Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 00:18   #136

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Looking for Feedback On Croatia

I haven't read through this thread but just thought I would add our experience. We visited Croatia about 4 years ago, admittedly not by boat. We found it to be hugely expensive and despite the scenic Islands lying off the coast that I am sure will make it a lovely cruising destination, I am sure that the cost will (for me at least) make it a destination I will avoid. Being used to sandy beaches I also did not like the "beachfronts". We travelled along a large portion of the coast and everywhere you had to pay a hefty amount to get to the beach and when you got there, most of the time it was cemented and rocky with people lying and tanning on cement slabs.

We had looked forward to the visit, but came away very disappointed. I'm sure that if your are cruising and you stay out on anchorages it will help but the minute you step onshore you will have to pay unreasonably high prices.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 00:57   #137
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks a lot Palarran, great info. We will probably be in Montenegro in a couple of weeks, nice to hear it's beautiful and we will fill up with fuel. Pity we just filled in Rome!
Did you officially clear out of the EU before arriving in Croatia/Montenegro? Just wondering if they require official clearance before you arrive. I'd hate to have to turn a round and sail back to Italy..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:16   #138

Yes thanks Palarran, some really helpful information, we are heading to our boat (in Rome currently). Lovely to leave the New Zealand winter behind, can't wait to be out on the water.
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 15:22   #139
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ange, we left Rome a week ago. I can recomend the following along the way
Anzio - good anchorage, watch the depths on the way in though
Ponza - OK anchorages near the town
Ventotine - tie alongside the wall in the new harbour for free (no services) beautiful island, nice town, swim in the rockpools near the old harbour - crystal clear blue water with lots of sealife
Ischia - great protected anchorage under the old castle - nice town and amazing scenery - Vesuvius one way, Capri the other, lush island the other and a 2000 year old castle overhead !
Acciaroli - tie up for free alongside the breakwall (no services) the ommigadri even helps tie up and doesn't ask for $ ! Really nice town. We are there now, off toward Stromboli next, wight catch you along the way to Croatia somewhere.
Old 25-07-2013, 13:51   #140

For all you non-believers, VIP in Croatia indeed has a promotion of 1 Gb per day for 10 kuna at 64 kbps. If you use more, the rate goes down to 54 kbps. The rate gets reset every 24 hours.
Coursera, Game of Thrones, cruising pics uploaded - possibilities are endless!
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:43   #141

Hi,

Just got back from a two week bareboat in Croatia. In the 14 nights we were asked to pay only twice - once for a buoy in Vis harbour and once in a marina on south side of Hvar. Costs were 200/250 kuna respectively. Rest of the time was anchoring or "free" restaurant buoys where we would of ended up eating at anyway.
Great place - reputation of overcharging is unwarranted.
We used a company previously mentioned by somebody on this forum - Ban tours out of marina Frappa - excellent, very professional.
Stendecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:54   #142
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

nice to hear mate. I agree that most of the stuff is unwarranted, Especially South of Split. I think up North it's more of an issue. We only had one issue with paying for a buoy because it was 320kuna/night which is pretty steep (they charged extra for a cat, which is pretty lame on a mooring buoy) The rest are free anchoring or free buoys or restaurant buoys. A lot of restaurant buoys don't even care if you don't eat there. We stayed quite a few nights at some and didn't eat, or ate once at the restaurant.
I would suggest anyone planning to cruise or charter in Croatia basically plan and provision to eat at restaurants most nigth's. It makes life simpler.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:55   #143

Boat: Lagoon 440

Good to hear, we enjoyed and paid about same amount for anchoring HOWEVER the charges here in Greece are around 10% of Croatian quayside prices....
Old 15-09-2013, 06:59   #144

Boat: none yet :(

Nothing much to add to all the previous suggestions, they are all great spots. I would only suggest to go there in late August or preferably early September. It is less busy than July/August, not as hot (but still warm enough to do everything), evenings are pleasant and there is slightly more wind throughout the day.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Croatia