Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2010, 03:01   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 12m River Cruiser
French Waterways Licenses

The VNF (French Waterways Authority) have just published their licence ('vignette') rates for 2011. Full Details Here. A licence is necessary in order to traverse nearly all French rivers and canals; charges vary according to size of boat, period of time required, and season.
Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 04:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hi Grehan,

Thanks for the update and links. Any news on requirements for the ICC and CEVNI, particularly for US citizens where the ICC is not issued?

Regards
Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 04:34   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately, its going to be a week or 3 before im ready to make the voyage but I cant wait.
Old 22-12-2010, 06:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Thanks for the update and links. Any news on requirements for the ICC and CEVNI, particularly for US citizens where the ICC is not issued?
The essence of the Requirements answer is that to travel French inland waterways (and other mainland EU inland waterways, I think) one needs an ICC boating competence certificate that has a CEVNI (inland waterways) endorsement. See details regarding French inland boating regulations here. I also understand (although I don't yet have definitive details) that the EU has recently passed an amendment that means that citizens of a country other than the one where the test (ICC, CEVNI) is being taken can take the test. So an American could now be able take the test(s) in France or the UK. I suggest you check that out with either of the two training schools I cite on the linked web page.
Old 22-12-2010, 07:22   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Grehan,

If the EU changes the regulations allowing non residents to take the tests that would certainly answer the concerns for sailors from the many countries that don't issue the ICC.

Good thing the UK will participate since my French is just enough to read a menu and maybe get directions to the nearest Metro.

Thanks for the link. Will check it carefully.

Best Regards
Skip
Old 24-12-2010, 17:14   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Hi Grehan,

If the EU changes the regulations allowing non residents to take the tests that would certainly answer the concerns for sailors from the many countries that don't issue the ICC.

Good thing the UK will participate since my French is just enough to read a menu and maybe get directions to the nearest Metro.

Thanks for the link. Will check it carefully.

Best Regards
Skip
Do you have confirmation on that The ICC is a united nations agreement not an EU one. I know the EU has published changes it would like to see but I don't believe the UN has changed the agreement. I stand to be corrected here.

Dave
Old 26-12-2010, 21:09   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Do you have confirmation on that The ICC is a united nations agreement not an EU one. I know the EU has published changes it would like to see but I don't believe the UN has changed the agreement. I stand to be corrected here.

Dave
I really know little about the ICC background. I have just read in a number of places that an ICC license is required in some countries and in particular the CEVNI endorsement to the ICC is required to cruise the canal system in Europe.

If you have any additional information I would be most interested.

Skip
Old 27-12-2010, 03:47   #8
Nearly an old salt

As far as I understand it the situation is as before, that foreigners need an ICC with the CEVNI extensions . This still leaves the issue of what to do for people whose country doesn't issue ICCs. You can apply to do the French inland license directly but the exam is in French. It's a bit of a FUBAR problem . The UN convention on the ICC doesn't allow it to be handled put by an issuing country to residents of other countries.

Dave
Old 27-12-2010, 06:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

The ICC document, plus its CEVNI endorsement, is required for all (not just 'foreigners' whoever they might be) cruising European waterways. Regulations have meant that the exams have had to be taken within the country issuing the documents. This is set to change. I understand (but I am NOT a boating legislative expert) that the decision to change this has been made, but not yet ratified.
" . . "The revision of Resolution 40 (ICC) had been put to the Working Party at the June meeting. It was agreed by this WP and it was decided then to propose it to the full session in October. This was the meeting I mentioned and it did indeed accept the revised resolution without any change and asked the Secretariat to publish it to the Government members of UNECE. The main objective was, as you say, that from now, Governments that have accepted the ICC should also accept that they can legally issue ICC's to citizens of any state (including USA and Canada) even if they are not resident in the Government's country provided they have passed that country's navigation test, including the CEVNI test for those wanting to navigate on inland waterways or, in other words, provided thay are confident in the applicant's ability to navigate safely in Europe - which is, after all, the objective.
Now, this means that the new text will be sent to all members of UNECE and all Governments will be asked to accept it and to inform the Secretariat when they have done so. But it is difficult to say when this will be actually promulgated in each state. . . "

See also Red Sky at Night » CEVNI for Non-EU Citizens
Old 27-12-2010, 16:34   #10
Nearly an old salt

I mentioned foreigners in the context of those who are non French. As I understand French nationals have to pass the French tests and can't use a ICC. You comments confirm what I understand that there is a proposal on the table but no current change to the status quo

Dave
Old 15-01-2011, 08:24   #11
Marine Service Provider

Starting on 1st February, the RYA will be authorised to test and issue ICC/CEVNI documents to non-UK residents who are not resident in another ICC signatory country.

Tags
french waterways