Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 11:07   #16

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: Leaving a Boat Unattended for Some Time

well i was right karpaz is a good secure place as i arrived at marina at 8.00am today and there he was the unpaid pensioner boat watcher aka Rivonia ( peter) doing his rounds tightening up slapping halyards and checking on the boats
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 11:31   #17
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
well i was right karpaz is a good secure place as i arrived at marina at 8.00am today and there he was the unpaid pensioner boat watcher aka Rivonia ( peter) doing his rounds tightening up slapping halyards and checking on the boats
Anything New happening at Karpaz this year?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 11:40   #18

No ram nothing new here less yachts than last yr only 3 liveaboard yachts here still No chandlers basicaly the same as when you where here last
Old 29-01-2013, 12:48   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leaving a Boat Unattended for Some Time

As mentioned earlier Gib sometimes gets hammered by W'lies and Marina Bay can get quite a chop... don't know what the marina in La Linea is like but in any kind of blow the old anchorage behind the breakwater was great shelter... E or W winds... and I believe thats where the new marina is...
Anyone tried it... any good..?

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 10:25   #20

Boat: Privately Owned Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
No ram nothing new here less yachts than last yr only 3 liveaboard yachts here still No chandlers basicaly the same as when you where here last
Still no chandlery at karpaz? When I read the Autumn 2012 Newsletter on-line it said it was already open!
Navwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49   #21

yep still no chandlers I am here right now and it is empty man would of landed on mars before it opens here.

and the only thing happening here is the Turkish air force fighter jets have been doing low level flying along the coast towards Syria
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57   #22

Boat: Bavaria 37

Just to say : There are thousands of sailboats unattended for winter in the Turkish marinas, and the owners of these boats are not all stupid, I suppose (I mean I hope for myself)... Among them, very luxury boats... Of course, it happens a marina office moves a boat because of works on a pontoon or a quay, but they manage it quite well..
Jacques2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 00:56   #23

Boat: Privately Owned Boats

Thanks for the input - now have crew for both my boats, so I shall be joining up with my scheduled delivery at the end of this month and we shall sail as a small flotilla to Fort Lauderdale where I will trade up for a boat more suitable for the Caribbean.
Navwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:32   #24

Boat: Grand Soleill 41 - Gali

Hi Navwoman
I heard good reviews about Finike marina in Turkey, I stayed there several times for short periods. Heard good things from the resident liveaboards. Their priced are very reasonable.
Old 22-03-2013, 11:22   #25

Well i have seen it all today in karpaz around 16.00hr the winds started hitting 38knts for sustained periods and reaching up to 57.4 knts for periods of 10 to 15 minutes on an off and some four hrs later is still blowing not expected to die down until midnight all boats in marina are safe and secure the marina staff start patrolling pontoons at 16.00hrs and are still here but i am incensed and my blood is boiling at this time with one person the so called harbour master of which i personnely cant stand and was planning to write karpaz the truth part 2 in a couple of weeks time but i will now do this this weekend when i dig out all my info etc and write it this week end but getting back to what happend tonight one yacht main sail blew out of the stackpack and up into the air at the time this happen i was attending to yacht another (cat) which was being forced back onto pontoons of which i resolved but at this when the sail blew out i spotted harbour master and a fellow worker just watching and doing nothing now i know this sail could be worth up to 5k to 6k i raced around to yacht grab a boarding plank and jumped on board the habour master then said do you want a hand of which i replied in every know expletive to man kind where to go my blood is boiling the fellow marina worker came on board and helped me and i thank him for that very much for the help we secured the sail back some how with ropes etc and hopfuly no damage has been done except for a bent batten i have emailed the owner and informed him as for all other yachts here all are ok with a few bimini rips lucky phil (37rocks) your bedioum tent has survived except for your bimini cover.

just checked wind speed now hitting 46.7
Old 31-03-2013, 02:29   #26

Boat: Montevideo 43 sloop

Must be the same storm that hit Latchi - the new work area had a bunch of boats propped up "local style" and more than a few "fell over". A couple of sailboats and the rest power boats - one a big +60 footer... Apparently lotsa minor damage to boats on the water/docked too.
I believe it came in 2 separate storms - one after the other. Glad we are out.
I arrived in Preveza municipal dock 20 minutes before it was hit by "the biggest" of the season. +60 knots & big waves in the marina, I burst 2 fenders, neighbours wind genny blew up and the magnet (hot) bounced off the dock and hit me on the leg ??? no damage but i enjoyed an alchohol rub afterwards (from the inside)
2 local boats sank in the marina and it was quite exciting.....

ahh yes - the med is a wonderfull place to cruise

Kris