the last day and had a fine beat in 20 knots. Other skippers left 5 hours later and were seeing 45 knots by the time they got back to base.
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:36   #21

Probably arrived at Athens airport, but we take our boat Vounaki. I tried to find the fastest way to get there and he says there is an airport, but can not find cheaper. A transfer is the best way? or ferry? . We are flying from Frankfurt or Munich.

Athens Museums
melina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 12:46   #22

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hi !
I noticed you would like "archeological sights" and "no wawes".... Well, one of the world famoust archeological spot is "DELPHES"... How to visit it by boat ? From Itea or Galaxidi (2 ports not far from the site) ... How to get there? From Trisomia (charming small Island) and Misolonghi (interresting for many reasons) ... From where ? From Zakinhos or Kefalonia (Ionian Islands)... And, and, you have airports in these 2 islands with direct flights from Athen (sure for Zakintos).... And you have charter companies in Kefalonia (look at goog...) ...
The Patras Gulf used to be with less wawes than the open sea... But who knows ? The wingd could be "right in the nose" for getting back... That's just sailing...
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 14:21   #23
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques2 View Post
Hi !
I noticed you would like "archeological sights" and "no wawes".... Well, one of the world famoust archeological spot is "DELPHES"... How to visit it by boat ? From Itea or Galaxidi (2 ports not far from the site) ... How to get there? From Trisomia (charming small Island) and Misolonghi (interresting for many reasons) ... From where ? From Zakinhos or Kefalonia (Ionian Islands)... And, and, you have airports in these 2 islands with direct flights from Athen (sure for Zakintos).... And you have charter companies in Kefalonia (look at goog...) ...
The Patras Gulf used to be with less wawes than the open sea... But who knows ? The wingd could be "right in the nose" for getting back... That's just sailing...
its often like a wind tunnel in there with sharp steep waves ,ive experenced 2 meters
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 00:02   #24

Boat: East Orient 32
I also recommend the Ionian. Gorgeous scenery, nothing very far (2-4 hours of sailing between anchorages if you so choose), friendly people, and in June it won't be crowded.
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece