Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 02:03   #1

Location: Winters: UK, Southampton. Summers, Greece, Finikounda.
Boat: Oyster 406, 12.3m, RAPAZ
Greek Paperwork

The Greek Port Police have considerably relaxed their application and policing of the regulations for leisure boats since the beiginning of 2006, certainly for EU yachts. I've completed a survey of current practice and re-published the Port Police section on my website - click the 'sailing' tab, go to the 'Greece Details' section, and scroll down to 'Port Police Protocol'.

While I had a lot of data from EU yachts, I haven't heard a lot from non-EU yachts, and I'd like to make sure I've got it right. So, if any non-EU yachts recently cruising Greece can correct any errors or point out any experiences which conflict with my advice, I'd be very grateful.

You may even find the site useful for planning European intineraries! Who knows?

Remember, please, experience since Jan 2006 - I'm aware of many of the horror stories from earlier years.

JimB
Google 'jimb sail', or go direct to JimB's sail Europe
Compares the Cruising areas of Europe
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2007, 12:15   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
JimB,

First, I'd like to thank you for keeping your website up to date. It has been helpful. I just wish I would have listened about Messina - the ferry wash was horrible

I am on a non EU boat currently cruising Greece. We have been here for about 4 months and everything has been going fine. I was nervous about the port police and all of the procedures before entering, but it has been fairly relaxed and easy going. I have been asked for my registration and insurance most of the time, but only once (Preveza) was I asked for a captain's license.

I did make the mistake of not getting stamped one month and got a small lecture from the port police in Piraeus Then in Nidri, I was told that I am getting too many stamps. He said I only need to check in once a month. My new plan has been to check in when the port police come to my boat and ask me to check in and make sure I have at least a few stamps a month. It seems to be working.

My boat is 13.6 meters and we pay about 11 Euro a night when charged by the port police. The do not seem to factor in that we are a catamaran - which is nice for a change.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cathy
Lagoon 440
Twixter
Twixter is offline   Reply With Quote