Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2020, 15:06   #1

Boat: Hanse 430e
Greek DEPKA suspended this year

I got an email today from Cleopatra Marina. Greece has suspended the DEPKA this year and instituted a crew list required to be completed and held by captain. No mention of fees.

Have fun
Dogscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 15:21   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Greek DEPKA suspended this year

For those of us unfamiliar, what is a DEPKA?
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 16:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
For those of us unfamiliar, what is a DEPKA?
It’s a cruising permit based on the type and length of boat

A tax , used to improve the marine infrastructure

I wonder why they canceled it ?
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:12   #4

Boat: Jenneau 45.2

DEPKA is not really a tax. You had to pay a small nominal fee when first arriving in Greece for this cruising log. It then had to be renewed every 12 months which was often a major Inconvenience for the boat owner and the Port Police were not fond of it either.

TEPAI a cruising tax was introduced last year and has been largely disliked for several reasons. There are reports of Greece wanting to relax lockdown to attract tourism. Many Yachties may be reluctant to return due to Covid19. A suspension of TEPAI may help to encourage ?
Jenneau Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:11   #5

Boat: Lagoon 400

Three comments:
1. DEKPA (not depka).
2. It is a certificate issued for sailing in Greek waters, issued ONLY to EU flagged yachts. If you have a boat registered out of the EU, you sail with a different (although somewhat similar) document - Transit Log.
3. At this point of time, there are no news as to the need of sailing with the Transit Log. Only DEKPA is suspended.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:28   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
2. It is a certificate issued for sailing in Greek waters, issued ONLY to EU flagged yachts. If you have a boat registered out of the EU, you sail with a different (although somewhat similar) document - Transit Log.
This is no true, Dekpa is also needed for Turkish flagged boats (at least for commercially registered boats) and Turkey is not a part of EU.
Transit log is the term used in Turkey as a crusing permit.

I also know for sure that Greece is treating commercial or private registered boats differently but I couldn't say what the difference is as I am always going there with a commercial registrated boats.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
This is no true, Dekpa is also needed for Turkish flagged boats (at least for commercially registered boats) and Turkey is not a part of EU.
Transit log is the term used in Turkey as a crusing permit.

I also know for sure that Greece is treating commercial or private registered boats differently but I couldn't say what the difference is as I am always going there with a commercial registrated boats.

Cheers

Yeloya
Perhaps Turkish commercial boats are treated differently.
For sure private non EU yachts use TL not DEKPA.
Until few years ago, any non Greek vessel had to get DEKPA, this was split into DEKPA for EU vs. TL for non EU (at least for leisure vessels).
Old 01-05-2020, 23:12   #8

Boat: Elan 40'

My sixpence worth.... I think meirriba has described it correctly as far as Greece is cocerned.

I was cruising in Greece in 2019 with a boat registered in Guernsey. I needed a Transit Log and with a TL you are required to check in and check out of every port of call with the police. They stamp the TL accordingly. Basically a real hassle. A DEKPA was much easier and entailed far easier control mechanisims. I would imagine that the Greek authorities have just given up on a rather useless document.
johnandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 23:46   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I have been sailing in Greece for 20 + years - my understanding is that , if your yacht registration falls within the E U tax ( VAT ) environment , then you are required to have a DEKPA - if your registration falls outside of that environment then you are required to have a Transit Log - my registration is in Jersey , so I have a Transit Log , which is no more onerous to use than a Dekpa . A transit log has a validity period of 18 months and must be handed in when not in use and or cancelled on expiry. The Transit Log in Turkey seems to be just a cruising permit / tax , using the same name . As of last year there is now an additional cruising tax , based on the length/ duration of stay etc in Greece .
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 00:59   #10

https://www.noonsite.com/place/greec...uments-section

This is full, updated and accurate.

Just let us come back to our boat in Greece and sail...
Old 02-05-2020, 01:03   #11

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

The DEKPA has been scrapped completely as the Greek Authorities have realised that the new e-TEPAI (cruising tax) document does the same job with less complications for boats "out of the water" and the craziness of having to renew the DEKPA on the expiration date. This is not just for this year but forever.

The Transit Log is required by non EU flagged boats (including the UK after 31st Dec) and has to be stamped in & out at every port of call. This is a PITA and there are many voices raising concern to the Greeks that the PP will be overwhelmed. Hopefully the authorities will see the same sense of just using the TEPAI and random checks on Crew Lists or an electronic version of the Transit Log or other variations on the theme (maybe a rubber stamp on a string outside the PP office where you stamp the TL yourself??).

If you are sailing around the Ionian apparently most PP will stamp your TL as "Ionian" meaning as long as you don't leave that region you don't need to stamp in and out everytime you stop somewhere. A common sense approach somewhere at least.
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 04:57   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
The DEKPA has been scrapped completely as the Greek Authorities have realised that the new e-TEPAI (cruising tax) document does the same job with less complications for boats "out of the water" and the craziness of having to renew the DEKPA on the expiration date. This is not just for this year but forever.

The Transit Log is required by non EU flagged boats (including the UK after 31st Dec) and has to be stamped in & out at every port of call. This is a PITA and there are many voices raising concern to the Greeks that the PP will be overwhelmed. Hopefully the authorities will see the same sense of just using the TEPAI and random checks on Crew Lists or an electronic version of the Transit Log or other variations on the theme (maybe a rubber stamp on a string outside the PP office where you stamp the TL yourself??).

If you are sailing around the Ionian apparently most PP will stamp your TL as "Ionian" meaning as long as you don't leave that region you don't need to stamp in and out everytime you stop somewhere. A common sense approach somewhere at least.
You can do the same with "Saronic", but doubt you would find a PP willing to stamp "Aegean".
spaman is offline   Reply With Quote