Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 00:22   #586

Re: Greek Tax! - MERGED 4 THREADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Regardless of the vote, if banks reopen as promised on Tuesday they will have to continue with the capital controls. Even with a 'yes' vote, funding to banks is unlikely to be boosted until a new deal is struck and that could take weeks or longer (Tsipras has said that if there is a 'yes' vote, he doesn't wish to implement whatever will be dictated in order for further funding to be released, so a new government will have to be overseeing this).
If Tsipras is a man of his word, then a Yes vote should see his government resigning on Monday. The Greek president could probably appoint an interim government who will have the mandate of the Greek people to go to Brussels/Berlin to sign the agreement. But it all depends on the Greek constitution.

If it works that way, then it can all happen quickly and I think that the Troika would want to be seen as acting fast in solidarity with the Greek people.
Old 05-07-2015, 00:26   #587

Quote:
We depend on UK deliveries during winter for all sorts of boat related and personal purchases that are difficult to source here.
Since you never stay in marinas, how do your purchases find you?
Old 05-07-2015, 00:56   #588

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Since you never stay in marinas, how do your purchases find you?
Four ways :

1. If I know a package will be posted rather than couriered, I simply have it sent to the local post office Post Restand. Post is remarkably efficient here, nothing has ever gone missing. In the small communities we are near they often simply leave packages on a table and people help themselves. Sounds risky, but the system works as everyone knows everyone and theft is simply not an issue.

2. Simply label it "c/o Courier Office" with your phone number for the township (or even just island) you want it delivered to. You don't even need to specify what courier. The courier will tell you where it is when they ring and let you know it has arrived. Our dinghy came simply addressed as vaguely as "Courier Office Lesbos".

3. Get to know one of the local businesses and use their address (I used the local liquor store last year, the butcher before that etc).

4. Every second year we haul out, so parcels are sent c/o the marina, even when we are back at home and the boat is on the hardstand. They simply hold them for us until we are back.

In eight years nothing has ever been lost or damaged, although there have occasionally been delays, most often because the retailer does not actually have the item in stock. Only twice have there have been courier related delays. One delay from Amazon UK was due to the item being sent from Japan (I would not have ordered it had I known beforehand this was the case).

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:02   #589

Quote:
3. Get to know one of the local businesses and use their address (I used the local liquor store last year, the butcher before that etc).
LOL
Old 05-07-2015, 01:05   #590

Quote:
I simply have it sent to the local post office Post Restand.
I seem to recall doing that once or twice when backpacking back in the days when a mobile phone was a phone that had a long extension cord
Old 05-07-2015, 01:32   #591

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
LOL
We were their best customers last winter .

Old 05-07-2015, 04:13   #592
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Most greeks, including their financial minister tend to believe that Europe would collapse, thus they cannot afford the Grexit.. Greece is only 3 % of EC 's GNP and I never understood why this should happen. The major creditors are France and Germany and even if Greece doesn't pay anything, this bad debth constitutes only 2-3 % of their GNP's. (Remember that Germany has paid 10 times this fee when two Germanies were unified.)

Whether it's a yes or no, there is no escape for Greece if they don't go back to drachma. And yet, they have to change their attitude and work hard for a decade or so to recover. For years, they have lived at much higher standards then their earnings, sooner or later they will have to pay for. Turkey has undergone this scenario several times and every time we worked harder to become competitive and overcome the difficulties; blamimg others doesn't help..
Europe is equally responsable for what happened, they took them in eurozone by ignoring that they were meeting the Schengen criteria only by cheating the numbers, kept them lending large amount of money by ignoring they had no way to pay them back..
In short, both sides will have to pay for their mistakes..
For cruisers, it could even be more beneficial; less people around, some services cheaper..
Cheers
Yeloya
nb:yesterday in Simi and Rhodes noone was accepting credit cards, just fyi.
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:13   #593

Boat: between boats

One thing to be aware of is the phone companies can't issue recharge cards at kiosks with banks closed. We are about to lose our internet and can't recharge it which is frustrating for weather forecasts ( though they have been so wrong the past week maybe I'm better off without them☺)

Main thing is to stay mobile I reckon ( not having a mast doesn't help) had a fellow cruiser cancel his engine repairs last week for this reason.

Happy to be leaving my boat with you Attila this winter too as who knows what crazy boat tax a real majority syrzia party might come up with!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:16   #594
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Anyone here in Greece been thinking about their Grexit strategy if the vote goes NO?
Whilst I'm not planning to do my own Grexit, I am starting to think that I will leave open the possibility of wintering in Turkey instead.
Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
For you is closer marina Albania, 90-100 nm Orikum-Marina SAIL ALBANIA - www.sail-albania.com
i dont now price but is cheaper than turkey marina.
also you have option monte negro. The winter berthing rate for 2011/12 (7 months, Oct to April inc) start around €2400 for 12m up to €3200 for 15m
(this is about price)

Also you can use near Split island marine for anual 4300€ or 400€ month.
Welcome to Marinavlaska.com
also drydock in town split 700€ anual + transport cost in/out
http://www.sandiplavival.com/en/

Also i have one secret place on 2x manta ray 200€ month but dont have security,this is not for you.

i pay 0€ on my moring but in this place soon make new marina in new plan of croatia goverment and EU of making 18000 new berth finish 2018 year.
For you i sugested stay in Corfu or go to Albania,but ask other.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 07:13   #595

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
For you is closer marina Albania, 90-100 nm Orikum-Marina SAIL ALBANIA - www.sail-albania.com
i dont now price but is cheaper than turkey marina.
also you have option monte negro. The winter berthing rate for 2011/12 (7 months, Oct to April inc) start around €2400 for 12m up to €3200 for 15m
(this is about price)

Also you can use near Split island marine for anual 4300€ or 400€ month.
Welcome to Marinavlaska.com
also drydock in town split 700€ anual + transport cost in/out
Dry marine | boats, campers

Also i have one secret place on 2x manta ray 200€ month but dont have security,this is not for you.

i pay 0€ on my moring but in this place soon make new marina in new plan of croatia goverment and EU of making 18000 new berth finish 2018 year.
For you i sugested stay in Corfu or go to Albania,but ask other.
My plan is to head around to the Aegean and explore the Cyclades. If I'm staying in Greece I'll probably winter in Corfu otherwise I'll head over to Turkey, I think.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:02   #596

The polls are closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-07-2015, 11:46   #597

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The polls are closed.
About 20% of the votes have been counted and there is a 60% "no" reponse, ie to reject the austerity terms.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:20   #598

Quote:
About 20% of the votes have been counted and there is a 60% "no" reponse, ie to reject the austerity terms.
I think that the Greeks are going to be in for a big shock when the dust settles.

Tsipras destroyed all trust in calling the referendum. It was his last desperate attempt a playing politics and avoiding admitting that he failed.

Now it is Merkels turn to play politics. It will not look good to German voters if she eases off on the bailout terms. I would not be surprised if she rejects outright any new talks stating that Greece already knows the terms they must accept.

Having worked in Banking IT (credit cards) for the past 17 years, I know that it can take time to change currency. I hope the Greek banks IT departments well documented what they converted to the Euro. Hopefully they have been preparing, just in case.

It will take some pressure off the banks IT staff if the Euro / Drachma rate will start at 1-1 so there is at least no conversion required to existing account balances.
Old 05-07-2015, 13:11   #599

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Useful link for brief Greek updates (in English):

http://www.ekathimerini.com

Old 05-07-2015, 22:22   #600
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

The vote is NO. But I really think a new tread should be started to discuss this instead of this one as none of it deals with the now dead issue of Greek boat tax. FWIW, withdrew max in 50 euro bills from an ATM this morning. The local Greek in front of me got nothing. I must say that the general feeling is that not much will change, at least here in the Islands. We shall see.

I too am looking forward to Atilia's hospitality. I just hope they don't start to raise their rates on us desperate cruiser forum members

Tags
Greece, water, yacht