Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2008, 05:07   #16

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
There may no longer be a 90-day limit in Schengen countries for US and Canadian citizens. At least, there isn't in the Netherlands. See the "When you require a visa" link that I posted earlier for more information.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2008, 07:30   #17

Boat: Looking with intent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice View Post
There may no longer be a 90-day limit in Schengen countries for US and Canadian citizens. At least, there isn't in the Netherlands. See the "When you require a visa" link that I posted earlier for more information.
Unfortunately, in many of the Schengen countries there is still a time limit and in the UK there most definitively is one and they will deport you on land. On sea they can and have been known to fine. Yes most member countries won't stamp your passport for many different reasons (only one being not giving a start date to when you arrived, there is also access to health care and other issues at stake).

Since you are on the continent at this time, I would stongly suggest visiting a vet' with your pet and getting the paperwork for a pet passport started right now as that will remove the headache of the UK and their somewhat backward laws regarding animals. The reason I say backward is if you knew the amount of farm stock the moves across the water into the UK alive each day with only basic paperwork, you would find the rules they have for pet's to be crazy. Not to mention the amount of meat from South America (where Foot and Mouth are endemic) and gets used by the MoD and sold to the public every day is just nuts. But have an out break of it and they kill everything that might have it (even though the disease can not effect humans).

On the supplies side of things Lidl and similar chains are very worth while hitting throughtout Europe as they have very high quality without paying the high street price. Saving peance where one can is always important.

If you are still in Amsterdam, try hitting the Prince Albert open air market. Wonderful place to stock up on dry meats and get good cheeses at a reasonable price. There are a fewother shops there that have some very good spirits at reasonable prices and stock up on that side of the channel as the UK is now the highest tax on spirits in all of Europe (Yes, they finally have a tax higher than Sweden).

Hope you have good sailing and the weather is better on your side of the Channel.

Michael
Old 03-09-2008, 11:54   #18

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Hi Shirlee,

I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. Amsterdam should be great for the winter (are you staying in Six Haven? When we were there in 2006 there was major construction, but the simple ferry to town was womderful.)

We just completed a 3000 mile circle of the western Med and were checked by customs in Spain - no problems and never in France ot Italy. So I continue to think that most officials are very easy going on these rules.

Jim
Old 16-11-2008, 05:30   #19

Location: Living and working in San Francisco until the next time we go cruising.
Boat: Sceptre 41 #12
Send a message via Skype™ to Solstice
Michael and Jim,

We followed Michael's advice and got our dog a pet passport here. She had her rabies titer test for the UK six months in advance as required. But we learned at the vet that to enter Sweden and Norway (on our way to Scotland), she'll need a titer test at least four months after her last rabies shot. That means the poor thing will have to be tested again before we go.

We're at Marina Westerdok in central Amsterdam. Sixhaven was a zoo the two days we were there, and they don't allow live-aboards over the winter. We've been to the Albert Cuyp Markt several times, but the closest Lidl isn't convenient, so we're making do with Albert Heijn and the local markets. My Dutch is coming back, and people almost never switch to English on me.

Good luck with your passage, Jim. We're loving Europe, but look forward to returning to the Caribbean someday. Two of our cruising friends will be in the Carib when you are. If you see Hiatus (from Portland, OR) or Indigo (a Cabo Rico 42 from Florida), please tell them hello from us. Greg and Kathy on Indigo were corporate ex-pats in Amsterdam, so I think you would have a lot in common.

Thanks for your help and good wishes.

Shirlee
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote