Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2015, 12:14   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS
Insurance Documentation in Italy

So, my OH was just dealing with our insurance broker to renew insurance on the boat & the broker asked if we planned on taking the boat into Italian waters. She wanted to verify sernos for the engine, official number, etc. Apparently there has recently been instances where boats were being seized by officials in Italy due to incomplete or inaccurate information on insurance documentation.

That is all we know, but thought it may warrant a head's up here on CF. Has anyone else heard of this?
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:34   #2

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Re: Insurance Documentation in Italy

Well I have just had an incident where the Italian Coastguard required to check all my boat documentation. Yes they did ask for insurance for engines showing engine numbers but my insurance documentation (in six languages) explicitly mentions that the tender is also covered. I explained to them that my insurance (with Pantaenius) is for the complete boat and all accessories. They accepted that.

Make sure that your insurance cover is in multi languages.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:51   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by multihullsailor6 View Post
Well I have just had an incident where the Italian Coastguard required to check all my boat documentation. Yes they did ask for insurance for engines showing engine numbers but my insurance documentation (in six languages) explicitly mentions that the tender is also covered. I explained to them that my insurance (with Pantaenius) is for the complete boat and all accessories. They accepted that.

Make sure that your insurance cover is in multi languages.
My experience has been the same.

Let's not get worked up over nothing. checking into the yard last year, there was no problems or issues with my standard Pantaneaus insurance policy that was no different than when we were in Spanish waters. The Italian officials are very accomodating... No problems at all. All of my paperwork was also looked over by the customs bonding agents and authorities... No problems.

The Italians are not seizing any boats, they have enough on their plate with the North African and Middle Eastern invasion into Sicily.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 03:46   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

The British Cruising Association (CA) issued a news item on this subject. See Threat of fines in Italy for wrong insurance papers | CA

What was required were details of your tender and it's engine to be registered on your insurance documents.

Common sense really - to prove that if you chop a swimmer to pieces with your tender, you're insured for that event.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:56   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We sailed Italy last year and this year and have IMIS and never an issue. We do not have numbers on anything and were never questioned.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, insurance, Italy, men