Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2009, 10:31   #1

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Greek Taxes

well the Greeks are at it again today i had a visit from the port police informing me that i now must pay the new rate for cruising tax for yachts remaining in Greek waters from the current rate of 30 euros per annum to the new rate of 200 euros per yr for my yacht, and also now must pay new marina rates from 195 per month to 750 euros per month .

Of which i replied after 17 yrs here you cant stick it where the sun don't shine i am of out of here to find a new port .

so to all those who are contemplating life sailing in the med ie Greece be warned
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 11:55   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Can understand the distress in the steep hike in your marina prices, but why give up on all those freebie harbour berthings or good achorages just because they charge you a 200 euro annual cruising tax?

Good luck
JOHN
Old 26-10-2009, 12:36   #3

because as advised by my good friends the port customs officers this is just the begining of more charges to come into effect around april they have told me that the goverment hope to implement a range of sailing charges
Old 26-10-2009, 12:38   #4

Boat: Jeaneau Sun Oddysey 34.2
See you in Turkey!
DaveL1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 12:40   #5

yes you will am heading down there on sunday
Old 26-10-2009, 13:42   #6

Boat: Jeaneau Sun Oddysey 34.2
Where abouts you heading for?

Been to Turkey before?

David
DaveL1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2009, 15:00   #7

yes have been down there a few times am heading to antalya for 3 months then will head down to cyprus to see how the new marina is going there
Old 26-10-2009, 16:44   #8
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
well, i suppose it was bound to happen, then its about the same price as Croatia is charging, still likly overall cheaper than turkey, i hope i dont get the shaft when i return to pick up the boat!
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 13:46   #9

Cost of Eve in the harbours

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
well the Greeks are at it again today i had a visit from the port police informing me that i now must pay the new rate for cruising tax for yachts remaining in Greek waters from the current rate of 30 euros per annum to the new rate of 200 euros per yr for my yacht, and also now must pay new marina rates from 195 per month to 750 euros per month .

Of which i replied after 17 yrs here you cant stick it where the sun don't shine i am of out of here to find a new port .

so to all those who are contemplating life sailing in the med ie Greece be warned
Please read on the following link the information. The web page belongs to the Prefectoral Committee of Tourist Promotion of the Cyclades. Information about recreation ships Except if you are a tanker ship owner and you belong to another category.
Regards
Hans
cruiserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 07:29   #10

Boat: broadblue 385
we are in leros and lift in/out plus 6 month storage on the hard for our 38ft cat is about 2400 euros....the only other thing we paid was last year when we came to greece - about 50 euros for the cruising permit (which is valid for three years). we fly EU flag/VAT paid.......
onotoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 14:19   #11

Boat: Alden 44
Updates in light of financial crisis?

Is anyone in Greece now who can provide information on what, if any, new taxes will be levied this spring/summer on U.S. flagged sailboats visiting?

Thanks,

S.V. Date
s/y Juno
svdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2010, 05:37   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
firstly This law is the subject of some dispute, the EU commission is saying that for EU registered boats the tax is unlawful as it represents a charge on the free movement of goods.

Unfortunately for EU and foreign vessels the charge is in force, it only applies to boats that stay more then 40 days, but can work out to over 5000 euros a year on 15 metre motor boats. noonsite has a reasonable round up of the details

no taxes below 15 metres for sailbaots and 10 metres for powerboats , but over that the taxes are huge, 200 euros per metre for the first 20 metres, so a 16 metre sailboat will cost you 3200 a year, far more for mobo's

THis is seperate to any harbour development charges that can be levied as in the Cylades.

The new tax introduced last august, is not the old cruisng tax that was suspended, its in effect a wealth tax that Greece has brought in , by the government and with greece being a financial basket case, I suspect they are looking at taxing everything that moves, or doesnt or just everthing. It is expected that this will be challanged in court , especially for EU vessels, but it wouldnt be the first time EU states have tried this on.

Its called a "special contribution tax" and effectively begins in April this year, sorry thats the payment date , the clocks ticks from Jan1 2010. Its primarily aimed at big motor boats and superyachts, They are going to be scarce around greece this year

SO no overwintering in greece for the monent, given the state that the spainish, italian and portugeese economies and the pressure to raise taxes they are getting from the Northern EU states and the European Central Bank, I forsee more taxes in the med everywhere
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 09:00   #13

Boat: Bavaria 37
Hi
Informations about greek taxes
We arrived 2 days ago in Samos (Dodecande island) from Turquey. As an EU citizen, for clearing in, I had to pay 52 € of different small taxes (Customs : 8, Police : 30, Port Police : 14..., maybe in the disorder...). That's all for my 37' ... As last year i didn't clear out it was a little bit long, but kindly and i now i can sail where i want in Greek waters.
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 13:12   #14

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
Can understand the distress in the steep hike in your marina prices, but why give up on all those freebie harbour berthings or good achorages just because they charge you a 200 euro annual cruising tax?

Good luck
JOHN
Portugal and Spain wii be next.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 01:20   #15

Boat: 393
Greek luxury boat tax update fm Greek Ministry of Finance

Asked the question to MoF in Greece and got reply pasted below. If this is what it is, it doesn't look too bad.
This came in May 17 2010:
Replying to your e-mail of 29-4-2010 to the Office of the Minister of Finance, we inform you in the following:
Indeed, a boat annual special tax has been introduced in our country. According to law N. 3642/2010, the tax is levied upon the motorboats over 10 meters as well as upon the sailing boats over 15 meters. The tax is also levied upon those boats that remain within Greek territory for more than 60 days during a calendar year. The tax is annual and it cannot be divided.
The above tax is charged based on the boats length. In detail
For power boats over 10 m:
For the first 10 meters=None
For the next 3 meters=300 Euro per meter
For the next 4 meters=550 Euro per meter
For the next 4 meters =800 Euro per meter
For the next 4 meters = 1.050 Euro per meter
For the next meters above 25th = 1.300 Euro per meter
For sailing boats over 15m:
For the first 15 meters= None
From 15-20 m=200 Euro per meter
From 21-25 m=400 Euro per meter
Above 26 m= 600 Euro per meter
For example a power boat of 21 meters long pays tax of 6.300 euro annually (900+2200+3200 euro).
The above tax is paid only for the above boats and is paid by all boats residing in Greek waters for more than 60 days, within a calendar year.
However this tax is not yet enacted because the law is referring to a minister of finance rule that needs to be issued concerning the deadline of the tax, the way of payment and other details.
The above MINISTER OF FINANCE RULE will be issued soon.
plato-gb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
taxes